Le'Veon Bell Will Sit Out for the Entire 2018 Season

26CornerBlitz

If he comes back, the debate I heard on NFLR was about a transition tag on full year salary, or what he makes for the remainder of the year which is only about $8,000,000.  That would still be around the top RB in the NFL.

I hope they do it and he ends up on a crappy team for 9 or 10 mil.

im so sick of this guy and the non-stop talking about the issue.  It will end up going away after Tuesday.

Bell and his agent spinning it like they are doing a service for other players is pretty funny. The only service they did was show how different a non committal, pot smoking RB gets treated vs. a guy like Gurley when it’s contract time. 

Players do get screwed in the NFL in comparison to other sports but I will save my sympathy for guys that never hurt their own team. 

9 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He would just sit out again. They are better off just letting him walk rather than dealing with the headache.

885k a game he has given up so far- from a financial standpoint Bell is looking more and more ridiculous. I get the long term, guaranteed deal he is most likely looking for but damn, take the dough, play ball, and continue negotiating. If negotiations fall thru you are in the drivers seat next year- the Steelers would have to pay huge to keep Bell and really, at his age, a healthy tag followed my a monster tag is probably what he would of received over 4-5 years. RB’s in todays NFL just dont command the cash anymore.

2 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

885k a game he has given up so far- from a financial standpoint Bell is looking more and more ridiculous. I get the long term, guaranteed deal he is most likely looking for but damn, take the dough, play ball, and continue negotiating. If negotiations fall thru you are in the drivers seat next year- the Steelers would have to pay huge to keep Bell and really, at his age, a healthy tag followed my a monster tag is probably what he would of received over 4-5 years. RB’s in todays NFL just dont command the cash anymore.

They don't?  Todd Gurley

4 minutes ago, The Process said:

I'm not going to work Monday. I don't care that I accepted my salary a year ago. I want more. If I stay out till Thursday with no doctor's note I'll be fired. These spoiled rotten brats piss me off! 

He doesn't care because it's his body and career that are on the line.  What he's doing is well within the parameters of the negotiated CBA.  This kind of fan outrage is rather puzzling. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He doesn't care because it's his body and career that are on the line.  What he's doing is well within the parameters of the negotiated CBA.  This kind of fan outrage is rather puzzling. 

I didn't say he was breaking any rules.....(CBA).  It's the big picture....perception.....it's BS.  Before the season started and the development of Connor, he knew his absence would affect HIS team. This tells me he doesn't care about the team. It's plain and simple.....selfish and spoiled. As a working stiff, even I will look at our departments coverage when considering a vacation that could leave them short handed. I say MAN UP  and play the game you were blessed with skills to play. 10 Million, 15 Million, 20 Million.....I mean.....REALLY?

10 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It was a gamble sitting out this season and passing on $14 million. But obviously Bell factored in the risk of serious injury (this happened to Matt Forte in a similar situation), which would destroy his future value. So I don't think it's an irrational decision at all. Whether he will ultimately come out ahead, well, who knows ...

Or he could have signed the best offer he is going tonreceivev from many team.

If he's that worried about getting injured given the milage on him or whatever, that's also what the next team that signs him will worry about as well....especially after doing nothing for a year.

If he was truly "betting on himself", he would have played, made another 14 million and, assuming he had a strong season, perhaps proven to another team that he may be close to what he's asking for.

He totally misplayed this if he doesn't come back  by Tuesday.

Just now, The Process said:

I didn't say he was breaking any rules.....(CBA).  It's the big picture....perception.....it's BS.  Before the season started and the development of Connor, he knew his absence would affect HIS team. This tells me he doesn't care about the team. It's plain and simple.....selfish and spoiled. As a working stiff, even I will look at our departments coverage when considering a vacation that could leave them short handed. I say MAN UP  and play the game you were blessed with skills to play. 10 Million, 15 Million, 20 Million.....I mean.....REALLY?

Here we go. I knew the comparison to yourself in your working capacity was coming.  What you do in your life has nothing to do with him as a professional athlete with a typically short career span.   This is nothing but envy as I suspected.  Are you going to be there if and when his body is broken down with exhorbitant medical expenses?  I rather doubt it and it's none of your concern where you get to the point of outrage. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Any team looking at Bell would have to consider his history, which includes a prior league suspension and injuries, and now his sitting out an entire season.  Bell and his agent have been operating in a manner consistent with the terms of the CBA to this point, but it appears that a potential loophole will may allow him to become a free agent next season because the Steelers will not be able to afford the cost of franchising him for a third year at the QB level.  If I were in a front office considering Bell as a free agent acquisition, I would question whether Bell was a "team" kind of guy and find incomprehensible his lack of communication (and his agent's lack of communication) with the Steelers before the season start and during the season.  Having said all of this, I would not be surprised if the Jets or Colts sign Bell this offseason to a massive deal.

Overall, unfortunate for the Steelers and my fantasy team.  The Steelers seem pretty close to this year to being a top team, and having Bell might make a difference in the playoffs.  

Edited by jahnyc

2 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

Any team looking at Bell would have to consider his history, which includes a prior league suspension and injuries, and now his sitting out an entire season.  Bell and his agent have been operating in a manner consistent with the terms of the CBA to this point, but it appears that a potential loophole will may allow him to become a free agent next season because the Steelers will not be able to afford the cost of franchising him for a third year at the QB level.  If I were in a front office considering Bell as a free agent acquisition, I would question whether Bell was a "team" kind of guy and find incomprehensible his lack of communication (and his agent's lack of communication) with the Steelers before the season start and during the season.  Having said all of this, I would not be surprised if the Jets or Colts sign Bell this offseason to a massive deal.

Overall, unfortunate for the Steelers and my fantasy team.  The Steelers seem pretty close to this year to being a top team, and having Bell might make a difference in the playoffs.  

They seem to be doing just fine without him.  James Conner has been excellent in his season long absence and the Steelers' offense hasn't missed a beat. 

I agree that Conner has played really well this season, but he has a concussion now and even though he likely will be cleared to play this week, having two quality RBs (with Bell being relatively fresh) heading into the playoffs could be a major plus given the grind and intensity of playoff games after a long regular season.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jahnyc said:

I agree that Conner has played really well this season, but he has a concussion now and even though he likely will be cleared to play this week, having two quality RBs (with Bell being relatively fresh) heading into the playoffs could be a major plus given the grind and intensity of playoff games after a long regular season.

Good point. Looks like that's not going to happen, but we'll know for certain by Tuesday at 4 PM ET.

58 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

At 26 years old, Bell is set for at least a few more seasons of prime performance. 

27 in feb- 3 years til 30 basically. Definitely would get high performance. My point was teams would sign him with that in mind- 40 mil in 2 years of tags isnt chump change at all. I would tend to think his first 2 years of a new deal would be front loaded and then taper off with a cap friendly out.