California wildfires

Jon in Pasadena

13 minutes ago, Fires said:

LOL... my son lives in Lenoir via New Jersey. He has an Italian last name (not the same as mine). I'm sure he can relate.     BTW, I laugh every time  I see Fabios commercials on TV and remember your story . :D

The board was fun back then. Now it's just a line of people wanting to gut the team with every incomplete pass. I blame the shut down of BBMB.

Your son is likely learning what I learned quickly: there are three kinds of people they don't like in that neck of the woods: Italians, people from the North, and Italians from the North.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

The board was fun back then. Now it's just a line of people wanting to gut the team with every incomplete pass. I blame the shut down of BBMB.

Your son is likely learning what I learned quickly: there are three kinds of people they don't like in that neck of the woods: Italians, people from the North, and Italians from the North.

Careful! You might get fired for a comment like that! 

18 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Add people from Florida to that list.... Fortunately I was born with a lot of Appalachian blood in me.. Even though my 15th Great grandmother was an Italian princess.  I spent several years in Central PA .  Appalachian country.  Met one of my neighbors in NC when I went down his no trespassing marked driveway on my 4 wheeler.  Belligerent at 1st but by the time I left he was offering shine and invited me back... LOL

30 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

The mountains of California topographically are similar.to the mountains of North Carolina.  Is that not understandable?

When I first saw the Smokies, I thought "Gee, these look just like the High Sierra!"

Or was it the Cascades? Those volcanoes are pretty sweet. 

Nah, that can't be it. I mean, there are dozens of mountain ranges in California, each very different than another. 

But yeah, let's go with that, they are "topographically similar". 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Oh yeah, kids have had inside recess, lunch, etc since Thursday.  They're all going stir crazy.   It doesn't smell smoky anymore but you can tell the air is dirty.

Your home should be spotless...teach them about the days of depression,when children went to bed soon after the sun set...candles were expensive. 

TV -off

Internet- off

Radio-PBS only

But I guess....that would be considered child abuse these days...

45 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Your home should be spotless...teach them about the days of depression,when children went to bed soon after the sun set...candles were expensive. 

TV -off

Internet- off

Radio-PBS only

But I guess....that would be considered child abuse these days...

And a transistor radio under the pillow to catch the Sabres playing on the West Coast!  ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

This is what perplexes me:

"With embers raining down in what Hawks likened to snowflakes in a blizzard, they sought shelter in a house and prepared to ride it out. One of the four paramedics was able to get in the home’s garage through a doggie door and unlock the door, and the four patients were moved inside, he said. There were also three nurses.

"What I told everyone: ‘We’re going to ride the fire out here and we need to protect this home,’ Hawks said Tuesday. "You know, this is our Fort Knox, basically."

Paramedics began clearing pine needles from around the home and from the gutter of the roof. If the house ended up catching fire, Hawk said they were prepared to enter the cul-de-sac which was an open area to ride out the fire."

You would think that people would stay on top of their house, morning noon and night living in fire country.  Why is there a build up of debris in gutters and around wooden structure.  Unless the pine needles just  accumulated?  

Simply, houses too embedded in the woods?

EDIT: Ambulance caught fire and they had to hunker down.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

8 hours ago, Just Jack said:

There's a thing now, called FireScaping, where what plants you have and how/where they are planted can help prevent your home from burning down....

http://www.unce.unr.edu/publications/files/ho/2001/fs0133.pdf

https://www.houselogic.com/by-room/yard-patio/landscaping-design-protects-home-from-wildfire/

That's always been a thing ??‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

That's always been a thing ??‍♂️

Yeah... Don't build a wooden structure in the woods. And IFF You do.  You maintain it.  Clear cut the trees, vegetation away. Puerto Rico caught flak for not maintaining... Why can't SoCal?

Honorable mention goes to:

1. Cape Cod House in Florida

Conversely:

2. Flat Roofed House in Cape Cod

3. Basemented House in Flood Zone

Conversely:

4. Non-Basemented House in Tornado Ally

Anyway... Stucco and tile roofs are a marvelous invention for a place like Malibu.  They have the do-re-me.

"Here come those Santa Ana winds again

We'll jog with show folk on the sand
Drink kirschwasser from a shell..."

I know people are dying, losing everything.  I am sympathetic.  But, they don't have to be dying, losing everything.  Especially the ones w/resources.

I'd like to see the structures that dodged this calamity... 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

16 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Popped inside.  And not filled with water.

Anyway... Nobody is addressing why they aren't clearing growth every 30-50 years.  If they rotated around, it's constant maintenance of new growth and clearing old growth.  I would rather spend the $$$$ that way then letting the forests go to pot and spend copious amounts on fire suppression.  The fires aren't helping global warming!  Vicious circle.

Why in last 30 years are we not clearing forests?

It's either that or stop the people from moving there!  With less people, let it go native and burn.  The many simply can't live there and let it go native.  Too much risk.

Why should other's in far away places bear the burden for the selfishness.

Let it burn and nobody move back.

You hit the nail on the head IMO.  That's the reason these fires turn into the apocalyptic infernos.  

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

You hit the nail on the head IMO.  That's the reason these fires turn into the apocalyptic infernos.  

Yet... Thy don't want to clear cut a plan.  It ruins the enviro hippies' "aesthetics."

They don't want to bring any economic value to that forest floor with regards to a natural resource, so they will let the wood dry out and combust.

The economic interest becomes zero not logging and focuses around aesthetic and natural habitat for God's critters.  Without good human stewardship, those perish in these volatile and cataclysmic events.

Just blame global warming.  The people in Bangor, Maine will rally around and help solve the California fire problem.

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

http://www.latimes.com/local/abcarian/la-me-abcarian-sonoma-fire-20171012-htmlstory.html

Girlfriend told me about this from a few years ago.

Couple survived in a swimming pool for 6 hours during fire.

There were several stories of people who survived the Napa/Sonoma fires last year that way.  Some of those fires exploded within minutes in the middle of the night.  People had literally minutes to react.  Not quite the same as blowing off hurricane warnings for a week.

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

There were several stories of people who survived the Napa/Sonoma fires last year that way.  Some of those fires exploded within minutes in the middle of the night.  People had literally minutes to react.  Not quite the same as blowing off hurricane warnings for a week.

Properly built homes for the location, geography & climate... Have no problems:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/mans-concrete-home-survives-raging-wildfire-washington/story?id=33286398

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/the-house-that-can-withstand-a-wildfire-300724958.html

art.kanwar.rk.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/06/11/green.building.material/index.html

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I'mma build my house out of fire. So when them fires comes i can't get no fire burning down my house because my house be all the fire.  Issa be hott.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

But an earthquake is another story. Tile roofs a no-no in  quake prone areas.

Edited by Wacka