Today’s game does not ease my concerns about McDermott

cgg716

It was good to see that after 5 tries they seem to have the backup QB position heading in the right direction.

And after season and a half it was good to see some speed at the WR and KR/PR positions.  

So better late than never.  With the bye week and Allen returning, maybe they can start building and adding to their defense success.

Win as many games as possible, target the 10-15 spot in the draft and trade that down for as many day 1 and 2 picks as possible.  Build the offense next year and let the defense do their thing.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

It’s gotta be Allen. Nothing can be accomplished by starting Barkley

That's reasonable but a lot of rookie QBs do benefit from watching instead of trying to survive.  What about the other question -- do Peterman and Anderson get cut, or just Peterman?

10 minutes ago, Utah John said:

That's reasonable but a lot of rookie QBs do benefit from watching instead of trying to survive.  What about the other question -- do Peterman and Anderson get cut, or just Peterman?

Just Peterman, if any of them do. Anderson's job looks to be mentoring Allen.

25 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

All this game does is confirm 100% what a very large majority of our fans knew. Without legit QB play you are absolutely ***** in this league.  

Barkley just gave us one of the better performances the Bills have seen since Orton. 

Our O-line magically appears to be great

Our RB's look like pro-bowlers

Our Wr's look NFL caliber. Excluding KB

Until we get consistent QB play like seen today we will continue to blow. Let's go Allen! Barkley is now a decent back up plan.

^ this.  Add to that that the defense was legit today.  I was skeptical based on their performance against McCown in NY last year.  Good to see Shaq Lawson coming into his own.

He has made some typically poor moves that defensive-minded coaches make. The question is whether he learns from those mistakes.

I think you give this front office time to clear the dead wood and cap, and see if the foundation they lay with draft picks and FA signings starts trending in the right direction.

1 hour ago, cgg716 said:

Thought he did some good things to cross up their D. Best game he has called to date. It was the jets though, let’s see if he can string it together 

Daboll carved up a good defense today with a guy who was throwing on some high school field 2  weeks ago.  nuf said.

1 hour ago, cgg716 said:

I KNOW they cut Mccarron, named Peterman the starter, replaced him after one half, and left him as the only backup for weeks. Those things I know. And I know he’s still on the roster, though let’s hope that changes tomm

McCarron was traded

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Daboll carved up a good defense today with a guy who was throwing on some high school field 2  weeks ago.  nuf said.

He also didn’t score a TD for a month. And put up 6 against NE. It’s been more bad than good. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves 

Just now, CSBill said:

McCarron was traded

True. Doesn’t change the mismanagement 

1 hour ago, cgg716 said:

It’s a nice win, feels good to have one. Did many good things, but also something interesting came to light I think. This is not a tank and it never was. A QB came right off the street, limited playbook and played a competent game. Easy opponent sure, but competent nonetheless. Blaming the talent holds a little less weight now 

To me it’s proof that they were attempting to win all along and honestly believed, first that Mccarron couldn’t, then that Peterman could, then Anderson. Didn’t see fit to retain or acquire a true no 2 QB behind Allen at a minimum. Not because they weren’t trying to win, but because they honestly thought they had one. So I still worry about how they will handle the rest of the offense. Cross your fingers 

Lucky, your opinion doesn't matter to me, but thanks for sharing

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Tanking in the NFL does not mean you literally try to lose. You shed overpriced contracts and accumulate draft picks, which leads to a couple bad years. Of course we still game plan and try to win each game, but if you think we are selling out to win with $50 million in dead cap and a rookie QB you're nuts.

The coach is never tanking, he's always trying to win with whatever he has.  The GM, he can easily be looking down the road and as you said shed contracts, etc..  Does that mean McD hasn't been consulted on every roster move, certainly was on board.  But when Sunday rolls around McD and even Beane to a lesser degree are trying their hardest and doing everything they can to win.

2 hours ago, cgg716 said:

It’s a nice win, feels good to have one. Did many good things, but also something interesting came to light I think. This is not a tank and it never was. A QB came right off the street, limited playbook and played a competent game. Easy opponent sure, but competent nonetheless. Blaming the talent holds a little less weight now 

To me it’s proof that they were attempting to win all along and honestly believed, first that Mccarron couldn’t, then that Peterman could, then Anderson. Didn’t see fit to retain or acquire a true no 2 QB behind Allen at a minimum. Not because they weren’t trying to win, but because they honestly thought they had one. So I still worry about how they will handle the rest of the offense. Cross your fingers 

I doubt anything would erase your concerns.  McDermott coached a team that over achieved to the playoffs in his first year.  This was to be a tear down year to get out from under our dead money.  We could win five or six games this year.  Your expectations are unrealistic. 

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Tanking in the NFL does not mean you literally try to lose. You shed overpriced contracts and accumulate draft picks, which leads to a couple bad years. Of course we still game plan and try to win each game, but if you think we are selling out to win with $50 million in dead cap and a rookie QB you're nuts.

Thank you!  Well said. 

It is a rebuild, plain as day. 

They felt that that in order to ever have a chance at being a great team that can compete year in and year out, they had to make some serious changes to the way things were done at One Bills Drive from top to bottom. 

They wanted to build this team with a specific type of player and establish a specific type of culture, and that meant taking a step back, clearing out the guys that weren’t on board or didn’t fit and cleaning up the cap mess (we were nearly a cap team even though our best season in about 2 decades was 9-7) while accumulating picks and building through the draft. 

I, for one, am glad to see the Bills finally get away from half measures and bandaid fixes. 

Fhis is new regime has been very aggressive in their vision and I am anxious to see how it works out. You have to give them some time, though. 

Honestly this game only adds further fuel to the fire of McD not being able to judge talent.  Teller looked better than Ducasse and Miller in preseason and looked fine but not stellar today. McD has chosen Peterman over TT, AJ, and Allen. Wrong x 3. Jury is still out on Daboll. Gaines started how many games before he was cut.  He never made a play all year.  Multiple other players have been better at CB. Foster is the only guy that can get deep and he cut him and risked losing him. Yes it was a low risk but again it shows he doesn't judge talent well. Lawson looks better each week and better than PED Murphy has ever in a Bills uniform. Murphy doesn't even deserve a roster spot.

20 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

I doubt anything would erase your concerns.  McDermott coached a team that over achieved to the playoffs in his first year.  This was to be a tear down year to get out from under our dead money.  We could win five or six games this year.  Your expectations are unrealistic. 

Dead money he created because he couldn't or didn't want to coach Dareus and Watkins. 

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

To "tank" is by definition to "fail completely".

In sports......it is to INTENTIONALLY fail completely.

The same people saying that the team is tanking this year said that they were tanking last year...........you were wrong both times.

Well it's not just a new QB. We had new guys playing on line. Sirles and Tellar. We had faster receivers with Foster, Pryor and McKenzie. And a new backup RB with Murphy. So it wasn't just one new addition. It's amazing how much our offense can open up with better pass protection and recievers who could gain separation.