Remember when we had an offense .......

Maine-iac

52 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

by the time the offense looks good the defense will decline. We just can't seem to have them both operate at the same level at the same time.

True, but the glaring discrepancy between the "O and "D" along with the horrible on field results hasn't been this bad in over 30 yrs.

Truly a team for the ages regarding an incompetence of being able to compete. The too frequent blowout losses are proof enough.

14 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

Well and interesting enough I've been thinking about that.  What does/did Tyrod do that Allen can't do?  Allen seems very capable of running RPO's and getting out of the pocket if need be.  I say that not so much because of the passing game but the running game.  How come our running game is SO bad.  It literally has to be coaching or discipline.  Taylor wasn't, as everyone says, a franchise QB.  Why can't Allen do what Taylor was doing?  Why can't we at the very least run the ball?  Again not asking as a knock on Allen.  Asking because I think we should be able to do more than 10 points per game and I think it's on coaching and use of personnel.  As far as Rex I was always critical of the fact that he didn't get the defense together but I feel like he ran a super complicated defense and with only two years he was somewhat handcuffed with the players he inherited ( Mario and the two safeties).  In particular I felt like he never got the back end of his defense sorted.

399 points in a season is top 5 in Bill's history.  Top ten in the NFL.  That is offense.  Try harder.

This offensive line could be one of the worst in Bills history, that would hurt any QB. Taylor rarely turned the ball over, that's a really big thing. Allen could still be a strong QB, not fair to judge him just yet. He has little talent around him and he's not fully prepared yet.

There's a new book out about the early days of the NFL, "The League: How Five Rivals Created the NFL and Launched an Empire." Looks like a good read. Here's a line from a review of the book:  "The pros routinely slogged away to scoreless ties in games dominated by running plays and drop kicked field goals. It was hard to throw the roundish ball, and when passes were allowed, they could only be thrown from at least 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage. In 1932, teams averaged 8 points a game."  The Bills are currently averaging 10.7 points per game, and trending downwards. We may hit 1932 levels yet!

EDIT: The Jets, hardly an offensive juggernaut with a rookie QB themselves, have scored more than double the points we've scored. We are really entering uncharted territory with this offense. It's actually difficult to be this inept offensively in the 2018 version of the NFL. But we're doing it.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

18 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

LOL.  I thought you were going to discuss the Superbowl years.

You know, when we had an offense that was so potent and innovative, it forced the Raiders to burn a TO while on defense in an AFC championship game.   They did that out of sheer confusion.  They were "tapping out" to stop the bludgeoning for a moment while they tried to figure out what the hell was going on.

I want to see THAT offense again some day before I die!

JK calling all of his own plays at the line in a hurry up mode was always special to behold because it was easier to jump all over a D on their heels that way and dictate your terms on them all the way to the end zone—I should’ve appreciated those days more in the moment because I had no idea it would be so difficult to replicate with successive generations!

You know, when we had an offense that was so potent and innovative, it forced the Raiders to burn a TO while on defense in an AFC championship game.   They did that out of sheer confusion.  They were "tapping out" to stop the bludgeoning for a moment while they tried to figure out what the hell was going on.

I’d settle for an even a Chan Gailey coached offense at this point 

I definitely didn’t think he was going to say anytime in the last decade lol

3 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

True, but the glaring discrepancy between the "O and "D" along with the horrible on field results hasn't been this bad in over 30 yrs.

Truly a team for the ages regarding an incompetence of being able to compete. The too frequent blowout losses are proof enough.

It is true that we are venturing into uncharted territory for bad offenses.

On 11/9/2018 at 4:57 PM, Maine-iac said:

Well and interesting enough I've been thinking about that.  What does/did Tyrod do that Allen can't do?  Allen seems very capable of running RPO's and getting out of the pocket if need be.  I say that not so much because of the passing game but the running game.  How come our running game is SO bad.  It literally has to be coaching or discipline.  Taylor wasn't, as everyone says, a franchise QB.  Why can't Allen do what Taylor was doing?  Why can't we at the very least run the ball?  Again not asking as a knock on Allen.  Asking because I think we should be able to do more than 10 points per game and I think it's on coaching and use of personnel.  As far as Rex I was always critical of the fact that he didn't get the defense together but I feel like he ran a super complicated defense and with only two years he was somewhat handcuffed with the players he inherited ( Mario and the two safeties).  In particular I felt like he never got the back end of his defense sorted.

The offensive line...every offense starts and stops with the offensive line. You need a good QB to make the passing game, but it all starts with the OL.

Board refreshed so apologies for the redundancy. I do wonder about the QB position, but I do think you'll see a difference in Allen's play with a more stout OL. Granted it won't solve all the issues, but it will hopefully give him more of the mindset to work within the pocket and find the open route.

Edited by ctk232