Edit 2: The Bills back to #2 Total Yd D; Ravens 66 yards better against th Bucs

7 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Well, they still have Murphy and Hughes really rebounded well and has become a complete DE. It will be interesting to see how they handle this DE situation with 3 starters.

Also, I expect the focus this offseason to be on WR and OL, but they will also be adding an outside CB and DT and possibly others. They could get better. Maybe give up more yards, but still be better.

True, but when your O is going 3 and out so much or turning it over in their own end, those numbers can get skewed.

The defense end situation will always be a rotation.  If you are familiar with how he likes to play the big fellas up front, the rotation keeps everyone fresh.  There are some holes on that side as well as a some age but the offense should definitely be the priority.  We've watched Dawkins develop into our future LT.  Zay Jones has developed a lot this year and hopefully continues to get better, looking like he could be a solid 2 option.  Teller is getting his chance now and looked solid yesterday.  Those extra 4th and 5th round picks could turn out to be impact players if they keep drafting the way they are drafting...Johnson, Milano and now potentially Teller.  Get ready for another big roster turnover offseason, this time on the offense.  

7 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

I can’t say I agree with your assessment.

Has it helped statistically? Possibly.

But if you have watched all 10 games this year , you should come to the conclusion that the Bills defence is pretty damn good

Well, stats are all I'm referring to. I agree that they're a good defense.

6 hours ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

That's not on the defense. If this defense was playing with an offense like the ones that the Chiefs or Rams have, you wouldn't be talking. 

Chiefs have an awful defense but look at their record. That’s my point. McDermott is putting the cart before the horse. 

10 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

Wow, seriously? Please break down how this is stupid.

Coincidentally, Mike Schopp said the same thing post-game.

When you're down big, teams let the foot off the gas, therefore gaining fewer yards. The stat we're talking about is total yards.

Yours is the stupid post, bud.

Wow, Mike Schopp, that settles it, you brought in the heavyweight, no disputing him. Don't worry, six games to go there will be more to wine about and throw temper tantrums! Did you ever try just enjoying the win?

15 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

The defense end situation will always be a rotation.  If you are familiar with how he likes to play the big fellas up front, the rotation keeps everyone fresh.  There are some holes on that side as well as a some age but the offense should definitely be the priority.  We've watched Dawkins develop into our future LT.  Zay Jones has developed a lot this year and hopefully continues to get better, looking like he could be a solid 2 option.  Teller is getting his chance now and looked solid yesterday.  Those extra 4th and 5th round picks could turn out to be impact players if they keep drafting the way they are drafting...Johnson, Milano and now potentially Teller.  Get ready for another big roster turnover offseason, this time on the offense.  

Great post!

5 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Chiefs have an awful defense but look at their record. That’s my point. McDermott is putting the cart before the horse. 

The Bills had a bend but don't break defense and the no huddle point machine from 90 - 93; the Giants, Skins, and Cowboys had great defense and I'm sure you know the end of the story. 

11 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

Watch people cite this during the offseason, expecting a repeat performance next year. Those folks will be surprised when the standings are worse next year. The Bills are the number one defense because teams have let off the gas so much in second halves.

Have you been watching the games recently?  The reason this defense gives up most of their points is because of our offense putting them in garbage situations or a pick six.  They held the Pats and Pack to mostly field goals and with any offense we could have won those games.  The defense is definitely a very good defense and it's led by our young talent so why wouldn't it improve?  Plus with an improved offense, they will probably keep their intensity up and not let off themselves. The D absolutely dominated against Houston.  All the fans complaining that we didn't take Watson and we made him look like a toddler with the ball out there.  Nate gave up 14 points.  Are you sure we are watching the same thing?

Edited by Buffalo30
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, vorpma said:

The Bills had a bend but don't break defense and the no huddle point machine from 90 - 93; the Giants, Skins, and Cowboys had great defense and I'm sure you know the end of the story. 

I know that the Bills were undisciplined. I know Marv mismanaged those games. And I know that was an era long gone. 

1 minute ago, The_Dude said:

I know that the Bills were undisciplined. I know Marv mismanaged those games. And I know that was an era long gone. 

The point I am making is defense, good defense still wins games and gets you in the playoffs; brought into the modern era for you!

6 minutes ago, vorpma said:

The point I am making is defense, good defense still wins games and gets you in the playoffs; brought into the modern era for you!

Ok. But it doesn’t. I mean of course the exception to the rule pops up here and there. But feel free to believe in backwards ideologies. 

12 hours ago, Cmdjr85 said:

yes they are #1 in yard per game allowed at 302. 

19th or so in ppg allowed

#2 in passing yards per game

The defense has been fantastic, I think the yards are down partly because of some of the blowouts the Bills have lost and won, the fourth quarters have sometimes been both teams trying to just get the game over.  But the points being higher is partly due to the turnovers by the Bills offense, not just the pick sixes, also the short fields and three and outs.   Also, this defense totally changed after the first half of week two when McDermott took things over and showed Frasier how its done.   All in all, I am not sure I consider these guys the best defense in the league but based on yards given up they are.  They are definitely one of the better defenses in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

D2D ...  It is nice to see a dominant D

Per ESPN...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

Total D

# 8 Total Yards

# 1 total YPG

# 5 passing yards

# 2 passing YPG

# 8 total rushing Yards

# 12 rushing YPG

# 25 total points allowed

# 19 points per game allowed

12 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

Watch people cite this during the offseason, expecting a repeat performance next year. Those folks will be surprised when the standings are worse next year. The Bills are the number one defense because teams have let off the gas so much in second halves.

Umm not really. But its a good theory. Just completely wrong.

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Have you been watching the games recently?  The reason this defense gives up most of their points is because of our offense putting them in garbage situations or a pick six.  They held the Pats and Pack to mostly field goals and with any offense we could have won those games.  The defense is definitely a very good defense and it's led by our young talent so why wouldn't it improve?  Plus with an improved offense, they will probably keep their intensity up and not let off themselves. The D absolutely dominated against Houston.  All the fans complaining that we didn't take Watson and we made him look like a toddler with the ball out there.  Nate gave up 14 points.  Are you sure we are watching the same thing?

I'm sorry, but that's just not how it works. Again, I am referring ONLY to defensive ranking in terms of yards allowed. The Bills may well be a better defense next year in terms of points allowed or other measures, but they will not be the "#1 defense" because this is based on yards. It never works this way in the NFL. When you have a great offense, you typically have a middle-of-the-road defense statistically.

Again, the Bills do have a great defense. That is not at argument.

11 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

When you're down big, teams let the foot off the gas, therefore gaining fewer yards. The stat we're talking about is total yards.

This has some truth to it.  

The D was pretty good last season, they are looking good this season in most areas and I think it will carry over even more IF and when the offense starts to generate sustained drives.

Your "best defense" is a good offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

This has some truth to it.  

The D was pretty good last season, they are looking good this season in most areas and I think it will carry over even more IF and when the offense starts to generate sustained drives.

Your "best defense" is a good offense. 

The defense is an absolute joy to watch when the offense is sustaining drives. Absolutely stifling. Playing fast, hitting, to’s. Let’s not forgot the offense literally gift wrapping 28 pts on to’s over previous 3 games skews our points against numbers as well. 

There are probably 5 or 6 playoff offenses that would give a kidney for the bills d. 

12 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

Wow, seriously? Please break down how this is stupid.

Coincidentally, Mike Schopp said the same thing post-game.

Yours is the stupid post, bud.

If you're losing big it means the other team already put up a bunch of yards so you're weighing the second half without considering the first half.  Good math guy

• Like (+1) 1