The Quarterback Position Going Forward

TigerJ

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

3-7 record. They are done for the season with regard to 2018 playoff aspirations.  The players know Josh Allen is the future of the franchise and you will see more young guys getting chances as we did today. Playing Barkley makes no sense. 

This is a TEAM sport played by men. The other 51 guys in the locker room want the best player to play at EVERY position EVERY game! They are NOT putting their bodies on the line for the development of a future anything ...and Allen knows that. And, if you’re right, with six games still remaining there’s more than enough time for Barkley to stink and then Allen will get his chance to return.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

This is a TEAM sport played by men. The other 51 guys in the locker room want the best player to play at EVERY position EVERY game! They are NOT putting their bodies on the line for the development of a future anything ...and Allen knows that. And, if you’re right, with six games still remaining there’s more than enough time for Barkley to stink and then Allen will get his chance to return.

You must not pay attention to what NFL teams do once they realize they aren't making the playoffs.  Younger players get chances to get on the field and it's especially important for Allen yo acclerate his learning curve. You capitalizing words isn't making your point any stronger by the way. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You must not pay attention to what NFL teams do once they realize they aren't making the playoffs.  Younger players get chances to get on the field and it's especially important for Allen yo acclerate his learning curve. You capitalizing words isn't making your point any stronger by the way. 

As strange as it may seem, the Bills are not yet mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. The remaining schedule is easy and the team now seems to have some life.  Until they are mathematically eliminated, this season is about winning as many games as possible.

49 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Bills not certain of starting QB after Matt Barkley beats Jets

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25248815/buffalo-bills-not-certain-starting-qb-matt-barkley-beats-jets

The Bills' 313 yards and four offensive touchdowns in the first half against the Jets were their most since Doug Flutie led Buffalo to 332 first-half yards in a season-ending win in 2000.

Look I've made my opinion  known on a number of threads but this quote from your article says it all to me:

A source told ESPN's Adam Schefter before Sunday's win that Allen is expected to be ready to return after the Bills' bye week from a sprained elbow he suffered Oct. 14. Allen had been pushing to play and felt ready to go against the Jets before the team opted to hold him out, according to the source.

If McDermott wants to risk Allen's development then go with the hot hand in a quest to go 6 - 10 this season.  The mental game for a QB is just as important as the physical game.  The Bills did the right thing in not starting Allen to allow him to fully recover.  But if they start playing games like they did this summer, then they risk screwing Allen up mentally.  Keep in mind that when Tampa's young QB got healthy Fitz, who was the hottest hand in the NFL, was benched and didn't get back in until Winston looked Petermen like. 

You do the same thing here and unless Allen looks like Peterman, you go with him even if he's initially less effective then Barkley was today. 

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

As strange as it may seem, the Bills are not yet mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. The remaining schedule is easy and the team now seems to have some life.  Until they are mathematically eliminated, this season is about winning as many games as possible.

Really? You gonna go with this mathematically eliminated thing?  :lol:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Really? You gonna go with this mathematically eliminated thing?  :lol:

Yes.  If Barkley continues to play well, the Bills might very well be favored in 5 of their remaining 6 games, and by the time they play NE, the Pats will probably have things pretty well sewn up.

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Keep your shirt on. Caps are simply easier than underlining text. And, I’d still start Barkley. The team looked like they were having fun with him, and he looked like he was having fun too. It makes a difference.

Just now, mannc said:

Yes.  If Barkley continues to play well, the Bills might very well be favored in 5 of their remaining 6 games, and by the time they play NE, the Pats will probably have things pretty well sewn up.

Oh the highs and lows of being a Bills' fan. :) 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Oh the highs and lows of being a Bills' fan. :) 

Yep.  Wouldn’t have it any other way!

Bills fans are starved for competent quarterbacking, and when they actually see it, they don’t want to go back to passing for 90 yards per game.

Edited by mannc

We need to develop the offense as much as we need to develop Allen.  If Daboll is going to be the OC then the whole team needs to see what his offense is supposed to look like with a competent QB.  If Barkley can run the offense the way it's supposed to be run and hit a deep ball here and there, not throw picks, and get them in the right plays for the running game then I'm all for Allen sitting behind him.   Maybe give Allen a few more starts at the end of the season.  It worked fine for Mahommes.  If Barkely just had one good game and can't replicate any of what he did today then Allen gets back in there.  Peterman needs to go.  Anderson might not be bad to keep around for insurance and given the way the QB situation has gone insurance might not be a bad thing.

I will say this for the pro Barkley crowd, we do have an absolute cakewalk of a schedule the rest of the way outside of the Pats game. Except, we already have seven losses. Just because that was good enough to fluke into the playoffs last year, it doesn't mean we have a realistic shot at it again. Nine wins won't be enough. Quote me on that. 

If I'm McDermott I have an honest conversation with the team. It's about development the rest of the way. It's about getting better for next year. We're still going to try to win, but we're going to get a look at the young guys too. Allen is going to be the QB. End of discussion. The buy week is the perfect time to have that talk.

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

well, not exactly.  NFL players put their body on the line largely to get performance video tape out there to support their next contract, wherever that may be.  Winning is great, but the next contract is all important.   This isn't high school or the majority of college football.  It's all business.   Once you are past the survival stage, have made your salary guarantee nut and the bank account is full, then winning is paramount.  Most of these guys from the football factory schools don't have college degrees worth a sh-t.  All they have is a 3-7 year window to make it in the NFL.  Sorry, but in most cases for most players these are today's facts, IMO.   Coaches coach for wins (which determine their contracts), players put on individual performances for contracts.   Winning is great, but if your out of the league , kinda doesn't matter.

Having said all that, put Allen back in, because the guys not in the QB room are just trying to do their jobs the best they can, regardless of who the QB is, for the above reasons.  

Edited by ProcessTruster

10 hours ago, VW82 said:

I will say this for the pro Barkley crowd, we do have an absolute cakewalk of a schedule the rest of the way outside of the Pats game. Except, we already have seven losses. Just because that was good enough to fluke into the playoffs last year, it doesn't mean we have a realistic shot at it again. Nine wins won't be enough. Quote me on that. 

If I'm McDermott I have an honest conversation with the team. It's about development the rest of the way. It's about getting better for next year. We're still going to try to win, but we're going to get a look at the young guys too. Allen is going to be the QB. End of discussion. The buy week is the perfect time to have that talk.

I agree.   The players are playing for contracts anyway, so the whole "lets win a bunch of games to show that we can" is sort of a yawner for the players as well. 

12 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Allen's development with actual game experience is far more important than playing a potential long term backup QB.

There is no doubt that Josh Allen is THE GUY!  But one guy does not make a team.

McDermott is the HC of the whole team. Until yesterday, he virtually had lost THE WHOLE TEAM. Yesterday was a mix that seemed to fire (correctly) on all cylinders! 

The TEAM, as a whole,  was ENERGIZED! As a struggling head coach, do you really want to be the guy to yank that ENERGY away from the team?

I would say that it is best for the whole team to STAY with what worked yesterday. Don't change a thing UNTIL a change is warranted.

It would be a virtual career suicide to mindlessly change back to a losing formula just to accommodate one player on the team.

But, then again, your mileage may vary... 

Just now, cd1 said:

There is no doubt that Josh Allen is THE GUY!  But one guy does not make a team.

McDermott is the HC of the whole team. Until yesterday, he virtually had lost THE WHOLE TEAM. Yesterday was a mix that seemed to fire (correctly) on all cylinders! 

The TEAM, as a whole,  was ENERGIZED! As a struggling head coach, do you really want to be the guy to yank that ENERGY away from the team?

I would say that it is best for the whole team to STAY with what worked yesterday. Don't change a thing UNTIL a change is warranted.

It would be a virtual career suicide to mindlessly change back to a losing formula just to accommodate one player on the team.

But, then again, your mileage may vary... 

3-7 in 14th place in the AFC. Play Allen. 

The correct answer is:

1. Barkley

2. Allen

3. Anderson - IR

4. Peterman - cut

Play the hot hand and stick with Barkley and see if there's anything there. Give Allen some more time to work on his fundamentals. Now that he can throw, he should be working on that stuff. Not trying to rush back from an injury so he can play the same crappy brand of football. You IR Anderson now that you have Allen back. Peterman probably couldn't even start in the SEC this season let alone the NFL. Cut him immediately. McBeane might then put him on the practice squad which I think is dumb but whatever. But we have 2 QB's worth keeping on the active roster. No need to carry any more than that now.

18 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

My wife and I were discussing this earlier also.

I wondered if you cut Peterman and place Anderson on IR - so he can still help, but no chance he gets on the field.

That would be ideal for me - 

Allen

Barkley

Anderson - IR

Peterman - cut (maybe PS or find a PS candidate just in case)

I dont know how they would get Anderson to the IR if he wasnt actually injured. Rules against stashing players. i do like th idea of him sticking around ,they do have time invested in him. I am okay with Peterman to the PS as a compromise so McDermott wont feel bad

9 hours ago, Pablocruise said:

I dont know how they would get Anderson to the IR if he wasnt actually injured. Rules against stashing players. i do like th idea of him sticking around ,they do have time invested in him. I am okay with Peterman to the PS as a compromise so McDermott wont feel bad

I'd probably release Nate.   Wrong place, wrong time for him.