If McDermott doesn't start Barkley against Jacksonville he should be Fired

Kevin1778

21 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I'm mixed up. I really want to see Barkley as much as possible, and figure out what to make of Allen as fast as possible. We need to know if Allen is really the guy.

JMO but I'd just go with the hot hand in Barkley with Barkley and Allen having a mutual understanding that they may be getting shuffled the depth chart going forward around to get a sense of next year's Quarterback situation. Nothing negative about getting benched but ride a hot hand until it's over and see if the other dude rides a hot streak.

Um no.  Allen is the franchise.  I could see it if we were 5-5 or something but we arnt.

36 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Ridiculous. This season on O is 100% about Allen getting as many reps as possible. Starting Barkley in lieu of Allen gives us yet another losing season with no upside. 

32 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

The occasional refrain of "so-and-so should be fired if they don't do something-or-other" is ridiculous, and tiring.

Be that as it may, there are quite a few posters these boards-- intelligent posters, whose opinions I respect-- who seem to believe that there is no question, but that Allen will start vs. the Jags, and any notion of McD rolling with Barkley is crazytalk. Other posters are making ridiculous statements like "the whole point of this seasons to develop Allen," or some such nonsense. 

I completely disagree. Yes, Allen's development is important. But, I have to believe that McD, Beane, and Pegula still want to win games. In my opinion, the decision on who to start will come down to who will give us the best chance to win. Barkley's performance vs. the Jets was the best QB play we have seen all year (and it's not close), and some may argue for the last couple years. 

And, will sitting Allen hurt his development? The WRs looked miles better with Barkley. Wouldn't it help Allen's development if when he did take the field, the WR corp were also better developed? Could Barkley help develop our piss-poor WR group?

If McD decides to start Barkley vs. the Jags, it will be an easy decision to make.

That is a ridiculous statement. Were that the case, there never would have been a QB competition in TC. Peterman would not have started week one, and McD would have said, right after the Jets game, that Allen would be the starter as soon as he was healthy.

I think the opportunity for Allen to sit and learn went out the window the moment Peterman crapped the bed against Baltimore week 1. McDermott/Bean brought that on themselves by not getting another veteran after trading away McCarron.

Now this is a tricky situation regarding the starting QB this week against the Jags. If the Bills are truly committed to Allen they need to let him play regardless of the results. I am sure after a bad game against a talented by inconsistent Jags defense people will be up in arms about Barkley being given another shot. However, that would be the worst situation for your prized rookie to be put in.

I think for the long term success of the franchise the time is now to give Allen as many reps possible heading into next year. We are out of playoff race despite not officially being eliminated. Not only for the QB position but other spots as well. We should be incorporating younger guys like Teller and Foster more to see what we have going into next year and what positions need to be addressed.

I am curious to see if they milk Allen's injury another week. If Barkley comes back down to earth next week against the Jags it makes it easier to put Allen back into that starter role.

Edited by billieve420

Okay, here's a list of things that posters on this board believe McDermott should have been fired for so far this season:

(possibly) not starting Barkley against Jax

Not starting Teller in game 1 (because he definitely would have been great without having 9 weeks to learn and develop)

Cutting O' Leary

Not having Peterman murdered by a professional hitman

Clapping too much

Ah, a full list would take too long, but that's a start

It’s a good thing the Redskins just wouldnt play Cousins because they invested so much into RG3....Rather then play the actual guy that gives you the most on offense you should just force in the guy that was drafted higher. Even though ironically the guy taken in the 4th round was a much better college player and actually played at a big time school, in important games against good teams. I’m sure it’s more likely that the guy that was barely recruited and struggled at Wyoming will probably turn out better then the guy who started 4 years at USC and was the player of the year in high school.

23 hours ago, matter2003 said:

The easiest game for a QB to look good  in with any team is his first.

After about 3 or 4 games when DCs get tape on him and can gameplan against him then you can see what you really have.

I mean the tape is out - he will sail throws in the intermediate distance.  Turn those into turnovers and you probably win the game.  We had him upright all game and barely pressured.  If that were to continue (it won't) i think he'd continue to have some success.

1 hour ago, billieve420 said:

I think the opportunity for Allen to sit and learn went out the window the moment Peterman crapped the bed against Baltimore week 1. McDermott/Bean brought that on themselves by not getting another veteran after trading away McCarron.

Now this is a tricky situation regarding the starting QB this week against the Jags. If the Bills are truly committed to Allen they need to let him play regardless of the results. I am sure after a bad game against a talented by inconsistent Jags defense people will be up in arms about Barkley being given another shot. However, that would be the worst situation for your prized rookie to be put in.

I think for the long term success of the franchise the time is now to give Allen as many reps possible heading into next year. We are out of playoff race despite not officially being eliminated. Not only for the QB position but other spots as well. We should be incorporating younger guys like Teller and Foster more to see what we have going into next year and what positions need to be addressed.

I am curious to see if they milk Allen's injury another week. If Barkley comes back down to earth next week against the Jags it makes it easier to put Allen back into that starter role.

Why?

Is Barkley not a MUCH better vet to learn from than Peterman? Of course he is.

Was Allen benched in lieu of Barkly? No.

Does sitting behind a vet hurt Allen's development? No.

Does it help Allen's development? Many would argue yes.

There also seems to be this idea that this season is about one player, and one player only. It's not. To say it is is ludicrous. In fact, it sure wouldn't hurt this team to develop some of our WRs with some actual competent QB play-- Zay, Foster, Ray Ray, et al. Would they develop better behind Barkley, or Allen? The answer seems obvious.

I've made this argument many times on this site: You don't build a winning culture by losing. And, this team is capable of winning. Barkley proved that Sunday. Personally, I would much rather watch the Bills beat the Jags, than watch them lose to get Allen an opportunity to "develop." I think it's better for the team as a whole.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, tcampbell104 said:

none of those sites said he was going to sit the whole year

With a better qb situation, he would have sat most, if not all year. From what I have read, that's the feeling I get. They definitely drafted him with thoughts of sitting him and bringing him along slowly.

Done.

Edited by Dopey