Did Maximum Overdrive (the movie) save AC/DC?

dpberr

Interesting take.  I hadn't heard this story.

I think in our Walking Dead era, this movie idea would do better today than it did in 1986.  As an aside, whatever happened to Emilo Estevez?  

https://www.dailylocal.com/arts_and_entertainment/rock-music-menu-film-that-revived-ac-dc-s-career/article_768085f9-d273-574d-8285-03bb790ccf3f.html

To this day, they have never released a greatest hits or best of compilation, sticking to the stance that they didn’t want to resell material to their fans.

Heck, they've been reselling Back in Black for the past 35 years, just under different album names. Even Angus admits that:

"I'm sick of people saying we've made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we've made 12 albums that sound exactly the same."

Edited by WhoTom
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 11/9/2018 at 3:44 PM, WhoTom said:

Heck, they've been reselling Back in Black for the past 35 years, just under different album names. Even Angus admits that:

"I'm sick of people saying we've made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we've made 12 albums that sound exactly the same."

Gotta agree with Angus on this. 

My wife became friends with Brian Johnson’s wife, so we all got together regularly for a few years (when they weren’t on tour). Great folks, and even Brian showed he was tired of the same old stuff. Who wouldn’t be? How often can the Stones be fired up about doing Some Girls? At home he loved the Beatles, and working on his opera. 

37 minutes ago, Augie said:

My wife became friends with Brian Johnson’s wife, so we all got together regularly for a few years (when they weren’t on tour). Great folks, and even Brian showed he was tired of the same old stuff. Who wouldn’t be? How often can the Stones be fired up about doing Some Girls? At home he loved the Beatles, and working on his opera. 

how was his hearing?

1 minute ago, stuvian said:

how was his hearing?

Until then, it was fine. They swear it’s from their car racing obsession. We were there for dinner one night and they kept bragging (humorously in retrospect) about their new Harley. After dinner we went down to the garage to see a little scooter , some antique Harley they had purchased. Funny as hell!  But the committed nature to racing was the huge mural painted on the garage walls. It was very cool. 

Great people! We had some bad family stuff in January and they were on the other side of the world, and my wife heard from them early and often. Some of my funniest stories come from our time with them! 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I saw them for the first and only time from the third row in 2009.  He really seemed bored with the whole thing.  He never once acknowledged where he was.  And, his introductions to the songs were mainly "Here's one for ya!"  LOL

3 minutes ago, bbb said:

I saw them for the first and only time from the third row in 2009.  He really seemed bored with the whole thing.  He never once acknowledged where he was.  And, his introductions to the songs were mainly "Here's one for ya!"  LOL

I wouldn’t judge my experience by whether he said “hello Youngstown!” 

But maybe that’s just me. 

Big picture: it seems to have worked alright for him. I promise. 

14 hours ago, Augie said:

You say he was bored with all the old stuff.

I give an example of when he seemed bored.

You come back at me? 

55 minutes ago, bbb said:

You come back at me? 

Sorry, I communicated poorly there. That’s was not my intent. I get it. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

One of my favorite movies from childhood (I was born in 86)

I saw this on thanksgiving on TV when I was about 8 years old and it launched a lifelong addiction to horror movies and Stephen King/Dean Koontz books.

Furthermore, I really enjoy AC/DC, so if the movie had an impact on the longevity or popularity of them then that's great.

On a sidenote, what the hell happened to Emilio? A few great movies in the 80's (and Young Guns), and then just disappeared. I wonder if he had made the switch (like Charlie), his career would be different?

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:24 PM, bbb said:

You come back at me? 

You gonna take that?  Hes disrespecting you.  Unless you shiv that mofo the whole board is gonna think you're soft!!

On 11/11/2018 at 1:24 PM, bbb said:

You come back at me? 

Dude, you got hoodwinked by the old, "Augie Bait and Switch."

He does it all the time.  There's only one way to get him to stop.  Listen to Jauronimo .....

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

You gonna take that?  Hes disrespecting you.  Unless you shiv that mofo the whole board is gonna think you're soft!!

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

He does it all the time.  There's only one way to get him to stop.  Listen to Jauronimo .....

You guys are onto me! But I wear the right colors, so I’m feeling safe in my ‘hood. Even the guy who walks his cat (I wish I was kidding) has MY back! Cross me and they will throw their dirty Depends at you! (Their arms are shot, so there’s not much to worry about beyond about 10 feet.) 

If it ain't broke...

On 11/10/2018 at 9:42 PM, Augie said:

Until then, it was fine. They swear it’s from their car racing obsession. We were there for dinner one night and they kept bragging (humorously in retrospect) about their new Harley. After dinner we went down to the garage to see a little scooter , some antique Harley they had purchased. Funny as hell!  But the committed nature to racing was the huge mural painted on the garage walls. It was very cool. 

Great people! We had some bad family stuff in January and they were on the other side of the world, and my wife heard from them early and often. Some of my funniest stories come from our time with them! 

Didn't their drummer kill somebody or something ?

6 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Didn't their drummer kill somebody or something ?

I think one of the reasons we were “accepted” into this little crowd was because  we had little interest in or knowledge of their band or those of the people they hung out with. I had friends who were wanna be musicians who begged to be invited to things, but it just would have messed things up. But yeah, there was something there I think.....don’t recall any details. 

17 hours ago, Gugny said:

I see he keeps trying it.  Saying stuff like "Peterman was probably not the best quarterback in Bills history" and "I think Shady had his best game of the season Sunday" trying to get me to agree.........................I'm not biting! 

On 11/10/2018 at 9:27 PM, Augie said:

I saw them on the most recent tour. Second last show Brian did.They didn't do The Jack, or the little "strip tease" thing. Brian didn't hang from the bell. I'm sure that's all from age. However, during Hell's Bells, he wore a cowboy hat. He also seemed to put a little more emphesis on the word "Texas" which is where I saw the show. Overall it was great. Seems that they're done now that Malcom is gone, Phil Rudd has his legal issues, and Brian with his hearing issues.

Angus seems to have the same energy. I read rumors that him and Axl may form some sort super group thing. I'd go see Angus solo live, especially if he delved more into the bluesier side of things. 

29 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I saw them on the most recent tour. Second last show Brian did.They didn't do The Jack, or the little "strip tease" thing. Brian didn't hang from the bell. I'm sure that's all from age. However, during Hell's Bells, he wore a cowboy hat. He also seemed to put a little more emphesis on the word "Texas" which is where I saw the show. Overall it was great. Seems that they're done now that Malcom is gone, Phil Rudd has his legal issues, and Brian with his hearing issues.

Angus seems to have the same energy. I read rumors that him and Axl may form some sort super group thing. I'd go see Angus solo live, especially if he delved more into the bluesier side of things. 

It’s funny, I’d hear them talking about all those guys, and I had no idea who they were. That’s why I could never invite my beggar friends because they’d ruin everything like school girls screaming at the Beatles!

It really was a fun phase. It would be so cool when your over there for dinner with all these people and a friggin concert would break out. I forget who they all were, but Duck Dunn (Booker T & the MG,s, Blues Brothers, etc. bass player) and his wife June were awesome people!  He passed away 5-10 years while touring in Japan I think. Some guy from Foreigner was a regular, but again I never knew who they all were. But then Mustang Sally would break out and you wonder how this is possible!

I remember talking to Duck after they were all talking some recording studio around Miami where he recorded some stuff with Eric Clapton. I asked which album and he had no idea. “I just know the music”. HA! Interesting tidbit: he said Clapton would send you the music and every note was just as you were to play it. Exactly! Neil Young would send the music and say “but ya know, however you feel it is cool.”

At Brenda’s (Brian’s wife) birthday party one year they rented a private room at a great waterfront restaurant and brought in some band from Orlando, a couple hours away. After countless beverages, one by one Brian and Duck and who knows who else gets up and says, “hey, can I borrow your guitar?”, “mind if I sit in on the drums?”, etc. Eventually I’m sitting with the guys from the Orlando band who are saying “this is INSANE! I’d pay good money to hear these R&R HOF guys play, but they are paying US to sit here and listen!”  They really were cool times. 

And they are genuinely great people! 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

It’s funny, I’d hear them talking about all those guys, and I had no idea who they were. That’s why I could never invite my beggar friends because they’d ruin everything like school girls screaming at the Beatles!

It really was a fun phase. It would be so cool when your over there for dinner with all these people and a friggin concert would break out. I forget who they all were, but Duck Dunn (Booker T & the MG,s, Blues Brothers, etc. bass player) and his wife June were awesome people!  He passed away 5-10 years while touring in Japan I think. Some guy from Foreigner was a regular, but again I never knew who they all were. But then Mustang Sally would break out and you wonder how this is possible!

I remember talking to Duck after they were all talking some recording studio around Miami where he recorded some stuff with Eric Clapton. I asked which album and he had no idea. “I just know the music”. HA! Interesting tidbit: he said Clapton would send you the music and every note was just as you were to play it. Exactly! Neil Young would send the music and say “but ya know, however you feel it is cool.”

At Brenda’s (Brian’s wife) birthday party one year they rented a private room at a great waterfront restaurant and brought in some band from Orlando, a couple hours away. After countless beverages, one by one Brian and Duck and who knows who else gets up and says, “hey, can I borrow your guitar?”, “mind if I sit in on the drums?”, etc. Eventually I’m sitting with the guys from the Orlando band who are saying “this is INSANE! I’d pay good money to hear these R&R HOF guys play, but they are paying US to sit here and listen!”  They really were cool times. 

And they are genuinely great people! 

I know a guy who's in an AC/DC tribute band, and they brought him in for an audition after Brian had to leave. Said he played a whole set, Angus came out while he was having a smoke break and told him he was great, and wanted to do a few more songs with him in the studio with them. Of course they'll already played "Back in Black," "Highway to Hell" etc, all the hits. I can't remember what song it was, but one of the more obscure ones. Angus replied "How the f--- do you think I remember that one?" 

Met a Britsh guy at a bar one. Happened to have an AC/DC shirt on so we chatted for a while. Said he used to go to this weekly open mic at some suburban pub back in England. About once a month Clapton would come in and just participate like anybody else. Apparetnly it was the only place in town, and Clapton had a home there, so everybody was used to him being there and didn't gawk over it.

• Like (+1) 1