California wildfires

Jon in Pasadena

1 hour ago, TheElectricCompany said:

LOL - yeah, still not even close. 

Just keep on digging bud. 

He is struggling mighty here. Anytime you wanna talk earth science be my guest. California and Carolina comparison.lol

6 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

He is struggling mighty here. Anytime you wanna talk earth science be my guest. California and Carolina comparison.lol

Um, try an actual refute instead of #feels.

10 minutes ago, Fires said:

I'm between Franklin and Highlands and my house is at 3500'. There's several 5-6000 ft mountains around. Wish I could find the video of the Pigeon Forge fire, it looked very similar to the one posted of people drIving through the fire. 

Where are ya?

27 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Oh yeah, kids have had inside recess, lunch, etc since Thursday.  They're all going stir crazy.   It doesn't smell smoky anymore but you can tell the air is dirty.

Is the caravan that close now?

3 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

They are mismanaging the forests.  The environmental regulations are oppressive in the State.  The population out of hand... People living deep and deeper in the danger zone.  Just like hurricanes and people seeking the sea, warm weather.  Just like people living in flood plains... Etc...

Funny thing is, the Feds that manage 60%.  The proactive $$$ is being spent being reactive.

If people want to live in these places, it's time THEY step off the environmental throttle and meet half way.  

6 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

There doesn't need to be an economic incentive. Harvesting wood would pulp and all of that is its own incentive. Not only that but the US has policy to dictate forestry management. There are a couple Federal forests in North Carolina and they do many controlled Burns. 

North Carolina has very similar topography to California and we get quite a bit of wildfires. But we manage our forests a hell of a lot better, and we don't have butthurts trying to interfere with nature at every turn

Just a wild guess but I imagine North Carolina gets a hell of  a lot more rain the California does.  

Edited by Gordio

15 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

And when one starts the embers blow for miles and start fires when no one expects so often the warnings come too late.

This is something that surprised and scared the hell out of me when we were evacuated a few years ago for fires. The wind would pull up embers, drop them on a house two miles away and you'd have a new hotspot in a matter of moments. 

We packed up what we could, I sent my wife and son and pets to a hotel away from the fires, and I stayed behind just to make sure we cleared as much as we could. When I pulled out of our cul de sac and up to the main road, the hill across the street was a giant fireball. I was convinced we were going to lose our house. Still not sure how we didn't.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

This is something that surprised and scared the hell out of me when we were evacuated a few years ago for fires. The wind would pull up embers, drop them on a house two miles away and you'd have a new hotspot in a matter of moments. 

We packed up what we could, I sent my wife and son and pets to a hotel away from the fires, and I stayed behind just to make sure we cleared as much as we could. When I pulled out of our cul de sac and up to the main road, the hill across the street was a giant fireball. I was convinced we were going to lose our house. Still not sure how we didn't.

When I used to work at the FD in Florida that happened to us several times. Neighboring county alms had one under control and strong winds hit. Next thing you know there's 100 homes on fire.

3 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Maggie Valley?

That's just north of me.  I'm off 64 near Cullasaja Gorge.

11 minutes ago, Fires said:

When I used to work at the FD in Florida that happened to us several times. Neighboring county alms had one under control and strong winds hit. Next thing you know there's 100 homes on fire.

I'm on 64, it's a mile away. I'm in Lexington.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Oh yeah, kids have had inside recess, lunch, etc since Thursday.  They're all going stir crazy.   It doesn't smell smoky anymore but you can tell the air is dirty.

Babies... Try hanging out in Lackawanna when Beth was going full tilt.  Okay, maybe Tuesdays were a good day to hang wash out.

3 hours ago, KD in CA said:

My kids are older, but parents w/ youngsters are going crazy not being able to send their kids to school here. We're 150 miles away from the Camp Fire, but the smoke is funneling down to our area. Air is thick w/ smoke but it doesn't smell as bad. At some point, they're going to have to go back. Air quality doesn't appear to be any better the rest of the week. No wind (which is good right now), but it doesn't help the air. 

1 hour ago, Fires said:

I spent three years in McDowell County, or as they say in North Carolina, MACDowell County.

Interesting place for an Italian from NY to start his career.

1 minute ago, Helpmenow said:

And Death Valley is similar to the piedmont. 

Popped inside.  And not filled with water.

Anyway... Nobody is addressing why they aren't clearing growth every 30-50 years.  If they rotated around, it's constant maintenance of new growth and clearing old growth.  I would rather spend the $$$$ that way then letting the forests go to pot and spend copious amounts on fire suppression.  The fires aren't helping global warming!  Vicious circle.

Why in last 30 years are we not clearing forests?

It's either that or stop the people from moving there!  With less people, let it go native and burn.  The many simply can't live there and let it go native.  Too much risk.

Why should other's in far away places bear the burden for the selfishness.

Let it burn and nobody move back.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Why in last 30 years are we not clearing forests?

This comes up all the time, and it's not going to happen. 

First, think about the scale. It's millions of acres annually that would need to be mitigated, and that's often in rough country.

Second, think about the cost. You want to fund this public money? Good luck. You think the timber companies are chomping at the bit to take out scrub brush, pine and aspen from rough country, and if they were, would we let them? 

Third, weather is simply too big of a variable outside of our control. The Santa Ana winds in CA are a perfect example. You can prepare all you'd like, but when someone throws a spark into a bone dry area with single digit humidity and 40 mph winds, it's going to burn. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany
  • Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

I spent three years in McDowell County, or as they say in North Carolina, MACDowell County.

Interesting place for an Italian from NY to start his career.

LOL... my son lives in Lenoir via New Jersey. He has an Italian last name (not the same as mine). I'm sure he can relate.     BTW, I laugh every time  I see Fabios commercials on TV and remember your story . :D

Edited by Fires

14 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

This comes up all the time, and it's not going to happen. 

First, think about the scale. It's millions of acres annually that would need to be mitigated, and that's often in rough country.

Second, think about the cost. You want to fund this public money? Good luck. You think the timber companies are chomping at the bit to take out scrub brush, pine and aspen from rough country, and if they were, would we let them? 

Third, weather is simply too big of a variable outside of our control. The Santa Ana winds in CA are a perfect example. You can prepare all you'd like, but when someone throws a spark into a bone dry area with single digit humidity and 40 mph winds, it's going to burn. 

Then live with fire or move.  It's nobody else's problem. People don't belong there.  Throttle development back.