An Honorable Salute To Our TBD Veterans

OldTimeAFLGuy

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

As a Navy veteran (1989 - 1993) during the Gulf War, I can honestly say that I was never really put in harm's way; I was in more danger during counter-narcotics operations that we did with the Coast Guard.  Still nothing compared to the boots on the ground.

Combat Veterans, in my opinion, deserve the most gratitude and praise.  They are on another level, if you ask me.

They are the ones who need our support the most.  About 12% of the nation's homeless adults are Veterans (over 20 million) .... many of those combat vets.

PTSD is real.  Many are also dealing with substance abuse issues.  Many lose their families and their homes.

Many of your towns and/or counties have local NFP organizations who help vets in your area.  I urge you to consider donating food, money and/or time to these organizations.  Many of the nationally run organizations use your money to pay executives six-figure salaries.  Please go local, if you can.

God Bless our combat vets.

I couldn't agree more.  I served in the Air Force (7 yrs)...during peace time, and have such a high regard for those who have been put in harm's way, serving in combat areas.  They truly deserve a special thanks.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, BuffaloSol said:

Be careful that WT sneaks up on ya quick!

Yeah.. no freaking kidding. That weight sneaks up like a Tsunami. I speak from experience. If I was recalled from retirement, I'd have to buy new larger uniforms.

That bi-yearly weigh-in and risk of being thrown out keeps you inline.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jkeerie said:

I couldn't agree more.  I served in the Air Force (7 yrs)...during peace time, and have such a high regard for those who have been put in harm's way, serving in combat areas.  They truly deserve a special thanks.

Same here brother, 4 years USAF.....peace time and not ashamed to be thankful for that!

I would like to give a personal "shout out" thanks to my close family members who served in combat.

Brother Jerry - USAF Vietnam Veteran

Father Louis - US Army Air Corp WW2 B-26 Radio Operator Pacific Theatre

Uncle Florian - US Army WW2 - Battle of the Bulge Veteran - Purple Heart recipient

Uncle Richard - USAF Korean War Veteran

Grandfather Louis - WW1 Infantry - Purple Heart recipient

This years 100 Anniversary of the WW1 Armistice hold special meaning to me.

I still remember going thru my grandfather's trunk containing his doughboy uniform, medals and memorabilia.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Same here brother, 4 years USAF.....peace time and not ashamed to be thankful for that!

I would like to give a personal "shout out" thanks to my close family members who served in combat.

Uncle Florian - US Army WW2 - Battle of the Bulge Veteran - Purple Heart recipient

I still remember going thru my grandfather's trunk containing his doughboy uniform, medals and memorabilia.

Actually...it's "sister".  My Dad used to joke, "I have three sons, but my daughter's a captain in the Air Force."

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Actually...it's "sister".  My Dad used to joke, "I have three sons, but my daughter's a captain in the Air Force."

A pox upon me Ma'am for doing the old man assuming.  Served with many Air Force sisters down in Homestead and Eglin!

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

A pox upon me Ma'am for doing the old man assuming.  Served with many Air Force sisters down in Homestead and Eglin!

No worries.   In truth given this is a football forum, I would presume the odds are in favor of a predominantly male representation.   You simply guessed wrong.  ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

....wow CB, that certainly is an impressive list and quite the military family!...:thumbsup:....my late father was a WWII bombardier on a B-24 Liberator in Europe....actually served with the late crooner Tennessee Ernie Ford.....

17 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....wow CB, that certainly is an impressive list and quite the military family!...:thumbsup:....my late father was a WWII bombardier on a B-24 Liberator in Europe....actually served with the late crooner Tennessee Ernie Ford.....

After reading your reply I must indicate that they ALL were drafted!  Some signed to different branches to avoid the more dangerous jobs.

They were called, served, and came home as soon as they could to live their lives.

I guess that is why most combat vets all say the real hero's are the ones that didn't come home.

ps.  Cool story about your Dad.

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

After reading your reply I must indicate that they ALL were drafted!  Some signed to different branches to avoid the more dangerous jobs.

They were called, served, and came home as soon as they could to live their lives.

I guess that is why most combat vets all say the real hero's are the ones that didn't come home.

ps.  Cool story about your Dad.

...my draft number was 232 but classified as 4-F.......a flunky............

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...my draft number was 232 but classified as 4-F.......a flunky............

Crazy days.  I wonder how many young people don't realize what it was like during those years.

I watched 2 older brothers who had to sit thru watching the TV,  "Live from Washington DC,  It's the 197X Draft Lottery".

My brothers number was 14.  He joined the Air Force the next day.

35 minutes ago, jkirchofer said:

I was USAF for almost five years before I was medically retired for having a bad neck. Actually found the TBD community whiled deployed in '09.

<smartass reply>

How does one get a bad neck in the chair force?

</smartass reply>

Sincerely,

Former Artilleryman

:P

• Haha (+1) 1