Le'Veon Bell Will Sit Out for the Entire 2018 Season

26CornerBlitz

I cant believe anybody is saying we should go after Bell, I think Shady is worth every penny but cmon. Compared to Le'veons first 7 games of 2017.  He wants to get paid his worth but JC made him completely expendable in my eyes

Conner : 700K/yr, great story, 9 Rush Tds, 4.7 average, 323 receiving yards, good teammate, no bad record

Bell: 15mil/yr, multiple hold outs, multiple weed suspensions, 4 rush td, 4.1 average, 214 rec yards, 26 years old, awful rap album

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

one could argue staying put behind a top 3 line with elite wr options outside and a HOF qb while STILL getting a payday and having the potential to go down as a legend in a city of legends might have been best long term.

instead he turned down a huge deal. left his teammates out to dry and a 3rd rounder came in to outproduce him behind said line..... solid move, bell. 

see above for a good response to that 

Great point, after 1600 touches and he will not find a better situation than Pitt right now. Ill bet he doesnt have close to his career average anywhere else he goes

Edited by BillsMafia13

47 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Football is a business first.  You have to treat it as such. 

We know what Bell brings to the table.  His talent isn't in question.  It's on the team that signs him to make sure the roster has enough talent to be contenders.

We know what Bell brings to the table.  His talent isn't in question.  It's on the team that signs him to make sure the roster has enough talent to be contenders.

Im not going to post it 3 times but its not only a business. Lets not forget it is still a game. If you think it is just a business he got outproduced by a rookie for less of a headache at 1/21 of the price

"If youu could sit out a year of a sport youu play and your not injured or somethin else is preventing youu to play then you dont love it!"- Bell

Edited by BillsMafia13

I'm pro labor and usually not one to side with management, but the players collectively negotiated the current terms of the salary cap and the franchise tag.  So, I don't see the Steelers as the "bad guy" here.  And in Bell's defense, he made it clear from the get go that he absolutely would not report/play this season if it was under the franchise tag, so, you can't say he screwed his teammates over.  The Steelers knew what was at stake when they decided to call Bell's hand.  Turns out he wasn't bluffing.  Both parties lose in the short term, but it is what it is.  Each party made the business decision they felt was right for them.  Again, no "bad guy" here IMO.

As for how it plays out in the long-term, assuming Bell can get somewhere in the vicinity of $35-40 million in guaranteed cash from his new team (and he should barring collusion), it's hard to say definitively that he made a mistake.  And it's not just the possibility of injury that Bell needed to worry about.  If he had a subpar season or showed any kind of drop off in performance, he stood to lose a ton of cash on the open market.  And who knows, maybe Bell was already feeling the cumulative wear and tear of five seasons or had some minor nagging injuries that were likely to affect his performance this year, and decided it was better to give his body a year of rest, and forfeit the $14mil in exchange for a guaranteed $30mil+.

2 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

a part of good business is placing yourself in an atmosphere where you can flourish. I know plenty of people that have taken pay cuts due to better situations elsewhere.

good luck finding a better one than the one he was in already.

also good business by any team would be to look at the fact that a 3rd rounder is putting up better production than bell was at a fraction of the cost. how could other teams see that and not take it into account?

Enter Frank Reich and the Indianapolis Colts.

I support Bell in his principled approach to getting the best deal he can get. People have forgotten that this league was so dirty and evil as to cheat injured players out of their injury settlements by trading them to other teams who would collude by cutting them immediately. Corporate America is run by swine and so is the NFL - the multi billion dollar league that thinks cheerleaders should work for free while they beg governments for subsidies.

12 minutes ago, stuvian said:

I support Bell in his principled approach to getting the best deal he can get. People have forgotten that this league was so dirty and evil as to cheat injured players out of their injury settlements by trading them to other teams who would collude by cutting them immediately. Corporate America is run by swine and so is the NFL - the multi billion dollar league that thinks cheerleaders should work for free while they beg governments for subsidies.

OR........you could choose not to take personal and side-up in a dispute between a team that makes $50M(ahem, taxable) per year and the individual who snubs $15M per year in the league that makes billions per year.

Joe Sixbucks doesn't REALLY have a dog in this fight.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, BillsMafia13 said:

I cant believe anybody is saying we should go after Bell, I think Shady is worth every penny but cmon. Compared to Le'veons first 7 games of 2017.  He wants to get paid his worth but JC made him completely expendable in my eyes

Conner : 700K/yr, great story, 9 Rush Tds, 4.7 average, 323 receiving yards, good teammate, no bad record

Bell: 15mil/yr, multiple hold outs, multiple weed suspensions, 4 rush td, 4.1 average, 214 rec yards, 26 years old, awful rap album

Great point, after 1600 touches and he will not find a better situation than Pitt right now. Ill bet he doesnt have close to his career average anywhere else he goes

Well, it’s certainly a caveat emptor situation.  Someone will pay him, though.

2 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Does anyone know where the money from Bell's forfeited salary goes? It would be nice if they donated it to a good cause.

He didn't forfeit any money because he never signed anything to be under contract and he could not be fined for being away.