Brandon Beane: "As Long as I'm in Charge, We're Never Tanking"

He's lying through his teeth. Do you expect him to tell us he gutted our entire offense, cut and traded our good players and expected this not to be a horrific year? He knew. It's all about money though. No fans would go to the games or watch on TV if they knew it was a tank. He just cannot come out and say it openly otherwise Pegs would bitchsmack him so hard his 1990s pilot glasses would fly off his face.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

He's lying through his teeth. Do you expect him to tell us he gutted our entire offense, cut and traded our good players and expected this not to be a horrific year? He knew. It's all about money though. No fans would go to the games or watch on TV if they knew it was a tank. He just cannot come out and say it openly otherwise Pegs would bitchsmack him so hard his 1990s pilot glasses would fly off his face.

If he's lying through his teeth, what are the Bills tanking for? A DE? OL? DB? They already have their QB. There was no reason for a tank is why I think this is ineptitude at it's finest!

7 hours ago, twoandfourteen said:

Passing yards & lots of points are what consistently wins in the modern NFL. Speed kills. 

Yet, these two clowns continue to talk about "field position" & "the weather" & "establish the run".

This is spot on.

Two guys from Carolina (Mike Schopp’s point) telling “blue collar” Buffalo how important running in the snow is.

Their WR acquisitions are nearly all older possession guys with no vertical speed. 

They had had to have to the rocket armed QB, so in 2019 Brandon gets cash in, let’s see if they build an offense that attacks vertical. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, pop gun said:

If he's lying through his teeth, what are the Bills tanking for? A DE? OL? DB? They already have their QB. There was no reason for a tank is why I think this is ineptitude at it's finest!

Ok if he isnt tanking then he is incompetent. Which is worse?

• Like (+1) 1

Beane at least has a plan and a methodology for raising us from the dead. That's something we haven't had since the glory days. We have a very good candidate for franchise QB on the roster. We have a solid D. We're in year 2 of a 4 year plan. 

The product on the field and the secondary market value for our tickets hurts me deeply as a 15 years season ticket holder but I still think Beane and McDermott were good hires. 

Watching more bad football as the plan unfolds is very tough after what this fan base has been through. I won't judge the regime until year 4

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

It's absolutely not a tank. 

Who are they tanking for? They got their QB last year.

They better hope they got their QB last year. And if this isn’t a tank they suck. They made the playoffs and got their guy. This would make the whole tank/rebuild the charade it is. 

2 hours ago, pop gun said:

Well, it's not just about that first pick, it's about having high picks in every single round. Defense is done, now it's time to fill in the vacuum on offense. At least I hope that's the plan and if it is I'm ok with it. Maybe my definition of tank is different than yours (and Beane's).

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Well, it's not just about that first pick, it's about having high picks in every single round. Defense is done, now it's time to fill in the vacuum on offense. At least I hope that's the plan and if it is I'm ok with it. Maybe my definition of tank is different than yours (and Beane's).

Would any of that guarantee that the best player will be selected in each round?  Nope! There is no tank. 

9 hours ago, twoandfourteen said:

Exactly. 

People are upset because this coach & GM set off on a backwards plan to build around a defense & outdated running game first, rather than use all of their assets and capital to assemble a cutting-edge, high-octane offense that can make a team an actual contender. That should have been the priority from day 1.

Passing yards & lots of points are what consistently wins in the modern NFL. Speed kills. 

Yet, these two clowns continue to talk about "field position" & "the weather" & "establish the run".

Well, even if you're talking about building a running game first, um...they were handed the NFL's best running game when they took over.

-A running game that averaged over 5 yards per carry, despite being at the top of the NFL in attempts;

-A running game that scored 29 TDs;

-A running game in which the left side of the OL was leading the league in yards before contact;

-A running game that produced a whopping 27 TDs.

So if that was their goal...um...I'm not sure what needed to be "rebuilt" or why they think they were going to improve it. I mean damn, they could have found an old playbook laying around from the last guy. A classic case of fixing what isn't broken.

To be honest, I think that deep down, there was an attitude of "all we have to do is give the ball to Shady" thing going on in their heads. Too bad it isn't that easy.

Going forward, his interview gave me the same feeling as I just stated with the running game, a gross oversimplification of the problem. When asked about the depth of the offense's production, his response was basically "What do you expect, we're starting a young QB!  Look at other teams with young QB's!"

Well I hate to tell you this lil guy, but the offense has problems that go far beyond QB. And if you think its just a matter of giving him more experience, you're sadly mistaken. You've created an offense where an Andy Reid or Bill Walsh would have difficulty in putting back together. 

And considering after 2 years, you haven't improved a single position on the offense (Allen is an unknown at present), and have made most worse...much worse in some cases, I don't have high hopes for the future.

Well, at least they aren't heart surgeons attempting their first heart transplant. No one is going to die at least.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

22 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

I believe it. You always try to win; your job depends on it. They just might not be very good at it. 

...OF COURSE......but is it remotely feasible or consciously possible that a GM with a scout staff of 17+(probably $4mil+ payroll on Pegula's nickel), significantly comprised of many exec level NFL personnel, could whiff this badly and essentially field 26 empty suits you're paying $75 mil?.......sure Wood retired and Richie's main spring popped.....so why use Glenn as trade bait to move up if the OL is rock solid?....he has started all 8 Bengals games and Dalton has been sacked 16 times.....62 years combined WR coaching experience and we have guys that can't run routes?......Culley, Castillo and Crosman still "coaching (COUGH)"?............Jesus, feel like I'm watching O'Rouke and "F Troop".....this is really "competitively trying to win"?.....it's Rosey O'Donnell ugly IMO............

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think the whole thing is ego driven and a bit of a stubborn mentality on top of it. Specifically McDermott.

They wanted to rebuild it there way no matter what. They treated the team they inherited like everything was wrong. 

They tore down EVERYTHING the previous regime did well for no reason. It's not surprising though when an inexperienced owner hires an inexperienced DC to run every aspect of its football team. Blind leading the blind.

I agree with the ego driven attitude, and going forward with the offense expect a Rex Ryan "fully pregnant" plan.

*hearing strains of Sinatra singing My Way.

I'd have no problem with them bringing in an offensive mind to engineer this silly rebuild of the offense. In fact, I'd applaud them.

I just don't see it happening.

• Like (+1) 1

They are trying to win with a huge handicap of dead space and too many holes especially on the offense. We can't just go out and spend a ton of money on free agents to sure up the line. We don't have the cap space. This isn't all on coach and GM now if this persists into next year we need to question their competency. As of right now I understand the growing pains and foresaw this coming. It's no surprise when they had to patch a line and WR core together with insufficient funds that they suck. Adding Pryor may or may not pay off he has flashed at times and disappeared in others. 

13 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

Keeping Tyrod would have been way more costly in cap space! They would have had nothing for free agents. It's like you want to find any reason to bash Beane 

And if Allen and Edmunds become great, it will have been super wise moves. If they bust or are gone within a  few years,  quite the costly gambles. But I like that they go for broke and aim high, staking their jobs on it, rather then playing safe with 8-8 seasons. People bitched and moaned about that, and now it's all about having used to much picks for potential stars! At least they have guts. 

Keeping Taylor would have given the Bills a real NFL caliber QB!  It would have given Allen a real opportunity to sit and learn and to get some first hand advice from a veteran QB who has had some recent success in the NFL.   Furthermore, the Bills would not have had to pay for the failed experiment of AJ McCarronl, and Peterman could have been sent to the PS where he might have actually developed a tiny bit of competence so that he's not a turn over waiting to happen every time he comes into a game.

What if Allen and Edmunds don't become great?   The chances of both becoming "great" are between slim and none.  Half of first round QBs other than the guys taken #1, either bust outright (Ryan Leaf, JP Losman, EJ Manuel etc) or are disappointments (Ryan Tannehill, Blake Bortles, Jameis Winston).  Numerous non-QB first round picks don't ever live up to their first round draft position for various reasons, including sustaining serious injuries.   Both Allen and Edmunds are projects which makes them even riskier than most first round draft picks, Allen more so than Edmunds because he's a much bigger project.

16 hours ago, twoandfourteen said:

Exactly. 

People are upset because this coach & GM set off on a backwards plan to build around a defense & outdated running game first, rather than use all of their assets and capital to assemble a cutting-edge, high-octane offense that can make a team an actual contender. That should have been the priority from day 1.

Its utterly hilarious that you and some others are utterly oblivious to the fact that BOTH Beane and McD on MANY occasions have said how important a strong passing game is.  Even more baffling that you guys are so blind, deaf, or something that you can’t see they had ONE DRAFT together and addressed the most important position first and have not yet begun the offensive rebuild outside of the QB yet.

Your post is so out of whack with reality 

On 11/9/2018 at 10:17 AM, ScottLaw said:

It's absolutely not a tank. 

Who are they tanking for? They got their QB last year.

Ohh no? Hey let's put in Barkley who's been here 4 minutes with a dumbed down game plan for Sunday against a decent jets D. Yep looks like all out effort to me for sure.