Browns' coach search brings trepidation after Haslams ignored pleas to hire Sean McDermott last time

mjd1001

28 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Sortve like the change the Rams went through when they dumped Fisher for Mcvay? 

I think McVay should probably be fired.

This board has taught me that losing is a GOOD thing and portends future success.

With the way McVay is succeeding, dismal failure is right around the corner.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Honestly, I was going to start a thread last week exploring the idea of trading McDermott - weirder things have happened.  If the Browns were dumb enough to give us a 2nd round pick for the rights to McCoach, would you do it?  I would.

Would you have done it after last year?

2 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Would you have done it after last year?

No. He bought himself at least another year by squeaking into the playoffs with an awful point differential.

Now he's brought in yet another offensive coordinator who doesn't know what he's doing and the wheels are falling off.

It's THIS year. We're not going back to 82 to take State.

Wow no one complained about making the playoffs last year while we were supposedly tanking. 

Smh all the celebrations for finally making the playoffs. The drought was almost 20 years old and the best coach we have had in decades is completely trash LMAO....

Fans like that deserve the back breaking Fitzpatrick interception type losses and the jets loss when losman's sack fumble won it for the jets and when stevie j dropped the ball against pitts. Oh and the mclovin kick return fumble against NE on monday night.

I mean those were way more exciting seasons seeing how we weren't mathematically eliminated until about week 15. 

One bad year and calling for the coach that took us to the playoffs job less than 10 months after going wild with joy over the same coach doing the unthinkable.

I swear those type of fans deserve the bad luck bills that we had during the drought. But hey atleast the drought bills were scoring garbage tds and putting up points before the opposing team ran the clock out with game ending 3rd down conversions.

I was complaining plenty last year and the decisions McD made on the O were almost all failures.....  Even wins were not satisfying for the most part.

Again great & above average players get paid and shock of shocks the best stay with their teams and are resigned.

The Only competent receiver that jumps off the team that has been traded or moved on is Golden Tate.

Let me guess as a FA he'll be too rich for Buffalo's liking and doesn't fit the "culture".

They did not have to tear down a 7-9 team (from 2016).....  

11 minutes ago, ChattanoogaBills said:

Wow no one complained about making the playoffs last year while we were supposedly tanking. 

Smh all the celebrations for finally making the playoffs. The drought was almost 20 years old and the best coach we have had in decades is completely trash LMAO....

Fans like that deserve the back breaking Fitzpatrick interception type losses and the jets loss when losman's sack fumble won it for the jets and when stevie j dropped the ball against pitts. Oh and the mclovin kick return fumble against NE on monday night.

I mean those were way more exciting seasons seeing how we weren't mathematically eliminated until about week 15. 

One bad year and calling for the coach that took us to the playoffs job less than 10 months after going wild with joy over the same coach doing the unthinkable.

I swear those type of fans deserve the bad luck bills that we had during the drought. But hey atleast the drought bills were scoring garbage tds and putting up points before the opposing team ran the clock out with game ending 3rd down conversions.

Can’t control other fans opinions Chatt. I suggest finding a different hobby if it bothers you so much, which it obviously does. 

McD and Beane deserve a major part of the blame for this years implosion. 

Edited by PittsforDave

2017 I just reviewed the schedule and the Bills won 3 games by more then one score.....  NYJ, Den & Oak (all at home and against terrible teams).  Only 2 losses were one score losses (vs. Cin & Carolina) where the Offense failed misably, and again highlighted just how bad the Offense and the game planning was.....  Sorry will say both should/could have been won with any semblance of one and yes Watkins......

So 5 losses blow-outs and 6 wins nailbiters and usually meant hanging on. 

Sorry was not a fun year looking at it this way.  

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Sortve like the change the Rams went through when they dumped Fisher for Mcvay? 

The Rams changed over 50% of their team with the switch from Fisher to McVay - just as the Bills have.  The difference was the Rams had low cost high draft picks and no cap issues looming - while Whaley and the Bills had a lot of guys looking for or on their 2nd contract and therefore overpaid.

When McVay took over the Rams where at the point the Bills will be at next season. 

People think McVay did not change that personnel, but he has made as much change as Buffalo.  All of the WRs, parts of the o-line, D-line, and the entire secondary are new in LA and many of them are on 1 year contracts meaning the team will lose a ton of talent after this season with no cap room or draft picks to make replacements. 

• Like (+1) 1

It’s not that I think McD is a bad coach - he’s a good coach.  But his skill set - being able to coach up a rather vanilla defense - is simply not as valuable as a coach who understands the modern game, preferably with a focus on offense.

If they could get a high pick for McD they should do it - but they won’t, because the Pegulas strike me as the insecure type who would feel vindicated by getting such an offer - and would turn it down.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Honestly, I was going to start a thread last week exploring the idea of trading McDermott - weirder things have happened.  If the Browns were dumb enough to give us a 2nd round pick for the rights to McCoach, would you do it?  I would.

No.

18 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It’s not that I think McD is a bad coach - he’s a good coach.  But his skill set - being able to coach up a rather vanilla defense - is simply not as valuable as a coach who understands the modern game, preferably with a focus on offense.

If they could get a high pick for McD they should do it - but they won’t, because the Pegulas strike me as the insecure type who would feel vindicated by getting such an offer - and would turn it down.

Great point.  I'll take it a step further and look at his philosophy and how it impacts personnel acquisition and strategy.  They've used a bunch of resources on the defensive side of the ball these first 2 seasons to switch to his scheme and yes, improve the talent there.  My issue is how much power does Beane have to look at McD and tell him we've got to go offense and he needs to make due on defense?  Does Beane have that authority and if not, then we're trusting that the HC acquiesces to the demands a modern game feature more offensive talent than he believes is necessary.

That's my question: Does the HC appreciate offense as much as the new NFL demands it? Or, will he revert to what he knows best and keep trying to win games the 1985 method of better defense, running the ball, and throwing less? We don't know after 2 off-seasons.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I like McDermott as coach despite the offensive problems this season. 

I think if given time to work thru his numerous dumb, ego-driven offensive personnel decisions.........he has the potential to be a competent NFL HC..........but Marvin Lewis and Jeff Fisher are competent NFL HC's.

Obviously the Bills have never won a SB but they've never had a HC who has won a SB elsewhere in that capacity before or after either.

Bills are good at hiring good DC's to be their HC.........but I think they need a smarter and more creative thinker to take this team to a SB victory.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PittsforDave said:

Can’t control other fans opinions Chatt. I suggest finding a different hobby if it bothers you so much, which it obviously does. 

McD and Beane deserve a major part of the blame for this years implosion. 

Sorry im die hard buffalo... I guess im just so glad that we got the playoff monkey off our back that he gets atleast a year pass in my book. 

When Josh Allen started we looked decent as a team so mc clappy gets a mulligan this year and we can load up on offense this draftvwith the high picks after we trade down and ve set for the next 10 years.

4 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Sorry if this was posted already, I didn't see it here yet:

When the Haslams hired Jackson, for instance, in 2016, they did so against the wishes and counsel of virtually their entire football operations staff, sources said. They had added analytics expert Paul DePodesta to the fold and, along with then-GM Sashi Brown and some other analytics experts, the Haslams put together a criteria and process to identify their next head coach.

Sean McDermott, current Bills coach, was the overwhelmingly popular choice by everyone involved in the process. The data they used, as well the other elements of the criteria set up at the start of the process, all pointed to McDermott, a highly-regarded defensive coordinator with Carolina at the time.

their loss, championships are coming .