Le'Veon Bell Will Sit Out for the Entire 2018 Season

26CornerBlitz

Don't expect Le'Veon Bell to show up to the Steelers facility, or anytime this season for that matter.The team is not expecting their star RB to play for them this season, sources told Ian Rapoport.

[IMG] 

Don't expect Le'Veon Bell to show up to the Pittsburgh Steelers facility next week, or anytime this season for that matter.

Despite owner Art Rooney's recent comments anticipating Bell's return to the facility, the team is not expecting their star RB to play for them this season, sources told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.

Rapoport added Pittsburgh wants him back on the roster, but the front office believes Bell will stay away and await free agency in 2019.

Pittsburgh Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell is unlikely to report to the team by Tuesday's deadline, which would make him ineligible to play the rest of this season, multiple league sources tell ESPN.

Even as the Steelers now brace to lose their marquee running back for the entire season, Bell's camp continues to maintain its cone of silence and repeatedly has declined to address with reporters his plans for the coming week.

As the team and its fans await Tuesday's 4 p.m. ET deadline, by which Bell must report or be ineligible to play for the remainder of the season, it is worth remembering what the Pro Bowl back said in January.
Ten months ago, Bell said he "definitely would consider" sitting out the 2018 season or retiring if the Steelers used the franchise tag on him for a second consecutive season. The Steelers did use the tag, and there are no indications that Bell will report by the deadline.

We're all clearly seeing just how badly missed a star RB of his caliber is in Pittsburgh!

Only game the Bills have played worth a crap this year was completely missed by Shady, too.

Pound and ground!  Control the line of scrimmage!

:lol:

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

Looking at Tuhrod's numbers it makes sense why we had to trade him, since it looked like he would not renegotiate again. But damn we paid for not having at least someone serviceable back there.

How much better is this team with a "serviceable" QB? 2 more wins maybe? Still sitting home in January, so there's no point chasing bad draft position.

Just now, jahnyc said:

He killed my fantasy team this year.  Drafted him in the first round (fourth overall) before it became clear that he would not report for the first game of the season.  I will never forgive him (not that he cares).

2nd overall for me.

• Like (+1) 1

Bell has screwed himself royally imo. Is he a top 5 RB? Sure. He has also proven himself to be a selfish, me first type of player. I don't see him being able to cash in like he would have had he just showed up at work, collected his 15 mill, and did his job. Good for Connor though. He's made the most of his opportunity. 

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, eanyills said:

I can’t wait until he doesn’t get anywhere near what he thinks he’s going to.

It was a gamble sitting out this season and passing on $14 million. But obviously Bell factored in the risk of serious injury (this happened to Matt Forte in a similar situation), which would destroy his future value. So I don't think it's an irrational decision at all. Whether he will ultimately come out ahead, well, who knows ...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

He killed my fantasy team this year.  Drafted him in the first round (fourth overall) before it became clear that he would not report for the first game of the season.  I will never forgive him (not that he cares).

My league mates picked team names centered around our first-round draft picks. Examples: "Mean Gurleys," "Lights, Kamara, Action!"

I called mine "Le'Veon Smells."  :bag:

Edited by Golden Goat
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It was a gamble sitting out this season and passing on $14 million. But obviously Bell factored in the risk of serious injury (this happened to Matt Forte in a similar situation), which would destroy his future value. So I don't think it's an irrational decision at all. Whether he will ultimately come out ahead, well, who knows ...

True. But i dont see how he can come out ahead after forfeiting $14 million, plus while hurting his reputation in the process. I mean to make it up say he plays for another 5 years. He'd have to get a salary increase of $3 million each year just to break even. Is any team gonna offer him $18 million per year on a 5-7 year deal? After missing a whole season?

I think he made a mistake personally. Perhaps his agent gave him bad advice idk. Tbh idk too much about the whole affair, but I'm glad he wasn't on our team. Any future GM's will have to thoroughly vet this whole affair before offering him a contract. If i were a gm i'd have a hard time offering tons of guaranteed money, knowing at some point Bell might decide its not good enough. Like i said i'm just glad he wasnt a Bill haha

45 minutes ago, H2o said:

Bell has screwed himself royally imo. Is he a top 5 RB? Sure. He has also proven himself to be a selfish, me first type of player. I don't see him being able to cash in like he would have had he just showed up at work, collected his 15 mill, and did his job. Good for Connor though. He's made the most of his opportunity. 

Tell that to Earl Thomas.

19 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

True. But i dont see how he can come out ahead after forfeiting $14 million, plus while hurting his reputation in the process. I mean to make it up say he plays for another 5 years. He'd have to get a salary increase of $3 million each year just to break even. Is any team gonna offer him $18 million per year on a 5-7 year deal? After missing a whole season?

I think he made a mistake personally. Perhaps his agent gave him bad advice idk. Tbh idk too much about the whole affair, but I'm glad he wasn't on our team. Any future GM's will have to thoroughly vet this whole affair before offering him a contract. If i were a gm i'd have a hard time offering tons of guaranteed money, knowing at some point Bell might decide its not good enough. Like i said i'm just glad he wasnt a Bill haha

I hope we go after him hard next year. Assuming JA can figure out how to play football, and we can completely revamp the O-line, and get one legit WR, we'd be serious contenders if our D can stay on par.  What's pretty crazy considering how bad the Bills are, is that our window with this current core (White, Hughes, Hyde, Poyer, Edmunds, Milano, JA) is already on a clock. In another 3 years some of these guys will be gone, or their salaries will be so inflated that it's going to cause problems elsewhere. If this staff is at all serious about winning, they need to do whatever they can to put together a run next season. That means loading up with offense that's ready to contribute day 1, not day 2 rookies.

Edited by BullBuchanan

20 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Tell that to Earl Thomas.

I hope we go after him hard next year. Assuming JA can figure out how to play football, and we can completely revamp the O-line, and get one legit WR, we'd be serious contenders if our D can stay on par.  What's pretty crazy considering how bad the Bills are, is that our window with this current core (White, Hughes, Hyde, Poyer, Edmunds, Milano, JA) is already on a clock. In another 3 years some of these guys will be gone, or their salaries will be so inflated that it's going to cause problems elsewhere. If this staff is at all serious about winning, they need to do whatever they can to put together a run next season. That means loading up with offense that's ready to contribute day 1, not day 2 rookies.

I’m sure lots of teams materially improve in one year at 9 starting positions on O all the time

9 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I’m sure lots of teams materially improve in one year at 9 starting positions on O all the time

They don't need 9. They need two serviceable, not great guards (maybe 1 if teller works out) 1 WR minimum, and an RB that has explosive ability. If they go into next season with just a 31 year old McCoy, they'll need a lot more receiving help.

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He would just sit out again. They are better off just letting him walk rather than dealing with the headache.

I would transition him, sitting out another year will do irreparable damage to his career and his earnings which is what he deserves.

The owners can't let the NFL turn into the NBA were the players run the teams.

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

It'll cost them $25.5 million just to make a point. My guess is no.

good point, hopefully no one gives him what he wants, these players are getting out of control with their demands. This is a team sport and it's hard to have a good team if a few guys are hogging all the money.

their really needs to be a position cap so you are not spending 30 million a year on a QB.

• Like (+1) 1