Can't help myself but McD cost Peterman a long fruitful career

Billsfan1972

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

I believe Peterman has been bad on purpose so he can get released and go to the Pats where he will take over for Brady and beat us for the next decade.

Wouldn't that be a kick in the . . . . 

7 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again Peterman is not an NFL ready QB and what McD did in 2017 was stupid and he doubled down this year. 

Quit comparing the 2017 5th round qb with the #7 pick.

Well they are comparable inasmuch as they are both raw and inexperienced players at the same position needing a lot of work and both being in a less than ideal environment as far as their development is concerned. Obviously there are also big differences which explain why Allen is the #7 pick and Peterman a fifth rounder: basically if successful, Allen projects as a franchise guy, and Peterman as a potential backup. 

So, with those caveats I think you can speak of Allen and Peterman in the same breath, if that's alright with you.

Actually, even if that's not alright with you. 

4 hours ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

no NFL quarterback wants to be a "career backup" or "the best preseason player".  Give me a break.

no of course not....however, if that is how your career fell then so be it. Make millions holding a clip board. Still play NFL QB in practice and occasional starts at the same time reducing head injuries drastically etc etc......could be worse things than that.

Players do not have total control over their careers.

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And probably millions of dollars by playing him and making him a whipping boy/punchline.

Looking at the list of NFL back-ups and third-stringers, NP could well have been a very competent back-up QB and one of the greatest pre-season practise players of all-time.  Four years as a back-up with almost no NFL playing time and yes maybe he would have learned, watched and then was given an opportunity much more mature and capable.  Maybe he would have succeeded.

Look at his predecessor Tyrod Taylor.

Very simply I feel somewhat sorry for Peterman and blame McD for creating this sham that all started with him and his dismantling of the O in 2017 and the terrible offensive coaching and playcalling.

They are to blame for putting Peterman in when he wasn't ready and not giving him the tools (players and schemes) to succeed and ruining what as said could have been a nice career as a buck-up.

m7hw6.jpg

3 hours ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

I, too, could be a successful NFL quarterback, if I never had to play a down.

no you could not.

You would have to show a live arm and grasp of football many times in practice and pre season games to earn the right to make a 53 man roster. Every year you will be tested by many younger QB's coming out of college. It is not easy. 

Holy **** this is sad

Most back ups do not even get the luxury of sitting on the bench for years without playing

Late round rookies get thrown in all the time and look a lot more competent than Peterman 

UDFA Jeff Tuel looked more competent 

and best Pre season QB of all time? ? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No one is missing the point. Typically, backup QBs, get, and maintain, jobs based on their PLAY when thrown in. There is a reason that guys like McCown, Hoyer, Anderson, Matt Moore, etc.. kick around for a decade plus. It’s because they can hold down the fort for a month or so if the QB gets hurt. They have PROVEN that. Peterman has done the opposite. The only person that he has to blame for being out of the league after a year and a half is  himself. 

I feel much much worse for guys like Levi Brown that wash out of the league without ever getting a chance to proven themselves. Maybe he could have been Nick Mullens? We don’t know. We never saw it. 

Chase McDaniels has thrown........  78 career passes......  $28,000,000/78 = $358,974/pass!!!!!!!  

7 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Chase McDaniels has thrown........  78 career passes......  $28,000,000/78 = $358,974/pass!!!!!!!  

Again, that’s the “Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round” argument. He was. So were 200+ other scrub QBs since then. Let’s not focus on 1/2 of 1%. Let’s focus on the 99.5% likelihood. There are a few incredibly rare exceptions like Daniel.

The overwhelming majority play well and keep the job, play poorly and lose a job or never get a chance because of their pedigree. Peterman’s pedigree barely warranted an opportunity. He got MULTIPLE and failed every step of the way. Levi Brown was a similar type of prospect. Jeff Tuel was as well. Tuel played WAY better in his one start than Peterman has in any game that he has played. Are you outraged that he still isn’t collecting a paycheck? He is certainly more deserving.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

He wasn't ready and should never have seen the field beyond mop up duty.....

As said tongue in cheek & while I never want to see Peterman start or succeed for the Bills, as that would be fools gold and we'd (as fans and those on this site) be stuck in multiple threads and back & forths as to his ability or to keep him and trot him out over & over, I do to some extent feel sorry & bad for him.

As said too, this is entriely McD's fault. 

Now I wonder if anyone asks Chase Daniels whether he'd rather have $28,000,000 or have been given the opportunity that NP got?

Oh & thanks to all that got the gist of the thread.......

Like I said.....Nope. Not even close.

Obviously, the vast majority of QB's drafted in the later rounds do not make it in the NFL. Even most highly drafted QB's seldom become "Franchise QB's". How many backup QB's can you remember that turned out really well? Other than Brady who is the "outlier" of the bunch, who else comes to mind? As far as Tyrod is concerned, what has he really achieved? He may be a likeable guy but has he really been a successful NFL starting QB? For that matter, how many current NFL starting QB's are really any good?

A lot of college QB's as well as other positions can excel in college because they are not going up against "the best of the best" every week like they do in the NFL. 

If a player can’t overcome adversity, he won’t succeed. Especially QBs. That’s on Peterman. I might even argue the contrary, that by giving him an opportunity in the first place, McD set Peterman up for success. But Peterman’s carpe diem game is weak. 

the FO can neither identify nor manage QBs. they showed us this much during the off season, and even more so now with the signing and possible start of Matt Barkley.

8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

If a player can’t overcome adversity, he won’t succeed. Especially QBs. That’s on Peterman. I might even argue the contrary, that by giving him an opportunity in the first place, McD set Peterman up for success. But Peterman’s carpe diem game is weak. 

McD is on his 2nd OC, in his 2nd year as HC. he's not putting anyone on offense in the position to succeed.

I don't think I would go as far as the OP in my assessment of McDermott's handling of Peterman, but he was not done any favors by having to start as a relatively unprepared rookie behind an inadequate offensive line.  I don't see hi sticking long term with the Bills, but I wouldn't rule out seeing him stick as a backup with another team in 2019.  I think in the right situation he could develop and thrive.