If McDermott doesn't start Barkley against Jacksonville he should be Fired

Kevin1778

1 minute ago, tcampbell104 said:

i hope you didnt think they had a better qb situation

After 2 games, no. But like coach, I wanted him to sit most, if not all season. JMO and coach's. Again, that's how I read it. If you don't, kool. 

On 11/11/2018 at 3:26 PM, Kevin1778 said:

We have a quarterback folks. Sure the Jets are the worst team in the NFL right now but Barkley throws the ball down the field and is light years ahead of Allen. 

Barkley

Allen

Thomas (Emergency)

No need for Anderson or Peterman.

If someone isn't fired, they should be FIRED!!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...six seasons vs six starts is a valid comparison............

The narrative has been that no matter who plays QB, the Bills are going to be atrocious on offense.

This is not a Barkley vs. Allen thing. Barkley played well above his ability, but he demonstrated that the offensive talent isn't as atrocious as they've been made out to be. They're well below average, but good quarterback play masks a lot of deficiencies. 

Not saying Allen is going to worry about losing his job long term to Barkley, but the excuses for poor play are slightly diminished. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

kevin1778 has an “excellent community reputation”.  We should change the way reputation is measured imo.  That’s ridiculous 

Hah!!  I think you found a glitch in the program. 

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

kevin1778 has an “excellent community reputation”.  We should change the way reputation is measured imo.  That’s ridiculous 

I have an excellent reputation because clearly my posts influence McDermott and all his decisions. ?

We have a quarterback folks. Sure the Jets are the worst team in the NFL right now but Barkley throws the ball down the field and is light years ahead of Allen. 

Barkley

Allen

Thomas (Emergency)

Dumbest take ever. The goal is to develop Allen. That’s it! 

4 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Why?

Is Barkley not a MUCH better vet to learn from than Peterman? Of course he is.

Was Allen benched in lieu of Barkly? No.

Does sitting behind a vet hurt Allen's development? No.

Does it help Allen's development? Many would argue yes.

There also seems to be this idea that this season is about one player, and one player only. It's not. To say it is is ludicrous. In fact, it sure wouldn't hurt this team to develop some of our WRs with some actual competent QB play-- Zay, Foster, Ray Ray, et al. Would they develop better behind Barkley, or Allen? The answer seems obvious.

I've made this argument many times on this site: You don't build a winning culture by losing. And, this team is capable of winning. Barkley proved that Sunday. Personally, I would much rather watch the Bills beat the Jags, than watch them lose to get Allen an opportunity to "develop." I think it's better for the team as a whole.

Barkley is great now but as soon as he starts losing the call for Allen will be coming from everyone. Anyone thinking Barkley is anymore than a backup is fooling themselves.Then when Allen struggles the call to draft another QB will begin. There is why playing for a losing organization is so difficult. When the results are not instant people are ready to move to the next thing.

Teams change from year to year. Winning culture has more to do with building a foundation, a standard, that everyone from the top to the bottom of the organization follows. The wins come from everyone working toward this goal. The first step in building that winning culture is having a franchise QB. Barkley is not that guy so with the season almost out of reach the focus should be on the younger players. What Barkley demonstrated was that he could be the potential answer at backup QB and deserves opportunity to return to the team next year.

The more live reps Allen can get the better prepared he will be for next year. Would I be willing to trade an extra 1-2 wins this year to make a leap next year. The answer would be yes I would. If Allen turns into that franchise QB we have been searching so long for would make all the struggles worth it.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Dopey said:

Okay all those links are columnists extrapolating one comment from McDermott about it being a fluid situation and McCarron/Peterman getting to start with the ones at the beginning of Training Camp and adding their own opinions on Allen’s readiness. 

Regardless, the Coaching Staff and FO moved Allen up the depth chart as camp went along and he started the third preseason game. 

None of it matters, the cat is out of bag, you can’t unsee Allen as the starter and so he’s back in as soon as he is able. 

17 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

The occasional refrain of "so-and-so should be fired if they don't do something-or-other" is ridiculous, and tiring.

Be that as it may, there are quite a few posters these boards-- intelligent posters, whose opinions I respect-- who seem to believe that there is no question, but that Allen will start vs. the Jags, and any notion of McD rolling with Barkley is crazytalk. Other posters are making ridiculous statements like "the whole point of this seasons to develop Allen," or some such nonsense. 

I completely disagree. Yes, Allen's development is important. But, I have to believe that McD, Beane, and Pegula still want to win games. In my opinion, the decision on who to start will come down to who will give us the best chance to win. Barkley's performance vs. the Jets was the best QB play we have seen all year (and it's not close), and some may argue for the last couple years. 

And, will sitting Allen hurt his development? The WRs looked miles better with Barkley. Wouldn't it help Allen's development if when he did take the field, the WR corp were also better developed? Could Barkley help develop our piss-poor WR group?

If McD decides to start Barkley vs. the Jags, it will be an easy decision to make.

That is a ridiculous statement. Were that the case, there never would have been a QB competition in TC. Peterman would not have started week one, and McD would have said, right after the Jets game, that Allen would be the starter as soon as he was healthy.

Barkley versus the Jets: 15-25 232 2TDs - negative rushing yards and no TDs

Allen versus the Vikings:  15-22 196 yds 1 TD - 39 rushing yards 2 TDs

Might need to rethink your statement.  Allen’s game against Minnesota was every bit as good or better because he did not benefit Shady being available and only had Ivory to run the ball.  Allen accounted for 3 TDs, more yards, a better completion percentage - pretty much every measure was as good or better.

Allen even had to do it with the Bills giving KB starter snaps - let’s see what happens with this younger more excited group of receivers.

Now - the way I look at it is exactly like McDermott stated - if Allen is 100% he starts - if not then Barkley can start.  The difference is they were close to having to start Allen at 60-75% because they could not put Peterman out again.  Now they have an option and if they feel an additional week helps Allen - let him sit.  If he is 100% and ready to go - let him play.  You no longer have to rush him back to the starting lineup.  

I would also also like to see them IR Anderson- so he can still be with the team and help out, but there is no chance he plays.  If you want another QB - go get a guy right now and begin getting him ready, but I do not want to see Anderson play again (and honestly I don’t think he wants to play again).

• Like (+1) 1

Barkley

Allen

Thomas (Emergency)

you should be fired, regardless of who starts.

Edited by dickleyjones

15 hours ago, Dopey said:

With a better qb situation, he would have sat most, if not all year. From what I have read, that's the feeling I get. They definitely drafted him with thoughts of sitting him and bringing him along slowly.

Done.

I think the coach made it clear all offseason - they were not handing him the job - he needed to earn it.  They started him with the 3’s, but by the third preseason game - he was with the ones - so that suggests the sitting behind someone was less of an option.  If game 3 had gone better - JA would have started game 1 - there is little doubt about that.  It did not go well - so they pulled him back and left him at number 2.

Additionally the coach talked about both his time in Philadelphia (McNabb sitting) and Carolina (Cam starting) and saying that both options worked.  

What I took away from the coach and those articles was ideally they have a starting QB that allows Josh to sit 4-10 weeks and he gets about 6-10 starts on the season.  It did not work that way, but now he has had time to sit and when ready it is time to get him back out.  He must be 100% healthy though.

• Like (+1) 1

Barkley is a known commodity and he couldn't make the Bengals roster this year. He has a 2-5 record as a starter and poor stats overall. I'm not ready to just hand the job over to him based on just 1 game. Too many posters here judge players on just a few good or bad games.

• Like (+1) 1

i say barkley absolutely should start.   there's 52 other guys that want to win and build resumes.  if they want barkley to continue, you can bet that goes along way with this staff.

....and not to mention what if?  what if we run the table and go 9-7?  we have the no.1 defense. think about it.  let's say the pats drop games to minn. / pitt and at miami.

we could beat them for the division by beating them at home in late dec.  a tie then would be in our favor.

it could be a christmas miracle!  this season is not lost!  didn't the giants come back from this record a few years back to go to the sb?

• Like (+1) 2