Le'Veon Bell Will Sit Out for the Entire 2018 Season

26CornerBlitz

28 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Jets I can see.

It's almost too perfectly set-up for him to go to the Jets.   Overpay him......watch him underachieve.......watch him turn into a front page tabloid topic for the next few years.

I could see the Bills in the bidding though...........unless Josh Allen looks outstanding from here out they aren't likely to have much luck getting a #1 WR in FA........so they could try to rationalize signing Bell because of the need for a playmaker and the fact that he's very smooth in the pass game(for a RB) is a built-in excuse.

Just feels like whoever gives Bell a 3-5 year deal is destined to regret it.  

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/10/2018 at 10:33 PM, jahnyc said:

He killed my fantasy team this year.  Drafted him in the first round (fourth overall) before it became clear that he would not report for the first game of the season.  I will never forgive him (not that he cares).

I did too, but took Conner very late. Held onto Bell all year, but Conner has been aok :) Now I get a free roster spot to make a playoff push.

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I hope his rap career can subsidize the amount of money he just wasted.  I dont think he is going to find what he is looking for next season either.

Who holds a 14 million dollar lottery ticket in their hand and throws it away?

especially if you understand the Time Value of Money.

Even if you are wealthy you understand a dollar is worth more now than in the future...

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Cant see him coming to the Bills..

Jets yes...

Possibly also

Colts

49ers

Browns

Colts like Marlon Mack and he is starting to ball out

49ers have Breida

Browns have Chubb and Duke J

I'll take a hungry guy who can perform on a rookie contract (or rookie) over a guy that quit on his team despite a $14 million payday. Especially at RB.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Colts like Marlon Mack and he is starting to ball out

49ers have Breida

Browns have Chubb and Duke J

I'll take a hungry guy who can perform on a rookie contract (or rookie) over a guy that quit on his team despite a $14 million payday. Especially at RB.

Mack is getting paid about $400K per year and The Colts have a lot of spare cap that they are going to have to spend on something...

Browns and 49ers have the cap space too.. he is going to go to where he gets the most money, so logically you would think that this would be one of the teams with the most space..

Edited by Aussie Joe

It's funny how he's portrayed as either a villain or a hero. He's neither. He's just a dude who made a business decision. Personally, I don't think it was a wise one, but I could be wrong. I suppose he could have had a career ending injury, although that seems unlikely. With modern medicine most guys come back. An injury might have hurt his value going forward, but would it hurt it by more than $14.5 million? I doubt it, but we'll never know.

It will be interesting to see how much guaranteed money he gets in his next contract. $14.5 mil is pretty good security for a RB these days.

• Like (+1) 1

Good move. My guess is it will pay off...obviously nobody really knows the future but he definitely avoided injury and the 300+ touches he was in for this season. I mean look at Connor, not saying it's 100% due to usage but the guy is already concussed by week 11. The Steelers use up their backs, especially in the AFCN, and Bell is trying for one last big deal. I think he played his hand right.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

He was set to double his career earnings.    Wealth or not that's a huge loss.

He might get the money he wanted from another team.  Folks assume he won't, but they shouldn't.  It's possible.

But the man is already a multi-millionaire.  And even if he doesn't get all of what he wants in his next deal he will still be signing another multi-million dollar contract.  He's playing with house money.  

He is not working a regular nine-to-five gig and pissing away the golden goose.  If that were the case, yeah, maybe not the best decision.  As it is, his grandkids can live comfortably. Once he signs his next deal add his great-great grandkids to that group.  

It's irrelevant to compare the likes of Bell to other running backs. He fills both a WR and RB role, just like David Johnson. There a small number of players who you would call skill players, not RB or WR. Tyreek Hill is another coming from the other direction. They play both positions

They will command a higher figure. You need to look at WR numbers for Bell not RB ones.

I'd love to see the actuarial tables and risk tables on this decision.   Doesnt seem like he could possibly over earn the 14.5 mil he gave up. 

The chances of getting hurt on the field to chances of getting hurt/losing a step by missing a year would be an interesting comparison.  

Also teams will take his behaviour into account when looking at him. 

My gut bad decision but I actually dont really care-not my cash!

5 hours ago, purple haze said:

He might get the money he wanted from another team.  Folks assume he won't, but they shouldn't.  It's possible.

But the man is already a multi-millionaire.  And even if he doesn't get all of what he wants in his next deal he will still be signing another multi-million dollar contract.  He's playing with house money.  

He is not working a regular nine-to-five gig and pissing away the golden goose.  If that were the case, yeah, maybe not the best decision.  As it is, his grandkids can live comfortably. Once he signs his next deal add his great-great grandkids to that group.  

I understand what you're saying.  But you are also assuming he isn't spending it like a total buffoon.   Just my best guess, but I assume he isnt spending money like an average 9-5 guy either.    It may seem crazy to us, but how many times have you heard of these guys pissing away millions of dollars and ending up bankrupt?

On 11/10/2018 at 10:37 PM, eanyills said:

I can’t wait until he doesn’t get anywhere near what he thinks he’s going to.

I think he knows this.  It's personal with the Steelers.  What if he signed his tender at the beginning of the season, only to tear his achilles like Dez just did?  LeVeon has to do what's best for him long term.

He'll sign a 3 or 4 year deal for around $12-$15 million per elsewhere.

6 hours ago, purple haze said:

He might get paid a ton by a future team, but he'll never get that 14 million back.