How about Matt Barkley huh?

14 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I like that he wanted to throw the ball downfield, we've just had so little of that for so long. Even a couple he had that were almost picked, I really didn't have a problem with. Interceptions happen sometimes when you let it rip. One in particular was on 3rd and 10 from I believe our 40 and he threw one to around the 20 that the Jets defender dropped. I'm cool with that even if it's picked, it's basically a punt. He took some chances and gave our WR's some opportunities to make plays. This is how we should always be playing, especially in a developmental season like this. 

Yeah like you say he gave our receivers chances to make plays

Something to consider--I think it was implied above--the Bengals choose to go with Barkley over McCarron as their back-up. His injury derailed that process. I think he is a career low-level starter, but high on the 2nd string QB scale; that is, he is good to have around when you need him, but never going to be a franchise QB.

So, get him signed for the long hall, keep him as insurance for Allen, and get Allen back on the field when he is healthy--he is the one QB on the roster who can lead this team to the promised land. Will he or not? Who knows? But we have to give him the chance.

I will say this..I was really impressed with his mechanics and the throw to Zay in the end zone that was the best tight window  throw all year. Nonetheless we may have found our long term backup that's a positive 

Edited by bills11
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bills11 said:

I will say this..I was really impressed with his mechanics and the throw to Zay in the end zone that was the best tight window  throw all year. Nonetheless we may have found our long term backup that's a positive 

That throw was NFL right there, with the pocket collapsing.

13 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Practice squad players practice with the team.  

It was known to be the first play of the game probably by Wednesday. You don't think they practiced it? 

It was a fly pattern up the sideline to a guy who easily beat his man. He could not have ever heard of Robert Foster and would know that if it is to his inside shoulder it's a TD. 

Some good points, but practice squad players do not get 1st team reps.  Assuming your analysis is correct on the pass,,  what QB on the team would have made a better throw?   I'd still keep Barkley starting while he's hot. 

A QB that was barely recruited and struggled at Wyoming?  A guy who did very little against severely inferior college competition? A guy that has a lot of physical ability but lacks most of the fundamentals that will allow a QB to be accurate? A guy who struggled to separate himeself from Mountain West competition? The most heavily scrutinized qb in the draft class and the one labeled most likely to bust?

Or the high school player of the year, all world recruit. 4 year starter at USC playing in big games against big time teams? Very successful college career. Projected top 10 pick in 2012. Highly polished. Highly intelligent....

When you actually look at what this is, outside of arm talent alone (which is very overrated)

Why would Allen be more likely to pan out then Barkley? They both have almost the same amount of starts. Barkley has always been behind established starters and never got a real chance to start. Everyone is making up their mind that Barkley’s ceiling is a good backup, but why?