Browns' coach search brings trepidation after Haslams ignored pleas to hire Sean McDermott last time

mjd1001

Sorry if this was posted already, I didn't see it here yet:

When the Haslams hired Jackson, for instance, in 2016, they did so against the wishes and counsel of virtually their entire football operations staff, sources said. They had added analytics expert Paul DePodesta to the fold and, along with then-GM Sashi Brown and some other analytics experts, the Haslams put together a criteria and process to identify their next head coach.

Sean McDermott, current Bills coach, was the overwhelmingly popular choice by everyone involved in the process. The data they used, as well the other elements of the criteria set up at the start of the process, all pointed to McDermott, a highly-regarded defensive coordinator with Carolina at the time.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Honestly, I was going to start a thread last week exploring the idea of trading McDermott - weirder things have happened.  If the Browns were dumb enough to give us a 2nd round pick for the rights to McCoach, would you do it?  I would.

Unless I really REALLY knew I was going to fire the coach, I wouldn't.  When you change a coach, usually there is a LOT of other change that comes up with it...to much to justify just a 2nd round pick for.  Once again, unless you were going to fire him right away anyway.

12 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

When the Haslams hired Jackson, for instance, in 2016, they did so against the wishes and counsel of virtually their entire football operations staff, sources said. They had added analytics expert Paul DePodesta to the fold and, along with then-GM Sashi Brown and some other analytics experts, the Haslams put together a criteria and process to identify their next head coach.

Sean McDermott, current Bills coach, was the overwhelmingly popular choice by everyone involved in the process. The data they used, as well the other elements of the criteria set up at the start of the process, all pointed to McDermott, a highly-regarded defensive coordinator with Carolina at the time.

well...…..we finally found the genesis and origin of "the process"...…...interesting it started as "criteria and process" and nicely evolved into just "the process".

this is like when early man found the monolith.

nice find.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Wait.  So Cleveland desperately wanted McDimwit?

That's all we need to know.

He'll be gone during or after the 2019 season, for sure now.

16 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Honestly, I was going to start a thread last week exploring the idea of trading McDermott - weirder things have happened.  If the Browns were dumb enough to give us a 2nd round pick for the rights to McCoach, would you do it?  I would.

I'd do it for a 3rd.

He's going to just get fired with no compensation in return, so getting anything would be a plus.

My stance on Shady being traded was the same for the same reasons.

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I like McDermott as coach despite the offensive problems this season. 

Same. Can't really judge him until next year. While he is a master of saying nothing at a press conference, the fact players say he is very different behind closed doors is 100% OK with me. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, HansLanda said:

Same. Can't really judge him until next year. While he is a master of saying nothing at a press conference, the fact players say he is very different behind closed doors is 100% OK with me. 

He tore the Offense down in the pre-season in 2017 and people are still defending his Process, Culture, Play between the 20's & Buffalo Bills Football......

The Browns defense is fine......  I can only imagine what he would have done to their Offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Send us a Pick Browns. You can have him. 

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

He tore the Offense down in the pre-season in 2017 and people are still defending his Process, Culture, Play between the 20's & Buffalo Bills Football......

The Browns defense is fine......  I can only imagine what he would have done to their Offense. 

I did mention we can judge him next year when the offense will probably have six different starters. 

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Wait.  So Cleveland desperately wanted McDimwit?

That's all we need to know.

He'll be gone during or after the 2019 season, for sure now.

I'd do it for a 3rd.

He's going to just get fired with no compensation in return, so getting anything would be a plus.

My stance on Shady being traded was the same for the same reasons.

Baring another say 2-14 season,  I'll be very surprised if he's not given at least 4 years as really don't think TP wants to keep making changes if he feels the person is doingthings correctly and just needs more time.

He's not getting fired for at least one more season, IMO 2 years Cleveland needs a coach now so no.  Unless you prefer starting all over again with new players to fit a different scheme.

Just curious, were you calling for him to be fired the end of last season when they went 9-7 and made the playoffs?

11 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

He "tore it down" because the only players the team had with any trade value were on the offensive side.  The team wanted draft picks to move up so the only way to do that was to make trades.   Unless they way over paid, Sammy wasn't re-signing here so stop any delusions of thinking how much better the team would be with him here.

And to say he "tore it down"  is maybe the equivalent of saying he tore down an outhouse!  They looked good on paper and were a very good running team, but never felt that was a strength.  For the past 3 to 4 seasons everyone was complaining about how weak the O-line was so there wasn't much torn down there, are they better now, no, but nothing was torn down either.  QB,  they weren't going anywhere with TT  WR was the one position they were better at then than now, but highly doubt they'd have re-signed Watkins and if they had, every one here would have gone nuts regarding how much they over paid.  From what I read, Woods wanted to go to a west coast team, and with the QB play here the past 2 plus seasons, he'd likely look the same as he did when he was here which was nothing special.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

Well what TP should do, is come out and properly support his GM and assert he is in charge of the team.  Make sure he hires the best OC and diminsh McD's influence on the desisions and hires on that side of the ball.  A Sean McVay type acknowledged as the rising star and pay him above the going rate (only coaching).  

All the picks (except maybe first round) address the offense.  

McD's influence needs to be tempered as by all accounts it is just too much currently.

12 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Well what TP should do, is come out and properly support his GM and assert he is in charge of the team.  Make sure he hires the best OC and diminsh McD's influence on the desisions and hires on that side of the ball.  A Sean McVay type acknowledged as the rising star and pay him above the going rate (only coaching).  

All the picks (except maybe first round) address the offense.  

McD's influence needs to be tempered as by all accounts it is just too much currently.

You know things aren't going well when you ask the organizational leader to step back and do a little less leading.

LOL.

Can you imagine telling Belichick: "We would like to see your role within the organization diminished a bit" if you owned the Patriots?

McDermott is a very good coach and has the mental capabilities to become a very good Head Coach. Like all very good Head Coaches, he needs someone to come in and be a Franchise QB. Hopefully, Allen is that someone.