Remember when we had an offense .......

Maine-iac

LOL.  I thought you were going to discuss the Superbowl years.

You know, when we had an offense that was so potent and innovative, it forced the Raiders to burn a TO while on defense in an AFC championship game.   They did that out of sheer confusion.  They were "tapping out" to stop the bludgeoning for a moment while they tried to figure out what the hell was going on.

I want to see THAT offense again some day before I die!

• Like (+1) 1

Truth be told the 2016 Bill's offense scored in the top 5 offenses in team history.  Despite all the talk of fixing this position and that I still think it's a matter of getting a good coach on both sides of the ball.  Interesting chart that visually shows scoring vs defense for the last 20 years.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/teams/324/buffalo-bills/#Points per Game$SeasonMax=9999&SeasonMin=1990

14 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Truth be told the 2016 Bill's offense scored in the top 5 offenses in team history.  Despite all the talk of fixing this position and that I still think it's a matter of getting a good coach on both sides of the ball.  Interesting chart that visually shows scoring vs defense for the last 20 years.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/teams/324/buffalo-bills/#Points per Game$SeasonMax=9999&SeasonMin=1990

Problem was, Rex ruined the defense. Put our current defense with that offense and you might have a legit superbowl contender, even though Tyrod was still tyrod

9 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Problem was, Rex ruined the defense. Put our current defense with that offense and you might have a legit superbowl contender, even though Tyrod was still tyrod

Well and interesting enough I've been thinking about that.  What does/did Tyrod do that Allen can't do?  Allen seems very capable of running RPO's and getting out of the pocket if need be.  I say that not so much because of the passing game but the running game.  How come our running game is SO bad.  It literally has to be coaching or discipline.  Taylor wasn't, as everyone says, a franchise QB.  Why can't Allen do what Taylor was doing?  Why can't we at the very least run the ball?  Again not asking as a knock on Allen.  Asking because I think we should be able to do more than 10 points per game and I think it's on coaching and use of personnel.  As far as Rex I was always critical of the fact that he didn't get the defense together but I feel like he ran a super complicated defense and with only two years he was somewhat handcuffed with the players he inherited ( Mario and the two safeties).  In particular I felt like he never got the back end of his defense sorted.

1 minute ago, Boca BIlls said:

Lol one game wasnt offense

399 points in a season is top 5 in Bill's history.  Top ten in the NFL.  That is offense.  Try harder.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Well and interesting enough I've been thinking about that.  What does/did Tyrod do that Allen can't do?  Allen seems very capable of running RPO's and getting out of the pocket if need be.  I say that not so much because of the passing game but the running game.  How come our running game is SO bad.  It literally has to be coaching or discipline.  Taylor wasn't, as everyone says, a franchise QB.  Why can't Allen do what Taylor was doing?  Why can't we at the very least run the ball?  Again not asking as a knock on Allen.  Asking because I think we should be able to do more than 10 points per game and I think it's on coaching and use of personnel.  As far as Rex I was always critical of the fact that he didn't get the defense together but I feel like he ran a super complicated defense and with only two years he was somewhat handcuffed with the players he inherited ( Mario and the two safeties).  In particular I felt like he never got the back end of his defense sorted.

399 points in a season is top 5 in Bill's history.  Top ten in the NFL.  That is offense.  Try harder.

That particular o-line was much better at run blocking than our current one. The offensive scheme then was alot different. Allen can probably do more than Tyrod honestly, he just needs time. He's still young 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Bills have a horrible history with offense, try again.

3 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I like where our offense is now. 

45437924_650525085342634_3093227011263430656_n.jpg

20 minutes ago, Steptide said:

That particular o-line was much better at run blocking than our current one. The offensive scheme then was alot different. Allen can probably do more than Tyrod honestly, he just needs time. He's still young 

I definately think you are right.  I just think a better running game would help Allen as much as anything and that even with a line that isn't that line can do better.  The scheme is definately part of it but I also feel like we did a much better job of getting carries to the RB that was hot.  They were not afraid to get Karlos or Gillislee in there.  Maybe this offense is every bit the 10 ppg game they are currently scoring but somehow I feel like they could be a lot better.  We have 7 games left hopefully they put some things together.

1 hour ago, BillsRdue said:

My memory doesn't go that far back. Seems like eternity since the K-gun years. After that is was sporadic decent years, but never anything special or consistent.

Didn't we have a great year with  Bledsoe/Travis Henry/Moulds/Price ?  I think we had 2 1000-yard WRs that year.   I think we still finished 8-8!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Didn't we have a great year with  Bledsoe/Travis Henry/Moulds/Price ?  I think we had 2 1000-yard WRs that year.   I think we still finished 8-8!!!

Larry Centers and Riemersma as well.  That year the defense was giving up 24 plus points per game.  The next season we lost Price, Centers, and Riemersma and dropped to 15 ppg.  Two seasons later, still with Bledsoe, we had Moulds and Evans and scored almost 25 ppg and almost made the playoffs if it weren't for Willie Parker.  The chart shows it pretty well.  The offenses have been pretty up and down and the defenses have been mostly bad.  Before 2014 we had only scored more than was scored against us once since 2000.