How about Matt Barkley huh?

41 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Good question.

Allen has played well at times, enough that I’d let him play once he is fully healthy.  He can learn watching, but nothing beats learning while on the field. I believe the kid is mentally tough enough that he won’t be negatively impacted by poor outcomes.  As long as he isn’t seriously injured, which can happen at any time....for example, like walking onto a training camp practice field.

I agree with you.  I never really understood learning from th side lines thinking.  Anderson was in his ear all afternoon during the game.   Allen has the work ethic and thick skin.  I really believe he will develop into a very good starter. 

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Because he had a down year in his SR year and was injured late. Do you not agree that had he come out in his JR year he would be a top 10-15 pick? His arm was fine when that was being discussed 

It doesn't matter whether he would have come out of college sooner or later. It doesn't matter whether he was drafted in the first round or the fourth round. His arm is his arm. His performance in the pros over the past four years or so have clearly indicated what caliber of qb he actually is. Mostly because of his arm talent (or lack of) he is not a franchise caliber qb and will never be so. Without a question he played well against the Jets today. But he has been in the league for four years??. So he is a known quantity. If he was as good as you are suggesting then why hasn't he stuck with any team over the past few years? If he was as good as you think why was he out of the league when out of desperation we made a call to his California home to get him?  

We hit more down field passes today then with have hit all year with the golden boy and his cannon. Foster had no issue catching the deep balls that Barkley threw. Funny how the defense also caught none of them for a change. I saw no limitations and I hope Barkley plays until he stops playing well. I don’t care where a guy was drafted or how he got here. I just want the guy that gives us the best chance to score points, to play.

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It doesn't matter whether he would have come out of college sooner or later. It doesn't matter whether he was drafted in the first round or the fourth round. His arm is his arm. His performance in the pros over the past four years or so have clearly indicated what caliber of qb he actually is. Mostly because of his arm talent (or lack of) he is not a franchise caliber qb and will never be so. Without a question he played well against the Jets today. But he has been in the league for four years??. So he is a known quantity. If he was as good as you are suggesting then why hasn't he stuck with any team over the past few years? If he was as good as you think why was he out of the league when out of desperation we made a call to his California home to get him?  

Sometimes it takes time. Also he started 6 games for a terrible Bears team and threw for over 300 yards 3 times. He’s not Nate Peterman out there. He hasn’t gotten a chance to play a lot but he hasn’t been terrible.

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus
  • Like (+1) 1

Let’s not get it twisted. I liked what Matt did today, but this season is about  seeing what we have in Josh Allen. When healthy Josh should be our starter going forward. By continuing to allow Josh to learn on the job, we’ll have  substantial tape to refer to for evaluating and developing his talent. Today’s game may have proven fatal for Anderson and Peterman though. Go Bills!!

25 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

I agree with you.  I never really understood learning from th side lines thinking.  Anderson was in his ear all afternoon during the game.   Allen has the work ethic and thick skin.  I really believe he will develop into a very good starter. 

Imo a qb should sit if he has mechanical issues that need adjusting. Takes a while to change muscle memory. Allen was showing some progress with his footwork in camp but reverted back to his college form once pressure started getting to him. The mahomes route should have been taken but that's been discussed enough. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

20 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Imo a qb should sit if he has mechanical issues that need adjusting. Takes a while to change muscle memory. Allen was showing some progress with his footwork in camp but reverted back to his college form once pressure started getting to him. The mahomes route should have been taken but that's been discussed enough. 

Precisely!  I've been saying this for a while.  The biggest thing he needs is time to "relearn" his mechanics.  Playing and running for your life made him revert to the old habits.  If this year is all about Allen... then take the time and let him learn how play the position.    

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, H2o said:

Barkley looks like he could be our backup for the foreseeable future. I think Peterpick is finally released once DA is healthy and Barkley gets himself a backup deal in the offseason. 

I agree.  I think he plays until he falters, then Allen goes in.  Could also be the Veteran that Allen was supposed to learn from this year.  I agree he could be the long-term backup.  He was slated to be Cincy's backup pre-injury.  

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

A “good” pass by Barkley on the first play of the game hits him on the run to the inside and is a 70 yard TD. 

he had 12 days w/ this team, and who knows if he was even throwing to Foster during that time, given that Foster just got called up from the PS.  

Barkley deserves a lot of credit to play like that after being on the shelve for a while. That was a brilliant performance coming into a situation like that, What annoys me is why didn't Beane bring someone like him in sooner. Instead they would rather play a proven bum like Peterman or a burned out Vet like Anderson. Barkley, Chad Kelly, Bridgewater and players like that were available after McCarron was traded yet we stuck with Peterman? Bad management!

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I agree.  I think he plays until he falters, then Allen goes in.  Could also be the Veteran that Allen was supposed to learn from this year.  I agree he could be the long-term backup.  He was slated to be Cincy's backup pre-injury.  

he had 12 days w/ this team, and who knows if he was even throwing to Foster during that time, given that Foster just got called up from the PS.  

Practice squad players practice with the team. 

It was known to be the first play of the game probably by Wednesday. You don't think they practiced it?

It was a fly pattern up the sideline to a guy who easily beat his man. He could not have ever heard of Robert Foster and would know that if it is to his inside shoulder it's a TD. 

2 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Good question.

Allen has played well at times, enough that I’d let him play once he is fully healthy.  He can learn watching, but nothing beats learning while on the field. I believe the kid is mentally tough enough that he won’t be negatively impacted by poor outcomes.  As long as he isn’t seriously injured, which can happen at any time....for example, like walking onto a training camp practice field.

You make a good point here.  Allen is mentally tough enough to handle a poor performance on the field.  I even think he could handle being booed by the home fans as a consequence of such a performance.  What concerns me is can he handle being jerked around when it comes to starting? 

A lot of folks have suggested that the Bills should keep starting Barkley until he screws up then put Allen in.  The idea is that McDermott can tell the media and fans that Allen isn't 100% healthy yet.  But what if Allen is 100% healthy and raring to go what then?  Does he play along with the coach and tell folks he's still not healthy?    I highly doubt it.  So what happens when the media asks Allen about his health.  IMO they need to keep this simple if Allen is almost 100% start him. 

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I'm not sure how much you have watched him in his career. He's very capable of good games. He has a BAD arm, which is why he was drafted in round four and has been released by five different teams. He showed it today. He should have had a couple picks. He threw about three extremely weak out patterns which was what killed Nate. He's just like Nate only slightly smarter and slightly better arm. But this has been his history.

He's not even a good backup. At all. Before today he has a 63 passer rating, 8-18 TD/INT. And that is with a few 300 yard games and games like today.

The difference is Peterman actually throws the picks and Barkley didn't. One of his passes today probably should have been picked. I'm okay with that when he played so well otherwise. Does he have a cannon arm, of course not, but neither do Brady, Dalton, Cousins, and plenty of other viable QBs from the average to the elite. The Patriots offense, the same offense we are running, is not predicated on arm strength. You can overcome an average arm with timing and decision making and accuracy. Barkley showed all of those traits today. The passes that could have been picked were poor decisions. His arm was strong enough to move the ball consistently.

Of course it is much more likely than not that Barkley will regress to his normal play if we continue to start him. The chance of him becoming our franchise QB must be around 10%. But I want to know for sure. After a performance like he had today I think he has earned the opportunity to prove it was not just a fluke. It would be different if we had a definite franchise QB waiting in the wings but we don't, and Allen will have plenty of chances over the next 2 seasons to show what he can do.

I wonder what Daboll is thinking right now. For the first time all season his offense was consistent at moving the ball and scoring points. I wonder if he is in a hurry to make a change so quickly.

6 hours ago, davefan66 said:

He Looked good.  If he keeps this up, locked in the backup position.  Bye, bye Peterman.

Hopefully our coaching staff doesn’t coach what he did out of him.  He seemed to just play.  Not a robot doing what he was told. Had command of the huddle and winged it.

Haha, this is what I was thinking. The fact that he hasn't been around McDermott and Daboll could've actually been very beneficial. Hopefully they won't ruin him and he can become a serviceable backup. 

6 minutes ago, akcash said:

I don't think the offense just suddenly clicked and everything came together magically... No the difference was Barkley... He's the reason the offense came together. I think he deserves way more credit than he's getting.

I like that he wanted to throw the ball downfield, we've just had so little of that for so long. Even a couple he had that were almost picked, I really didn't have a problem with. Interceptions happen sometimes when you let it rip. One in particular was on 3rd and 10 from I believe our 40 and he threw one to around the 20 that the Jets defender dropped. I'm cool with that even if it's picked, it's basically a punt. He took some chances and gave our WR's some opportunities to make plays. This is how we should always be playing, especially in a developmental season like this. 

Edited by HomeskillitMoorman

6 hours ago, davefan66 said:

He Looked good.  If he keeps this up, locked in the backup position.  Bye, bye Peterman.

Hopefully our coaching staff doesn’t coach what he did out of him.  He seemed to just play.  Not a robot doing what he was told. Had command of the huddle and winged it.

Peterman's gone regardless. The fact that they signed 2 journeymen QBs (1 who hasn't started since 2016) and started them over Peterman says he's done.