Edit 2: The Bills back to #2 Total Yd D; Ravens 66 yards better against th Bucs

6 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

is there anyway we could preface this whole thread with "total yardage" defense.

its pretty clear they aren't the top "overall" defense.

There you go, Stank.

Although, I can't believe this thread is even still a thing.  This was very much more of a Fall NFL season thing, as opposed to a Holiday or Winter one.

On 11/20/2018 at 1:00 PM, MAJBobby said:

And that top defense has gotten us to a grand total of 3 wins. 

This year

i think the key is we need balance which is why I am really against taking a defense player with our first pick next year

give me a trade down then offensive player

or jonah

or little

or harry

or metcalf

or Deebo in the 2nd

52 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Thoroughly gashed by the Fish and Jets and Lions

Thoroughly gashed? Miami had under 200 yards total offense, Jets under 300 and Lions barely over 300.

That's nowhere near gashed that's actually well below average...

15 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Thoroughly gashed? Miami had under 200 yards total offense, Jets under 300 and Lions barely over 300.

That's nowhere near gashed that's actually well below average...

I think it is the 4th quarter drives row 33 is talking about 

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

But what does this have to do with a league average defensive stat

bottom line you have to be able to score points if you want to win consistently in the nfl

we will get there we have the qb

Nothing. I was just pointing to what the poster was trying to convey. Three mediocre QBs waltzed down the field late. Doesn’t show on the stat line but two resulted in losses which show in that meaningful standings list. 

Really? Points are the barometer of the game? What a concept.....

14 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

Bills D is still a mirage. Good but not the #1 D in the league. The numbers look better from playing on short fields due to some putrid special teams and offensive play.

Ill agree to some degree here. We are definitely playing a bend not break d but to me we dont look dominant like the numbers suggest

54 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

How do they look better due to our putrid st play?

would this not put us at a bigger disadvantage

The Defensive Ranking is based on yardage only.  So when your poor tackling ST lets an opponent start on the 40-50 yd line or even in your territory, the D is giving up less yards than if the opponent had to drive 80+ yds to score.  With all of Peterman and Anderson's INT's in their own territory, this D has had a lot less yards to defend before giving up points.  The Bills are 15th in the NFL points allowed. 

These stats don't account for sacks, turnovers and red-zone efficiency, only yards.  Yeah we haven't given up a lot of yards, but this Defense has not created enough INT (13th) , Sacks (23rd)  Fumble Recoveries (11th)  or game changing plays (0 DEF TD- tied for last in the league ) to win games like Chicago, Baltimore, Tennessee, Houston, Denver, Minnesota, Seattle, who I would say all have considerably better defenses and teams that the Bills.

Just for kicks the Bills DST in fantasy football is 22nd.   They may keep us in some games, but they haven't really won any either.  We need to get better in all three phases to be a consistent playoff team.