Brandon Beane: "As Long as I'm in Charge, We're Never Tanking"

I appreciate his explanation of the business side of football operations with the contracts.  Makes sense to me.  I can buy that 2018 was a season to get out of contract hell.  

The question that wasn't asked was why go all in on Nate Peterman in preseason and then double down on the decision with keeping him in the lineup after Baltimore.

That's the crux of the fail this year IMO.  

• Like (+1) 2

A: “It’s not an easy move. You’re trying to make the best decision for your team. A.J. came here to be the starter, and we were great with that, but you try to have the best competition you can through practice and preseason games. Unfortunately, in preseason you may only have four of the 11 starters on the field, they might be playing vanilla and not showing anything on defense. The lesson here to me is you don’t want to (ever) be in a spot where you have a three-quarterback battle.’’

How in God's name does this answer not scare the hell out of Bills fans? No. The lesson is that you need A) good quarterbacks, and B) coach's able to properly evaluate talent.

This fool is really trying to blame their collective incompetence on competition!

That is beyond the pale. This guy has absolutely no idea what he's doing.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They gave up a couple draft picks and Glenn to get Allen. And they still kept their other first rounder. I wouldn't say that's a tank. 

They didn't know what position they'd be in when they started making trades last offseason. The trades for Sammy and Darby were part of the same plan as trading Glenn. They knew this season would be tough, that's why they're getting all the dead cap out of the way now. There have been missteps along the way, no doubt, but everything is going according to the plan. Next year is phase 3 and there won't be any excuses if the offense still stinks.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

They didn't know what position they'd be in when they started making trades last offseason. The trades for Sammy and Darby were part of the same plan as trading Glenn. They knew this season would be tough, that's why they're getting all the dead cap out of the way now. There have been missteps along the way, no doubt, but everything is going according to the plan. Next year is phase 3 and there won't be any excuses if the offense still stinks.

I completely agree. Next year there will be no excuses by McBean. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

In other words: "We just suck."  :lol:

Why is he saying this now?! Tank is his only out "this is the best possible offense I can cobble together in an offseason, worst in NFL history.. but ***** I tried my hardest"

If this is Beane not tanking and building his best team to win year after year in a regular.. then... Well he really shouldn't say that he tried to win this year lol

• Like (+1) 3

It is kind of a scary thought.  That they're not trying to suck, yet sucking this bad.    Sooooo this is your idea of winning football?   You might find yourself unemployed if it continues.   

2018 is a tire fire.   2019 has to show improvement, and 2020 we have to contend.  There are no other acceptable scenarios where McD and Beane keep their jobs. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They gave up a couple draft picks and Glenn to get Allen. And they still kept their other first rounder. I wouldn't say that's a tank. 

They've just been pretty bad at evaluating the talent they inherited as well as talent around the league. The reason they are terrible on the offensive side of the football and thus a bad team.

Agree.  They tried to  play the same "money ball" style football that Brandon and Whaley practiced, but they're too incompetent at personnel evaluation -- both players and coaches -- to come close to even typical Bills mediocrity when they have to depend upon their own people.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Bull manure.  The only "plan" in trading away Watkins, Darby, and Glenn was to a) get rid of players that McDermott didn't want or b) cut current salary regardless of the impact on the team.   Most of McDermott's and Beane's personnel moves have been serious errors in player evaluations rather than "missteps".

Well.  This negates an awful lot of posts from the kool aid drinkers around here.

They're going to start choking on their Kool-Aid.

This also means everyone's favorite radio host, Mike Schopp, has been right in consistently maintaining that the Bills are NOT trying to tank and that things have just gone horrible wrong.

LMAO.

56 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

whats the difference between tanking and "growth mode"???just semantics..

they knew they were going to lose this year...but that does not mean they wanted to I guess. The Sabres WANTED to lose.

No, that's not fair IMO.

Either they are tanking or they are not, and Beane seems to think they are not tanking.

In this context, "Tank" should be interpreted loosely, meaning if they did not do everything in their power to be as good as they can be this year, they are tanking.

• Like (+1) 2