Josh allen is mcbeans cam newton

Lafromboise

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Wish they had just stayed in Charlotte! 

Then maybe we could have hired someone with a grasp of offense, and maybe we wouldn't be bottoming out right now.

I'm no Cam Newton fan but comparing his overall game to Allen's is foolish.

They are both big athletic guys and can run, but the comparisons stops there.

Inaccurate with arm strength in spades. I don't know if you're saying they were totally different prospects but he looks like a nerfed clone of Newton to the tee. Just worse in every way. If he's as good as Cam I'll be through the moon. The draft looked like a clear attempt to build another Panthers team. Edmunds is Kuechly, Allen is Cam.. Christ I hope that works.

3 minutes ago, stuvian said:

I'm just fine with this.The Panthers are in the playoffs every other year

If you can clone their team sure. But these guys are never going to be the same formula.. we can't rebuild by cloning players.. maybe by draft strategy but if we're simply forcing the Edmunds and Allen pick to look like the 2014 Panthers, what if we're passing on Rodgers and Deion Branch clones. Totally different styles of play, both great. Horrible formula not to just draft the (what anybody believes) is best guy at the position rather than sticking to a rigid "we need a guy as similar to that as possible!"

But yeah it'd be cool if they turn into Cam& Kuechly 2.0

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

If I had to compare Josh to a current nfl player I think Im going with Big Ben

I agree but I think Allen is more athletic but Big Ben has better accuracy. If we put the same kind of weapons around Allen that Big Ben has I could see him having a good year next year. The Steelers O-Line might be the best in the NFL, they we getting so much push in the running game and their pass pro is very good. I would say we are two years away from getting to the Steelers level of talent with hopefully 2 good drafts and FA.

I think McDermott and Beane have higher hopes for Josh Allen than Cam Newton''s ceiling.  Yes, they are both big athletic guys, but I think Beane is hoping that Allen will eventually be better at reading defenses and distributing the ball than Newton.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I think McDermott and Beane have higher hopes for Josh Allen than Cam Newton''s ceiling.  Yes, they are both big athletic guys, but I think Beane is hoping that Allen will eventually be better at reading defenses and distributing the ball than Newton.

And there it is.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

If we're gambling it sounds like you're praying for the 1% chance Allen is better than an MVP quarterback and hoping he's not less than or equal to a MVP quarterback. Cut your losses and stop at "good god thank our lucky stars we have someone as good as Cam" because that's really damn hard to come by. And I'm speaking to McBeane if you're speaking for them.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Are we not supposed to be rooting for the kid to become really good?  Bunch of psychos.

Yeah! Cam! That's beyond really good. MVP caliber some might say

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Cam also put up one of the best rookie seasons ever. Allen has looked like a very raw rookie (which isn't unexpected) they only comparable they had are their big frames and insane arm strength. 

That being said Allen will be the starting QB next season, hopefully they massively upgrade the offensive talent and adjust the scheme to his strengths and mask his weaknesses. After seeing what he has in 2019 they will make a longer term decision on his future although no matter what he is going to get a shot to be the stater in 2020.

Cam did have a HOF receiver in one of his best years 1400 yards! But Cam's never had that again. Here's to JA getting half of Steve Smith Sr

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

5 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

Cam lit college football on fire, won the Heisman, and was OPOY of the SEC. 

Our guy was not even the best QB in the Mountain West. He better be dynamite next year, the clock is ticking. 

You're right, he only took a mediocre roster , put them on his back and made them relevant for the first time in a long while, got them to 2 bowl games and won 1 out of the 2, the program is now back to 4-6 without Allen in there. 

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

And there it is.

This stuff is just rampant lately

And of course if you ever call it out you're the REAL bad guy

But seriously somebody please point me to where someone ever said, say, Andy Dalton or Andrew Luck are "smart when they want to be" or "can't truly read defenses" when they occasionally struggle or make boneheaded plays

The common denominator is pretty glaring

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

If we're gambling it sounds like you're praying for the 1% chance Allen is better than an MVP quarterback and hoping he's not less than or equal to a MVP quarterback. Cut your losses and stop at "good god thank our lucky stars we have someone as good as Cam" because that's really damn hard to come by. And I'm speaking to McBeane if you're speaking for them.

These guys hear words and just regurgitate them. Allen has shown nothing as far as reading defenses and distributing the ball better. What does distributing the ball better even really mean? It's just some cliche. Does it mean passing to more receivers? Is it just flat out being more efficient? Distributing the ball could be defined a few different ways.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

These guys hear words and just regurgitate them. Allen has shown nothing as far as reading defenses and distributing the ball better. What does distributing the ball better even really mean? It's just some cliche. Does it mean passing to more receivers? Is it just flat out being more efficient? Distributing the ball could be defined a few different ways.

Are you kidding me with this.....Pot meet Kettle

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Lafromboise said:

You can tell they're similar. They are getting 2+ years here with allen. 

Excellent reason to start a new thread. Definitely couldn’t have made this thought in another thread. 

??‍♂️

13 hours ago, KzooMike said:

Actually, that article reinforces, to me,  their love affair with Peterman, rather a description of their dream QB or the one they ended selecting.

The intangibles are the other thing that you can't necessarily measure from the film. I can turn on the film and watch some things. You obviously want to see quarterbacks live, but what's this guy's makeup? What's his leadership? Do guys rally behind him? I go back to Carolina. Jake Delhomme, one of the greatest leaders I've ever been around. He was undrafted. The guy willed himself to lead the team the years he was in Carolina. His intangibles were a 12 on a one-to-10 scale. And that's how he overcame his athletic limitations. I kind of went around the question a little bit, but you're looking for a lot of things, some of it physically we can all see. But a lot of it you can't necessarily see." 

Cam was the more polished QB coming out of college. Their athletic traits are similar, but that's where the comparison really ends. Even in the short body of work you can see Allen's attitude is completely different. Allen also has an energy about him that carries over to this whole team that Cam doesn't have imo. He seems like more of a leader at 22 than Cam is as a seasoned vet. Allen still has a way to go with his reads, his footwork, and his understanding of NFL defenses. Hopefully he has the athletic traits similar to Cam, but works his a** off to get the other things to be second nature like Brees. It would be nice to finally have the QB position settled for the next 10+ years. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 1

Whether Josh has a higher ceiling than Cam is irrelevant.  There are two relevant questions here:

1. Is JA's ceiling higher than Rosen?  That was the choice in the draft.  People seem to forget Darnold and Mayfield were already gone.  

2. Is JA's ceiling higher than other QBs available in the 2019 draft when we pick in the top 5?  

I guess you could add Mahomes in there, but Beane wasn't even here yet, and we don't know how much say McD had in that draft.  And anyway, 10 other teams passed on Mahomes, including the Bears at #2 who took Trubisky as their franchise QB, and the Titans, who moved UP to take Corey Davis but left Mahomes on the table.