If McDermott doesn't start Barkley against Jacksonville he should be Fired

Kevin1778

Yeah I'm about as pessimistic as it gets around here with Allen and even I think we need to give the kid another look. We're realistically out of the playoff race. The pressure to win is finally off. Now we can take the shackles off Josh and see what he can do. Barkley should stick around as the back up. Whatever wisdom Anderson was supposedly going to impart, he's done that. This is Allen's time to prove that he's got what it takes to eventually be the franchise guy, and we don't need to go get a real QB in the off season to compete in training camp (though I think we should do this regardless). We're not going to find out anything with Allen sitting on the bench.  

Edited by VW82

There is a good argument to start Barkley one more game to see if he's for real, or not.

But I think we need to plug Allen back in again when he's ready and let him get some experience.

It's very likely Allen ends up in concussion protocol before the end of the season and we can watch Barkley again.

13 minutes ago, B Fan in LA said:

There is a good argument to start Barkley one more game to see if he's for real, or not.

But I think we need to plug Allen back in again when he's ready and let him get some experience.

It's very likely Allen ends up in concussion protocol before the end of the season and we can watch Barkley again.

Even if Barkley plays well in a couple more games does that really tell us that he's a starting caliber QB?  He's had 6 years and a bunch of different opportunities to demonstrate that he's more then a back-up QB. 

Bottom line is we already know that he's not a starting QB in a way that we don't know about Allen.  The goal with Allen going forward is twofold:  1) Develop him as a starting QB that can be the guy for us over the next 10 years AND 2) determine whether he is the guy ASAP so we can cut our ties and move forward if he's not.  We can't do either of these things if he's sitting on the bench. 

When the Bills named Allen the starter in week 2 and he kept that job until he went down with an injury, they lost any chance to sit him down and have him "learn" now.  It's like losing your virginity - there's no going back. 

Edited by CincyBillsFan

3 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

Half descent QB? He was on his couch just 2 weeks ago. He played a good game. But Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here lol. 

Whats the the purpose of winning a few games at this point? To try and get to 5-11? No purpose in that at all.

Its about 2019. Let Allen learn by playing him.

Barkley vs Allen shouldn’t even be an argument. 

Allen should start and he most likely will be after the bye 

the fact he was on his couch makes it even more impressive..

5 hours ago, Kevin1778 said:

We have a quarterback folks. Sure the Jets are the worst team in the NFL right now but Barkley throws the ball down the field and is light years ahead of Allen. 

Barkley

Allen

Thomas (Emergency)

No need for Anderson or Peterman.

Ugh, dont be that guy. 

Hopefully you are joking. 

If not, go be a Jets fan.

You'll fit right in

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Sure but he's only started a total of 6 games in his career, all in 2016. Since this year is meaningless what's the harm in giving him another game and seeing if he is for real? Worst case scenario he sucks and we start Allen the following week. I like Allen but no one is anointing him as the guy yet. We might as well see what we have in Barkley while we can IMO.

I'm honestly ok with whatever decision McD makes in a couple weeks. 

58 minutes ago, B Fan in LA said:

Agreed. At this point, I think it’s more important in seeing what Barkley has over what Allen has. No one doubts Allen is the QB of the future. What we don’t know if who the backup QB will be. We’ve all seen firsthand how important this position is this season. It’s been a complete ***** show and has basically ruined our season. We don’t need another repeat next season. 

4 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Put Anderson on IR and let him help with the QB room.  Cut Peterman 

Maybe Anderson just wants to go home to his family? He’s basically living at the Stadium and for what? I get thousands of dollars, but I’m sure he’s well taken care of at this point and want to walk away from this nightmare. 

I stick with the QB that had the offense in motion beyond a dead stop. I would want to keep any rythm going. Allen is one bad game away from people crying to put the other guy back in anyway. 

Just my opinion about it. I didn't think any QB could make the offense not suck and was kinda shocked it moved. I wouldn't get over excited about just one game but enough happened that I would not hastily change it back.

Edited by Lfod