Joe Ferguson video

20 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Guess you're too young to recall Jack Kemp.

Ding ding ding

he can be where those who cheered for him want to put him in the list

1 minute ago, fridge said:

You could be 60 years old and still be too young to remember Kemp.

It’s an honour to have people who saw Kemp in his prime on here!

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Ferguson was all man in that game and many times throughout his career.

The head down thing was my only problem with him.

Agreed.  When Fergy was on, man, was he on.  However, he was known as a "head hanger."   Kelly, on the other hand, I never saw him hang his head, no matter how horrible a throw he threw.  Allen so far keeps his head up and hope this continues.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GRHater69 said:

He survived some really bad teams. They were 3-11 at one point in '77 and he rebounded under Chuck Knox to become one of the better QBs in the game a few seasons later. We should take note that he needed weapons around him to be successful and he didn't always have that here. In some ways he had less to deal with then what we have now.  I will always be a fan and respect him for what he did as a Bill.

For many of his years, his interceptions and sacks exceeded his touchdown passes, but he was good enough to be the Bills starting QB for twelve years.

That tells you the miserable TEAM play was not all on him. :w00t:  

His career stats make him a perhaps average QB on a poor team. Imagine him on the 70's Steelers or Dolphins! 

BTW, in Ground Chuck's five years as head coach, he had only TWO winning seasons. But under Knox, Fergie had his four BEST career QB ratings, when he played 16 games. 

He played backup for the Lions, Bucs and Colts after leaving Buffalo, Just shy of 30,000 passing yards.

I am a Ferguson fan, too!

I always said they cut Ferguson, wearing #12 in 1984, in the hopes of signing Jim Kelly, who took #12 to the Houston Gamblers.

37 minutes ago, mabden said:

Agreed.  When Fergy was on, man, was he on.  However, he was known as a "head hanger."   Kelly, on the other hand, I never saw him hang his head, no matter how horrible a throw he threw.  Allen so far keeps his head up and hope this continues.

Ferguson has said that the head hanging was misinterpreted. He said he was already thinking about what he would do when he got the ball back, and was making plans. Someone should have told him how that was perceived negatively by anyone looking at him. 

His career INT rate was almost 15% per attempt too. :bag:

10 hours ago, row_33 said:

Kelly was the best Bills QB for my 45 years

Big gap in talent to get to Joe at 2, he was good, last seen with the Lions getting KTFO against the Bears in the mid 80s

and nobody honestly is worth discussing at 3

Damn.  There goes the Kelly Holcomb/Thad Lewis/Trent Edwards debate I was planning.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Fergie’s underrated.   He started out being the guy who handed off to OJ but later developed into a good QB.  In 1981, for example, he threw for more yards than better remembered guys like Montana, Bradshaw and Jaworski.

Bert Jones against Fergy was always the highlight of Colts vs Bills games.    The fact that fans would hold his looking down against him never made sense to me but even back then, haters had to hate.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, fridge said:

You could be 60 years old and still be too young to remember Kemp.

That doesn't mean he shouldn't be in a discussion about the best bills quarterbacks.  In a QB discussion, should fans in their 20's ignore Kelly because they never saw him play?

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/10/2018 at 8:22 PM, danc said:

That doesn't mean he shouldn't be in a discussion about the best bills quarterbacks.  In a QB discussion, should fans in their 20's ignore Kelly because they never saw him play?

When did I say that? I was making a joke...

On 11/10/2018 at 3:24 PM, SoCal Deek said:

...that playoff game against the Chargers where he played on one leg was one was of the gutsiest things I’ve ever witnessed in sports. He earned a ton of respect that day!

That was the toughest Bills loss ever in all my years as a Bills fan, tougher even than wide right.  Fergy was a real hero that day and played hurt, really hurt.

It was the first good season that the Bills had since 1966 and came after going 0-20 against the Fish during the 1970s, the Bills beat Miami in week 1 and opened the season 5-0.  Had all of us thinking that maybe, finally, this was our year.  Then a gimpy Ferguson led the Bills to a lead against SD after 3 quarters but it came apart in the 4th.

It still hurts.

You can watch it here: 

Edited by Dan Darragh
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

That was the toughest Bills loss ever in all my years as a Bills fan, tougher even than wide right.  Fergy was a real hero that day and played hurt, really hurt.

It was the first good season that the Bills had since 1966 and came after going 0-20 against the Fish during the 1970s, the Bills beat Miami in week 1 and opened the season 5-0.  Had all of us thinking that maybe, finally, this was our year.  Then a gimpy Ferguson lead the Bills to a lead against SD after 3 quarters but it came apart in the 4th.

It still hurts.

You can watch it here: 

That game... so many missed opportunities! If Cribbs gets that first down on third and short late in the 4th, the Chargers are never in the position to win... if Charlie Romes holds onto that INT on the play before the winning TD.... aaaaaarrrgggh. It's hard to be a Bills fan.

But it was easy to like Fergy. He was a baller, and is the center of my first Bills memories. Glad he is thriving.

On a related subject, what was in the water in Shreveport back then? Woodlawn High School produced Terry Bradshaw, Joe Ferguson, and Bert Jones!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RJ (not THAT RJ) said:

If Cribbs gets that first down on third and short late in the 4th, the Chargers are never in the position to win.

All season long they had given the ball to Roosevelt Leaks in situations like that.  He almost never touched the ball except on 3rd and short or 4th and short, and he averaged 3.7 yards per carry.  He was money.

I never understood why they gave the ball to Cribbs on that play.

6 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

All season long they had given the ball to Roosevelt Leaks in situations like that.  He almost never touched the ball except on 3rd and short or 4th and short, and he averaged 3.7 yards per carry.  He was money.

I never understood why they gave the ball to Cribbs on that play.

Man, I remember the yelling from my Dad along those exact lines. And Cribbs ran wide! Gah! Ground Chuck went all Filet Mignon at the wrong time....

• Haha (+1) 1

Bill Simpson was our 3rd starting safety that year. Jeff Nixon tore and ACL which was a shame, he could have been a good player for many years, and his backup Rod Kush also went down to injury. Maybe if 1 of those guys is healthy that TD pass to Smith doesn't happen....maybe. God that as tough just now to watch that play, but thanks for posting.

Edited by GRHater69
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GRHater69 said:

Bill Simpson was our 3rd starting safety that year. Jeff Nixon tore and ACL which was a shame, he could have been a good player for many years, and his backup Rod Kush also went down to injury. Maybe if 1 of those guys is healthy that TD pass to Smith doesn't happen....maybe. God that as tough just now to watch that play, but thanks for posting.

The following year, Simpson would save a playoff win over the Jets with an interception late in the 4th quarter. Football is funny that way.

• Like (+1) 1