If McDermott doesn't start Barkley against Jacksonville he should be Fired

Kevin1778

9 minutes ago, Dopey said:

In case you missed it, he explained the purpose he sees in starting Barkley over Allen. Just read and you might understand where he's coming from. I am pasting what he explained below. Again, just read a little.

Barkley is better than Allen at this point.Let allen watch a QB who knows at least the basics of the game----How to throw a short pass with proper timing...how to throw without getting your receivers killed...how to move his feet and not look like a wooden indian...and doesnt lock in forever on the primary.Allen will have his time. Up til today all Allen got to see was crap. Let him watch a real QB for a while.

It wasn’t a direct question to the OP. It was more of a rhetorical question.

21 hours ago, Kevin1778 said:

We have a quarterback folks. Sure the Jets are the worst team in the NFL right now but Barkley throws the ball down the field and is light years ahead of Allen. 

Barkley

Allen

Thomas (Emergency)

No need for Anderson or Peterman.

Is this not really the same post from last week, which I believe was: "If McDermott starts Allen he should be fired" ?  Way to mix it up.  I think we get your opinion by now.  Perhaps you should be fired - from this forum.  

Where is DC Tom when you need him?

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, MarkAF43 said:

Wrong. The whole point of those year is seeing what Allen can do. If he’s healthy he plays

theres a reason no one had signed Barkley before us. I’m not redoing our QB depth chart for a game against the Jets. 

I redo the depth chart but no change at the top.

Allen

Barkley

Anderson

Peterman P.S. ( Im fine with it being someone elses)

21 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Barkley has looked like a back up qb today

Hey a very good backup QB.  Give him some credit.

21 hours ago, matter2003 said:

The easiest game for a QB to look good  in with any team is his first.

After about 3 or 4 games when DCs get tape on him and can gameplan against him then you can see what you really have.

They already have tape on him.  He didnt play spectaculare but he played competent and was accurate with the football which allowed for a balanced offense that require the D to account for everything.  He also benefited from better oline play.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

The occasional refrain of "so-and-so should be fired if they don't do something-or-other" is ridiculous, and tiring.

Be that as it may, there are quite a few posters these boards-- intelligent posters, whose opinions I respect-- who seem to believe that there is no question, but that Allen will start vs. the Jags, and any notion of McD rolling with Barkley is crazytalk. Other posters are making ridiculous statements like "the whole point of this seasons to develop Allen," or some such nonsense. 

I completely disagree. Yes, Allen's development is important. But, I have to believe that McD, Beane, and Pegula still want to win games. In my opinion, the decision on who to start will come down to who will give us the best chance to win. Barkley's performance vs. the Jets was the best QB play we have seen all year (and it's not close), and some may argue for the last couple years. 

And, will sitting Allen hurt his development? The WRs looked miles better with Barkley. Wouldn't it help Allen's development if when he did take the field, the WR corp were also better developed? Could Barkley help develop our piss-poor WR group?

If McD decides to start Barkley vs. the Jags, it will be an easy decision to make.

4 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Ridiculous. This season on O is 100% about Allen getting as many reps as possible. Starting Barkley in lieu of Allen gives us yet another losing season with no upside. 

That is a ridiculous statement. Were that the case, there never would have been a QB competition in TC. Peterman would not have started week one, and McD would have said, right after the Jets game, that Allen would be the starter as soon as he was healthy.

Edited by Rocky Landing

Just now, Rocky Landing said:

That is a ridiculous statement.

Nope. The one saving grace of this season will be getting our future franchise QB some experience. We aren't winning out the rest of the season, we are 100% missing the playoffs. The only positive we can get from this season is developing young talent. Handing the offense off to a backup QB with no chance of being a long-term starter is ridiculous.

Here's the thing -- and hopefully McD understands this. If he rolls Barkley out there and he struggles, making the move to Josh Allen (whether in-game or down the line) is an obvious and expected decision. However, if he starts Allen and then makes the move to Barkley for fear of losing the locker room or whatever -- that could very well have lasting, dire consequences. We have seen it all to many teams how benching a young QB can affect their mojo as well as the confidence that the rest of the team has in him.

I have always felt that the original plan was to have Allen sit behind a place-holder until he proved ready to take over as the permanent starter. The problem was that McCarron simply was not good enough to do that -- and Peterman actually out-played him in the preseason. The surprising effectiveness of Barkley against the Jets gives OBD a chance to reset that original plan. It is up to Barkley how long that timetable lasts. If the Jets game was an aberration, then we could very well see Allen by halftime against the Jags. If the Jets game was indicative of what Barkley could potentially bring to the table, then maybe Allen gets the chance to sit, watch and learn. In that event, I would expect both Peterman and Anderson (once he clears concussion protocol) to be sent packing.

At least that is how I would handle the situation...