Sorry, not football: UB takes down #13 WV in BB, on the road

dollars 2 donuts

29 minutes ago, suorangefan4 said:

This is beyond awesome watching them perform at such a high level in both football and basketball. 

UB has a good chance to be in the the 25 in the new polls in both football and basketball!

As noted in another thread, UB is one of only 10 schools nationally that has their football and men’s and women’s basketball teams all getting votes in the top 25 polls.

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

Pegula should hire the AD that hired Leipold and Hurley/Oats as the President of PSE.  That guy was able to find coaches that play both games the modern way.

Danny White. Ironically he's despised by the Buffalo News and some UB fans because he dared to try and rebrand as "New York." The monster!

I didn't watch the whole game but frow what I did see one obvious takeaway that comes to mind watching them is that they are tough. It goes beyond being scrappy rising to to the level of being both mentally and physically tough. They are unrelenting. When they get down they don't fold. They become more resolute and soldier on. WVA may not be one of the best teams in the country, although they are one of the better teams in the country, but they are acknowledged as being one of the toughest teams to play, especially in that raucous venue. 

What I like about the Buffalo coach and program is that they are not afraid to schedule good teams because of a fear of losing out on cupcake wins to embellish its record. These early challenging games accumulate and serve the purpose of developing a better and more mature team. I salute them. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I didn't watch the whole game but frow what I did see one obvious takeaway that comes to mind watching them is that they are tough. It goes beyond being scrappy rising to to the level of being both mentally and physically tough. They are unrelenting. When they get down they don't fold. They become more resolute and soldier on. WVA may not be one of the best teams in the country, although they are one of the better teams in the country, but they are acknowledged as being one of the toughest teams to play, especially in that raucous venue. 

What I like about the Buffalo coach and program is that they are not afraid to schedule good teams because of a fear of losing out on cupcake wins to embellish its record. These early challenging games accumulate and serve the purpose of developing a better and more mature team. I salute them. 

Mark your calendars: UB @ Syracuse, Tuesday December 18 on ESPN2.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Danny White. Ironically he's despised by the Buffalo News and some UB fans because he dared to try and rebrand as "New York." The monster!

Honestly I think that was a crappy move by him too. Buffalo people are very prideful to their city. When we win I want people to hear Buffalo won not New York won.

Danny did a great job with everything else though.

Edited by suorangefan4
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, suorangefan4 said:

Honestly I think that was a crappy move by him too. Buffalo people are very prideful to their city. When we win I want people to hear Buffalo won not New York won.

Danny did a great job with everything else though.

I thought it was a great move. Why shouldn't Buffalo represent all of New York? Are people in Columbus upset it's Ohio State? The pride is sometimes misapplied.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Buffalo beats #13 West Virginia makes me feel better than New York beats #13 West Virginia. It gets a lot more recognition for the city too.

I want to talk to people and say have you seen how awesome Buffalo is this year?! Not have you seen how awesome New York is this year

Edited by suorangefan4

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Mark your calendars: UB @ Syracuse, Tuesday December 18 on ESPN2.

The coach of UB was on WGR and he stated that Boeheim told him that if he didn't get that good win against UB his team would not have made the tournament last year. I'll be looking forward to that game. 

You may not be aware of it but WGR's Sal C and Jeremy White do not wish you well. ?

13 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I thought it was a great move. Why shouldn't Buffalo represent all of New York? Are people in Columbus upset it's Ohio State? The pride is sometimes misapplied.

I don’t think they are exactly the same situations.

Ohio State has been branded The Ohio State forever and have been playing high level ball for 100 years. They are already branded 

Maybe some people want the emphasis on University at Buffalo. 

Not The State University of New York at Buffalo which doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue ? 

besides if they ever got to that level of School (OSU level) they should just join the big 10 like I said . They’d be way to good for the American ? 

9 hours ago, JohnC said:

The coach of UB was on WGR and he stated that Boeheim told him that if he didn't get that good win against UB his team would not have made the tournament last year. I'll be looking forward to that game. 

You may not be aware of it but WGR's Sal C and Jeremy White do not wish you well. ?

That certainly was a pivotal game 

SU played with 7 men pretty much all year . Unheard of in ACC

2 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I know I am pulling this out my backside a bit, because I did no research and I have no proof, but could you imagine if on December 18th we have the first ever meeting between two ranked New York State teams?

Oh, if there was some way to have two ranked NYS football teams in the Pinstripe Bowl.

On 11/11/2018 at 8:30 AM, dollars 2 donuts said:

I know I am pulling this out my backside a bit, because I did no research and I have no proof, but could you imagine if on December 18th we have the first ever meeting between two ranked New York State teams?

yea you pulled that out your backside buddy ?

Syracuse, St John’s had good amount of ranked showdowns

UB , Syracuse I can see both being ranked when they meet 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:42 AM, JohnC said:

It is a no lose situation for UB to schedule early away games against teams like WV.  Lose & no big deal, somehow win & that is a great resume builder for march.  MAC is traditionally a one bid conference, perhaps with a true road win against WV, UB could break that trend if they falter in their Conference Tournament.

Also, December 29, UB takes the short commute to main Street to take on the Griffs.  Canisius also should have a memorable season this year as they bring back pretty much everybody from their 21 win team last year.  Griff aren't at the level UB is at but should be a fun atmosphere at the Koessler Center that night.  

27 minutes ago, Gordio said:

It is a no lose situation for UB to schedule early away games against teams like WV.  Lose & no big deal, somehow win & that is a great resume builder for march.  MAC is traditionally a one bid conference, perhaps with a true road win against WV, UB could break that trend if they falter in their Conference Tournament.

Also, December 29, UB takes the short commute to main Street to take on the Griffs.  Canisius also should have a memorable season this year as they bring back pretty much everybody from their 21 win team last year.  Griff aren't at the level UB is at but should be a fun atmosphere at the Koessler Center that night.  

There are plenty of programs that play early cupcake games to burnish their record. Georgetown is a classic example of that. My core point in my prior post is that playing good teams before you get into your conference schedule helps your team to get better whether you win or lose those challenging games. Whether UB would have won or lost it would have benefited the experience because it demonstrates that they can play competitively with anyone. 

I'm a Canisius grad, as is Kirby who is very in tuned with the program, and am very happy with the direction the program is moving. The Witherspoon hire was a terrific hire. It is evident that this program is steadily getting better. When all is said and done it's about recruiting talent. He's done a good job in that area. My main disappointment with the program is that the students haven't embraced the program to the extent that they should. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.