Le'Veon Bell Will Sit Out for the Entire 2018 Season

26CornerBlitz

21 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I would transition him, sitting out another year will do irreparable damage to his career and his earnings which is what he deserves.

The owners can't let the NFL turn into the NBA were the players run the teams.

good point, hopefully no one gives him what he wants, these players are getting out of control with their demands. This is a team sport and it's hard to have a good team if a few guys are hogging all the money.

their really needs to be a position cap so you are not spending 30 million a year on a QB.

So he should have signed his tender and what happens if he tears an ACL or some other catastrophic Injury? Guess what, he would lose much more than 14 million.  He has played out his rookie deal and was franchised twice. Running backs have the shortest shelf lives of all positions. Without question, he has earned a big pay day. 

2 minutes ago, mjohns85 said:

So he should have signed his tender and what happens if he tears an ACL or some other catastrophic Injury? Guess what, he would lose much more than 14 million.  He has played out his rookie deal and was franchised twice. Running backs have the shortest shelf lives of all positions. Without question, he has earned a big pay day. 

Earl Thomas is an example. I can’t really fault Bell. 

14 hours ago, The Process said:

I'm not going to work Monday. I don't care that I accepted my salary a year ago. I want more. If I stay out till Thursday with no doctor's note I'll be fired. These spoiled rotten brats piss me off! 

Well, it sounds like you probably aren't in the top 3 in the world at what you do, or else they wouldn't risk firing you. Maybe you should focus on improving your skills? I've put the onus on management to pay me more a couple of times in my career. Once they didn't take me seriously and I signed a "free agent deal" elsewhere for max value. Just because you don't understand it, doesn't make it wrong. In fact, it's very very right.

The money exists, and so someone's going to get it. Always look out for #1.

5 hours ago, The Process said:

haha his medical expenses are not what he's crying about......dude has millions

According to NFL.com, the Steelers made one final offer to Bell on Monday, just hours before the NFL's 4 p.m. ET deadline for teams to negotiate a new contract with their franchise player. The offer from the Steelers was worth a total of $70 million over five years (or $14 million per season). Although the offer would have given Bell the largest multi-year contract of any running back in the NFL, he turned it down, and one reason he likely did that, is because it was nowhere near his asking price, which was reportedly in the neighborhood of $17 million per season.......need more info?

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/07/17/Le-Veon-Bell-Adisa-Bakari-Steelers-franchise-tag-running-back/stories/201807170123

The story above is why you don't go into research trying to prove a point, but trying to figure out what the real story is. need more info?

12 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

When did this country become so pro-management?

It's kind of creepy really. Good for him.

About halfway through 2015.

1 hour ago, mjohns85 said:

What if everyone tears their ACL ??  injuries happen, he should have signed.

14.5 mill is more than enough for a RB, he is never getting the money he wants and he doesn't deserve it as no one player is more important than the game.I

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

What if everyone tears their ACL ??  injuries happen, he should have signed.

14.5 mill is more than enough for a RB, he is never getting the money he wants and he doesn't deserve it as no one player is more important than the game.I

Your one note anti-worker stance had been heard loud and clear. You've failed to make any other significant point to help your cause. The simple fact is that Bell is going to get a wheelbarrow full of money after the season, and whether it's jealousy or spite, you aren't happy about it.

Cool. No one cares but you. You're also wrong on at least 3 different levels. Have a nice night 

Edited by BullBuchanan

7 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Your one note anti-worker stance had been heard loud and clear. You've failed to make any other significant point to help your cause. The simple fact is that Bell is going to get a wheelbarrow full of money after the season, and whether it's jealousy or spite, you aren't happy about it.

Cool. No one cares but you. You're also wrong on at least 3 different levels. Have a nice night 

I love how you phrase this, Herr Marx. This isn’t some semiliterate working in a cannery striking for an extra bathroom break, this is a millionaire crying about not making more millions. He’s LITERALLY in the 1%.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Yes - he probably will get a wheelbarrow full of money - the funny part is after he gets paid by another team at 15 million per season with the signing bonus he will need to play 14 years to make up what he lost in the stupid hold out.

The Steelers have offered him multiple long term options, but always at around 14 million per season- so even then if he gets his demands of 17 million per season (which I doubt) it takes 5 years just to break even.  

I feel Bell is within his rights to do this, but I also think he will be a bit surprised that he overvalued himself and this stunt will cost him money long term and will cost him security that he could of had with an excellent Pittsburgh team for the next 5 years.

Truth is, the Steelers offered Bell a lucrative contract before the season, he refused. I think his demands are outrageous, he didn't have to play on the tag, he chose that. Doubt the Bills go after him, but I wouldn't be upset if they did. Bell could save McD's job. Revamp that OL and we're significantly improved. Once again, doubt they do that but I would. Tell Shady to take a pay cut and sign Bell, that would be the best backfield in the NFL and our offense would be good. Combine that with an improved defense and we're in the playoffs.

21 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

When did this country become so pro-management?

It's kind of creepy really. Good for him.

Its a really interesting topic.  Like climate change, it’s incredible that it’s been turned into a partisan issue. 

This is country has the least friendly employment and labor laws of any first world country, despite our works working more hours on average. Go back and look how hard the FMLA was to enact...and it’s one of the most pro-management leave acts around.  

I remember before the season there seemed to be a lot of push back against Leveon from his own teammates which is very odd considering players tend to either defend their teammates or stay totally out of it when it comes to them trying to get more money during contract negotiations.

That aside, with a full lost year of no incoming money, it will be hard to make up the $14m he could have made this year even if he does get the $17m he desires.  

25 minutes ago, Magox said:

I remember before the season there seemed to be a lot of push back against Leveon from his own teammates which is very odd considering players tend to either defend their teammates or stay totally out of it when it comes to them trying to get more money during contract negotiations.

That aside, with a full lost year of no incoming money, it will be hard to make up the $14m he could have made this year even if he does get the $17m he desires.  

Someone should have given Bell a lesson on the present value of money.

32 minutes ago, Magox said:

You are failing to understand the value of years on a contract and guaranteed money.

if Bell played this year and got seriously injured, want to guess how much money he would make on his next contract?

18 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

You are failing to understand the value of years on a contract and guaranteed money.

if Bell played this year and got seriously injured, want to guess how much money he would make on his next contract?

He was just offered $30 million over the first 2 years. 

My understanding from the press was the guaranteed money hasn't been to his liking in the contract offers and he's concerned about the wear and tear on his body after around 400 touches last season. I'm glad he's holding the steelers' feet to the fire, remember it isn't only this year he's been franchised.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

13 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

My understanding from the press was the guaranteed money hasn't been to his liking in the contract offers and he's concerned about the wear and tear on his body after around 400 last season. I'm glad he's holding the steelers' feet to the fire, remember it isn't only this year he's been franchised.

Yeah, the Steelers leaked the "terms" of their contract offer to paint him in a bad light, when in reality, they were offering him very little in terms of guaranteed money. I can't say I blame him for sitting out the year; playing would have risked his next big contract and Pittsburgh wasn't negotiating in good faith.

3 hours ago, Magox said:

He was just offered $30 million over the first 2 years. 

Not guaranteed. If you listen to Bell's agent, which you should, the guaranteed money was the sticking point. NFL contracts are usually only in favor of the employer. They get to lock you in at the negotiated rate, even if you drastically outperform, and they can release you for little to no real cash commitment whenever they please. B they also have the ability to go after your signing bonus money if you're forced to retire because you got hurt on the job.

If Bell gets a 5 year deal at $15m a year with high guaranteed money, in his mind that makes up for losing 14.5m this year. I get the argument from people on max value, but you also haven't shredded a knee with an annual value of $15-20m.

Ask DeMarco Murray about his free agent payday.

Under the NHL contract, a player who doesn't honour a year of rights held by a team doesn't move forward (to free agency, or interest arbitration) until he does.  The Alexei Yashin case settled that.  I always thought that the NFL contract was more owner friendly.  Not so, on this point?