Sorry, not football: UB takes down #13 WV in BB, on the road

dollars 2 donuts

2 hours ago, Gordio said:

It is a no lose situation for UB to schedule early away games against teams like WV.  Lose & no big deal, somehow win & that is a great resume builder for march.  MAC is traditionally a one bid conference, perhaps with a true road win against WV, UB could break that trend if they falter in their Conference Tournament.

Also, December 29, UB takes the short commute to main Street to take on the Griffs.  Canisius also should have a memorable season this year as they bring back pretty much everybody from their 21 win team last year.  Griff aren't at the level UB is at but should be a fun atmosphere at the Koessler Center that night.  

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

There are plenty of programs that play early cupcake games to burnish their record. Georgetown is a classic example of that. My core point in my prior post is that playing good teams before you get into your conference schedule helps your team to get better whether you win or lose those challenging games. Whether UB would have won or lost it would have benefited the experience because it demonstrates that they can play competitively with anyone. 

I'm a Canisius grad, as is Kirby who is very in tuned with the program, and am very happy with the direction the program is moving. The Witherspoon hire was a terrific hire. It is evident that this program is steadily getting better. When all is said and done it's about recruiting talent. He's done a good job in that area. My main disappointment with the program is that the students haven't embraced the program to the extent that they should. 

Go Griffs!  I am a Canisius grad, too.

I also like these strong early games, but winning them...vaults you into the top 25, which is nice!

Gents, I'll say this, if they go into mid to late December undefeated and beat a ranked Syracuse and a ranked Marquette, back to back?!

WHOOAAAA NELLIE!!!!!  This UB team should be talked about in the top 12!

17 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Go Griffs!  I am a Canisius grad, too.

I also like these strong early games, but winning them...vaults you into the top 25, which is nice!

Gents, I'll say this, if they go into mid to late December undefeated and beat a ranked Syracuse and a ranked Marquette, back to back?!

WHOOAAAA NELLIE!!!!!  This UB team should be talked about in the top 12!

They had to win from behind twice now. While that's impressive i don't want to press my luck doing that all season. They have to start getting their shots to fall sooner.

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They had to win from behind twice now. While that's impressive i don't want to press my luck doing that all season. They have to start getting their shots to fall sooner.

100% agree.  Promo, I hope Oates is using these as learning experiences.  Weird to think that continually leading in those games would have a detrimental effect, but they could have.

At least coming from behind keeps them honest, with something to work on.

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

There are plenty of programs that play early cupcake games to burnish their record. Georgetown is a classic example of that. My core point in my prior post is that playing good teams before you get into your conference schedule helps your team to get better whether you win or lose those challenging games. Whether UB would have won or lost it would have benefited the experience because it demonstrates that they can play competitively with anyone. 

I'm a Canisius grad, as is Kirby who is very in tuned with the program, and am very happy with the direction the program is moving. The Witherspoon hire was a terrific hire. It is evident that this program is steadily getting better. When all is said and done it's about recruiting talent. He's done a good job in that area. My main disappointment with the program is that the students haven't embraced the program to the extent that they should. 

Georgetown is in a different situation than UB is.  Georgetown's conference is not a one bid conference so they could afford to schedule cupcakes to pump up their win total.  Sometimes that strategy works, sometimes it doesn't.  UB is in a situation where their conference is typically a one bid conference. Getting experience or not getting experience, it was smart scheduling in the fact that they have a good enough team this year that they should be lurking around the top 25 all year & if they get true road wins against WV & possibly Cuse they may get an at large selection.  That is the  only point I was trying to make.

I am a Canisius grad too(Masters degree there).  Their fan base has always been a bit funny.  Big commuting school, KC is a small glorified High School gym so when they do pack it in, it is a tough place to play.  They have a fun team to watch this year & should give UB all they could handle.  

Edited by Gordio

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

The UB story is great.  Get ready, however,  to strap in for some tough games.  I think their opponents are going to really be pumped up to beat the #25 Bulls.  Especially the local teams (Canisius & Bona).  

Well Bona should have pumped up for Niagara :lol:

On 11/10/2018 at 12:42 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

I thought it was a great move. Why shouldn't Buffalo represent all of New York? Are people in Columbus upset it's Ohio State? The pride is sometimes misapplied.

They arent upset because there is nearly 130 years of built in tradition and they arent upsetting the apple cart by a lame marketing move.

I thought New York State or whatever was a lame attempt.  It just felt a bit silly and forced.  I get the reasons why they did it, but glad they pulled the plug.  They were trying to maybe get a bit more student support from downstate students.  I think there are better ways to do that.  Not sure if they can ever win over the loyalty of the WNY public unless they become a Boise State or Gonzaga.  Buffalo is an overrated sports town when it comes to supporting non-major league entities (minus the strange Bandits obsession).  If you name the team after NYU, it would be even tougher to get the support of the general public.  

White's body of work at UB was great.  Good hires, got rid of that BS artist Quinn.  raised good money and pointed the athletics firmly in the right direction.  I do wish him/they could really do something about that awful football "stadium".  But I think it would/will be very difficult to ever get away from the constraints of that monstrosity.

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

They arent upset because there is nearly 130 years of built in tradition and they arent upsetting the apple cart by a lame marketing move.

I thought New York State or whatever was a lame attempt.  It just felt a bit silly and forced.  I get the reasons why they did it, but glad they pulled the plug.  They were trying to maybe get a bit more student support from downstate students.  I think there are better ways to do that.  Not sure if they can ever win over the loyalty of the WNY public unless they become a Boise State or Gonzaga.  Buffalo is an overrated sports town when it comes to supporting non-major league entities (minus the strange Bandits obsession).  If you name the team after NYU, it would be even tougher to get the support of the general public.  

White's body of work at UB was great.  Good hires, got rid of that BS artist Quinn.  raised good money and pointed the athletics firmly in the right direction.  I do wish him/they could really do something about that awful football "stadium".  But I think it would/will be very difficult to ever get away from the constraints of that monstrosity.

That BS artist Quinn did recruit Tyree Jackson, and James O’Hagan tho.

that is definitely big for this year

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I hold out hope that if the Pegula's build a new stadium, UB could play there. As for UB Stadium, it was built as part of the '93 World University Games, hence the track. There was an idea out there of lowering the field, removing the track and adding another seating section that would bring the stands closer to the field. (the water table there might be an issue.) Otherwise it is what it is. I can't imagine the school building something new. They need every nickel to keep their coaches.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

22 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I hold out hope that if the Pegula's build a new stadium, UB could play there. As for UB Stadium, it was built as part of the '93 World University Games, hence the track. There was an idea out there of lowering the field, removing the track and adding another seating section that would bring the stands closer to the field. (the water table there might be an issue.) Otherwise it is what it is. I can't imagine the school building something new. They need every nickel to keep their coaches.

That is a bad idea.  If that happened, there would be even less atmosphere then there is now.  Think Temple at the Linc.   UB needs a stadium around 30K, and the fans right on top of the field.  Think of a high school stadium on steroids.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gordio said:

That is a bad idea.  If that happened, there would be even less atmosphere then there is now.  Think Temple at the Linc.   UB needs a stadium around 30K, and the fans right on top of the field.  Think of a high school stadium on steroids.  

I don't necessarily agree. I think if WNY football fans buy into UB football, there can be plenty of atmosphere. The school can't afford a new stadium and SUNY sure as heck isn't paying for one. So pick your poison.

13 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't necessarily agree. I think if WNY football fans buy into UB football, there can be plenty of atmosphere. The school can't afford a new stadium and SUNY sure as heck isn't paying for one. So pick your poison.

I think it has been proven that local fans really aren't interested in supporting UB football.  That could change if they ever get on a big stage like joining the Big 10 or something but I doubt that will ever happen.  Even if they upgraded to say the American Conference except for maybe the occasional showdown between S Florida or UCF where it national implications.(winner gets the new years 6 invite)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.