Edit 2: The Bills back to #2 Total Yd D; Ravens 66 yards better against th Bucs

This tells you how much offense matters in this league if anything.   Buffalo has a poor offense to go with a top defense and is 3-7.   On the other side of the coin, you have the Chiefs who have one of the worst defenses but find themselves in the top 5 due to an offense that has adjusted greatly to the new NFL.

Is still is a nice thing to have and a bright spot in what has been a dismal season at times.   Without this defense, the Bills are either winless or 1-9 getting their first win today.   Hopefully, they can keep this going for the rest of the season and carry it into next year.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

3 teams in that top 5 with only 3 wins each

Wow, and that is telling.

Btw, philly needs about 60 yards or so in the second half to solidify number 1 for the Bills against the Dallas D.

Edit: sorry, closer to 80 yards.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

Well, considering almost all of this defense is coming back next year, it’s a good thing.  

I don't think people know how hard it is to be that good on D when the offense is going 3 and out so much...  They have the chance to be really good for a long time.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I was about to say that I don't usually take stock in yardage because too many things can skew that … such as the opponents average starting field position.  I figured with all the turnovers that the opponents didn't really have much field to cover, which would make that stat look good.  Then I looked it up.  Not sure if its entirely accurate, but according to the website I looked at the opponents avg starting field position was the 32 yardline.  So yes, bravo defense.  They have been pretty jekyl and hyde, but looked amazing in a lot of games.  I mean they held the Pats to 9 points for a large portion of the game.

When you have a crappy offense that doesn’t get a lot of first downs the defense has 2-3 more possessions a game to defend. Not to mention field position like you said. Or momentum. Or emotion. Or other stuff that affects play. It’s really a testament to this defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

The fact they are pulling this off with the kind of albatross they’ve been dragging around with them all year in the way of a terrible O, minus some exceptions like today, is even more amazing. I haven’t looked it up, but I’m guessing the total number of minutes played has to be up there too, since the number of 3 and outs by the O before today constantly would put added pressure on them...definitely speaks to coaching and not having a loser locker room mentality creeping in, luckily. 

5 hours ago, Success said:

In the old days, this would at least have us in playoff contention.

Not in the old days, in these days too. All you have to do is have an offense that isn't the worst in the past decade. If you have a below average offense you go to the playoffs with the #1 defense.

We're going into a weaker part of our schedule, so there's a chance the Bills keep that ranking all the way to the end, if they keep it up.

Anybody know if there are examples over the last few years of the team with the #1 defense not making the playoffs?

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

Watch people cite this during the offseason, expecting a repeat performance next year. Those folks will be surprised when the standings are worse next year. The Bills are the number one defense because teams have let off the gas so much in second halves.

I can’t say I agree with your assessment.

Has it helped statistically? Possibly.

But if you have watched all 10 games this year , you should come to the conclusion that the Bills defence is pretty damn good

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

Shaq was solid against the run before, people didn't' give him the credit he deserved because his sack numbers weren't there yet.  It takes time for defensive lineman to adjust.  It's a major adjustment going from college offensive lineman to NFL offensive lineman.  He has found his place in this defense and he needs to stay healthy the rest of the year and keep playing this well to cement it moving forward.  I like the kid a lot but he needs to stay on the field.  Many thought he was on his way out but it looks like he may be staying for a while now.

Well, they still have Murphy and Hughes really rebounded well and has become a complete DE. It will be interesting to see how they handle this DE situation with 3 starters.

Also, I expect the focus this offseason to be on WR and OL, but they will also be adding an outside CB and DT and possibly others. They could get better. Maybe give up more yards, but still be better.

43 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I love a lot about the D this year but being #1 in yards allowed, to me pales in comparison to being #1 in points allowed.

True, but when your O is going 3 and out so much or turning it over in their own end, those numbers can get skewed.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, The_Dude said:

And what that doing for their record?

It's a valid question. It's just the offense has been that Bad... I think today proves though, that the D would be even better with a competent offense.. The great part is almost the whole D will be back , while also adding pieces , they can have long term, sustainable success that way

57 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Well, they still have Murphy and Hughes really rebounded well and has become a complete DE. It will be interesting to see how they handle this DE situation with 3 starters.

Also, I expect the focus this offseason to be on WR and OL, but they will also be adding an outside CB and DT and possibly others. They could get better. Maybe give up more yards, but still be better.

True, but when your O is going 3 and out so much or turning it over in their own end, those numbers can get skewed.

Agreed.  I was more just making the general point about which stat I believe better correlates to a "good" D.  I think if the O this year was just average on a consistent game to game basis this D would likely be top 3 in points allowed.  Games seem to get away from them late after the O continues to do nothing.