Le'Veon Bell Will Sit Out for the Entire 2018 Season

26CornerBlitz

20 minutes ago, nucci said:

but if he signed for $14M and got hurt.....he wouldn't get the big contract for next season.....works both ways

He'd have $14 million. It's just money he'll never get back. He'll have to play for many more years at a high salary in order to make it worth it (especially considering the time value of money).

He'll be 27. I do not believe that a team will pay him $14 million per year or more, but we'll see.

No matter how you slice it, Bell is sacrificing that money. This is a decision he made based on principles, hopefully understanding that he is making a trade-off. If he understands that, good for him. He made the right decision. If he believes that he made this decision purely for monetary reasons, I think he is a fool.

3 hours ago, Behindenemylines said:

I'd love to see the actuarial tables and risk tables on this decision.   Doesnt seem like he could possibly over earn the 14.5 mil he gave up. 

The chances of getting hurt on the field to chances of getting hurt/losing a step by missing a year would be an interesting comparison.  

Also teams will take his behaviour into account when looking at him. 

My gut bad decision but I actually dont really care-not my cash!

I think he'll easily earn it back. He'll be paid like a good WR.

If Sammy Watkins can earn $16m a year. I'm certain Bell can.

Edited by Mountain Man

16 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Good move. My guess is it will pay off...obviously nobody really knows the future but he definitely avoided injury and the 300+ touches he was in for this season. I mean look at Connor, not saying it's 100% due to usage but the guy is already concussed by week 11. The Steelers use up their backs, especially in the AFCN, and Bell is trying for one last big deal. I think he played his hand right.

Show me how the math works.  He needs to make 14 million more than he would have if he played.

The downside is injury - solved with insurance.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

He'd have $14 million. It's just money he'll never get back. He'll have to play for many more years at a high salary in order to make it worth it (especially considering the time value of money).

He'll be 27. I do not believe that a team will pay him $14 million per year or more, but we'll see.

No matter how you slice it, Bell is sacrificing that money. This is a decision he made based on principles, hopefully understanding that he is making a trade-off. If he understands that, good for him. He made the right decision. If he believes that he made this decision purely for monetary reasons, I think he is a fool.

In the short term obviously the better decision would be to sign the tag and play for the 14 mil.

But in the long term we just don't know yet.

It Is impossible to say right now whether it was the right decision or not.

All Bell knows is he is going into free agency healthy with a year less of wear and tear, and he knows he's going to break the bank.

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I think he knows this.  It's personal with the Steelers.  What if he signed his tender at the beginning of the season, only to tear his achilles like Dez just did?  LeVeon has to do what's best for him long term.

He'll sign a 3 or 4 year deal for around $12-$15 million per elsewhere.

one could argue staying put behind a top 3 line with elite wr options outside and a HOF qb while STILL getting a payday and having the potential to go down as a legend in a city of legends might have been best long term.

instead he turned down a huge deal. left his teammates out to dry and a 3rd rounder came in to outproduce him behind said line..... solid move, bell. 

3 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

In the short term obviously the better decision would be to sign the tag and play for the 14 mil.

But in the long term we just don't know yet.

It Is impossible to say right now whether it was the right decision or not.

All Bell knows is he is going into free agency healthy with a year less of wear and tear, and he knows he's going to break the bank.

see above for a good response to that 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

one could argue staying put behind a top 3 line with elite wr options outside and a HOF qb while STILL getting a payday and having the potential to go down as a legend in a city of legends might have been best long term.

instead he turned down a huge deal. left his teammates out to dry and a 3rd rounder came in to outproduce him behind said line..... solid move, bell. 

I understand that. But that still doesn’t factor in all the touches he would have had and a risk of injury.

His value would greatly diminish if he was going into free agency with another 200/300 plus touches and ending off with an injury. Especially as a RB

12 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I can't speak to the offer that was made by the Steelers because we don't know the particulars of what they offered as far as length of the contract and the amount of guaranteed money.

As far as the tag goes, *he'd be an idiot to sign for $14 mill, risking a career ending injury when he's going to get between $30-$40 million guaranteed next season.

Edited by Chicken Boo

Just now, billsfan11 said:

I understand that. But that still doesn’t factor in all the touches he would have had and a risk of injury.

His value would greatly diminish if he was going into free agency with another 200/300 plus touches and ending off with an injury. Especially as a RB

right. I guess i'm basically saying the decision to not take the initial deal was the foolish part..... have fun trying that "patient" stutter step stuff behind a colts/Texans/fins/lions line. let me know how that works for you bell.

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

right. I guess i'm basically saying the decision to not take the initial deal was the foolish part..... have fun trying that "patient" stutter step stuff behind a colts/Texans/fins/lions line. let me know how that works for you bell.

What was the initial offer? I don’t remember it

5 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I can't speak to the offer that was made by the Steelers because we don't know the particulars of what they offered as far as length of the contract and the amount of guaranteed money.

As far as the tag goes, *he'd be an idiot to sign for $14 mill, risking a career ending injury when he's going to get between $30-$40 million guaranteed next season.

ya. after you decide you aren't taking the contract, it could be argued he made the right move to sit..... I guess my issue is not taking the contract to begin with.

have fun with your couple extra million on a team that can afford you that doesn't even have half the talent the steelers do..... I think it was a really foolish move. if you are a team looking at him you have to look at what conner has done and wonder 

3 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

What was the initial offer? I don’t remember it

I live here in erie,pa on the outskirts "stiller" country and I cant remember the details but I think I remember hearing it was around 13 or 14 maybe?

that's almost double what the next highest runner was making at the time. and don't give me the wr/rb stuff.... bell acts like he's the first dual threat the league has ever seen. they've been around for years.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

ya. after you decide you aren't taking the contract, it could be argued he made the right move to sit..... I guess my issue is not taking the contract to begin with.

have fun with your couple extra million on a team that can afford you that doesn't even have half the talent the steelers do..... I think it was a really foolish move. if you are a team looking at him you have to look at what conner has done and wonder 

I live here in erie,pa on the outskirts "stiller" country and I cant remember the details but I think I remember hearing it was around 13 or 14 maybe?

that's almost double what the next highest runner was making at the time. and don't give me the wr/rb stuff.... bell acts like he's the first dual threat the league has ever seen. they've been around for years.

Oh ya that’s right. If I recall though, wasn’t it basically like a 2 year deal cause the guaranteed money was pretty low?

7 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Oh ya that’s right. If I recall though, wasn’t it basically like a 2 year deal cause the guaranteed money was pretty low?

maybe. I cant remember that much detail. I just think it says quite a bit about what he values in his career. you're set up in a legendary franchise that's WINNING with a loaded offense and an offer almost double what any other runner is making..... but you just want more money.

like I said. have fun taking that running style behind an offensive line of a team that could afford you. and again.... if you are a team that was interested in him how aren't you factoring in what conner is doing now  at a fraction of the cost

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Football is a business first.  You have to treat it as such. 

We know what Bell brings to the table.  His talent isn't in question.  It's on the team that signs him to make sure the roster has enough talent to be contenders.

We know what Bell brings to the table.  His talent isn't in question.  It's on the team that signs him to make sure the roster has enough talent to be contenders.

6 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

a part of good business is placing yourself in an atmosphere where you can flourish. I know plenty of people that have taken pay cuts due to better situations elsewhere.

good luck finding a better one than the one he was in already.

also good business by any team would be to look at the fact that a 3rd rounder is putting up better production than bell was at a fraction of the cost. how could other teams see that and not take it into account?

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I understand what you're saying.  But you are also assuming he isn't spending it like a total buffoon.   Just my best guess, but I assume he isnt spending money like an average 9-5 guy either.    It may seem crazy to us, but how many times have you heard of these guys pissing away millions of dollars and ending up bankrupt?

True.  But hopefully he isn't.  I don't assume he is.  Will be interesting to see how things play out.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

He might get paid a ton by a future team, but he'll never get that 14 million back.

He wouldn't get the career years back the 400 touches the Steelers would put on him back either.