Brandon Beane: "As Long as I'm in Charge, We're Never Tanking"

3 hours ago, Bangarang said:

This is McD and BB trying to be good? They’re not doing a very good job then.

No, this is them building for the future.  The cost of that was not being able to field a better team THIS year.

Its mind boggling how hard it is for this board to cope with that.  I mean everyone here wanted Beane to trade practically our whole draft to get a QB, he did it for a fraction of that and still landed what looks like a future star in Edmunds.  Yet people are upset he didn’t magically find 3 WRs and 3 OL plus a TE at the same time.  

We had a ton of dead cap space to clear it out,  the very thing he said he was gonna do first and need 2 years to do.  He did it quicker than he said and now this team has a strong D and is able to focus on rebuilding the offense this next year now that they have the QB they want to build it with.  

Too many people can seem to differentiate between building a team and fielding a team.  Beane will never intentionally lose, but that doesn’t mean he didn’t make decisions that would make it harder to win short term to be in better position to win long term.  

Tanking means intending to lose.  McD and Beane go out there to win, even if it’s not likely.  They aren’t trying to lose.  But the after math of clearing out contracts and trading up twice in the first round to get cornerstone prospects is that it meant not addressing other needs this season and would make this season tougher to win games.  Add in some injury bad luck with Josh and it’s gotten tougher. 

The offensive rebuild starts this offseason and then we will see how well they are progressing.  Amazes me how much of the board is so out of touch with what’s really gone down.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Define "most." I would argue their only 2 real missteps so far have been trading up for Zay and trading for Kelvin Benjamin. If you want to include the backup QB as another misstep, sure. For many of their moves the evaluation is still ongoing. On the flip side they've rebuilt the defense to be top 5 in the NFL and drafted the hopeful franchise QB. A lot of this regime's future is tied to Josh Allen. They will go as he goes.

Don't be ridiculous.

The missteps started with declining the Watkins option........then some passes on their own players in FA........and the huge misstep...... not fixing the QB problem RIGHT THEN AND THERE when Patrick Mahomes OR DeShaun Watson fell right in their goddamn lap.

It's snowballed from there.

Add Mahomes and Watkins and Glenn to this offense and THAT ALONE makes this a much better team.

Here's the thing...........they can still turn this around..........but they need Allen to play great and they most likely need two more offseasons to construct what?  A potentially Marvin Lewis-level regime?

They've put too many eggs in this offseasons basket............which is an inexcusable position for them to be in.

They didn't inherit a ***** expansion team roster on offense they've just turned it into one.

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

I can’t decide who’s face I dislike more, Beane or McD.

I wonder, if you used one of those cheesy face morphing software's, if you'd hate the resultant face more or less than the original two...

I think, out of the 3 I'd hate McClappity the most. 

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No, this is them building for the future.  The cost of that was not being able to field a better team THIS year.

Its mind boggling how hard it is for this board to cope with that.  I mean everyone here wanted Beane to trade practically our whole draft to get a QB, he did it for a fraction of that and still landed what looks like a future star in Edmunds.  Yet people are upset he didn’t magically find 3 WRs and 3 OL plus a TE at the same time.  

We had a ton of dead cap space to clear it out,  the very thing he said he was gonna do first and need 2 years to do.  He did it quicker than he said and now this team has a strong D and is able to focus on rebuilding the offense this next year now that they have the QB they want to build it with.  

Too many people can seem to differentiate between building a team and fielding a team.  Beane will never intentionally lose, but that doesn’t mean he didn’t make decisions that would make it harder to win short term to be in better position to win long term.  

Tanking means intending to lose.  McD and Beane go out there to win, even if it’s not likely.  They aren’t trying to lose.  But the after math of clearing out contracts and trading up twice in the first round to get cornerstone prospects is that it meant not addressing other needs this season and would make this season tougher to win games.  Add in some injury bad luck with Josh and it’s gotten tougher. 

The offensive rebuild starts this offseason and then we will see how well they are progressing.  Amazes me how much of the board is so out of touch with what’s really gone down.  

...nicely done 'Dawg.......very fair assessment....we're at 2-7.....OR.....two W's away from the 4-12 prognosticators nailing it or 3 away from the 5-11 crowd......so we're on track and despite being on track, the "we suck" bi-polarisms are trumpeted loud....SMH.......

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Didn't you read his answers?

The problem wasn't Peterman. It was the competition itself.

He's essentially saying they were fooled by Peterman's preseason performance, while the rest of the football world saw it for the sham that it was.

I'm no front office football executive but I would have been wary enough of an interception prone QB to have a solid backup plan in case things went awry.  

They should have planned for it going awry.  It's good to have faith but that's blind faith IMO.  

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Why is he saying this now?! Tank is his only out "this is the best possible offense I can cobble together in an offseason, worst in NFL history.. but ***** I tried my hardest"

If this is Beane not tanking and building his best team to win year after year in a regular.. then... Well he really shouldn't say that he tried to win this year lol

I'm skeptical on both Beane and McD, more so the latter, but I'm also realistically seeing where this goes. Not an attempt to defend either here, more so just logic.

To answer your question, it's because he's declared to be in a rebuild as early as April 2018. A rebuild is different from a tank, and no you can't assemble an offense in one offseason much less rebuild one in a single offseason, even with resources. Doesn't mean it has to be this bad by any means, but you're missing on a few key analogous points there.

Pure 100% speculation heads up: the only reason he won't own up to a "tank," nor any team for that matter, is because the league will "investigate" them for not competing/throwing games, and cause a circus that is frankly just not needed. He also does not need to be accountable to the fans who want him to say what they want.

Edited by ctk232

13 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

I'm skeptical on both Beane and McD, more so the latter, but I'm also realistically seeing where this goes. Not an attempt to defend either here, more so just logic.

To answer your question, it's because he's declared to be in a rebuild as early as April 2018. A rebuild is different from a tank, and no you can't assemble an offense in one offseason much less rebuild one in a single offseason, even with resources. Doesn't mean it has to be this bad by any means, but you're missing on a few key analogous points there.

Pure 100% speculation heads up: the only reason he won't own up to a "tank," nor any team for that matter, is because the league will "investigate" them for not competing/throwing games, and cause a circus that is frankly just not needed. He also does not need to be accountable to the fans who want him to say what they want.

It's just equally funny and dumb to say. I'm not holding him accountable, the games do that. I'm saying it's a stupid answer: for his sake, not mine. He can hold himself accountable if he's hurting his budding career.

"As long as I'm in charge I will never tank [on purpose]" the reporter messed up the context of the quote.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

1 hour ago, buffalobillswin said:

Well if this isn't tanking then it's proof that the GM is utterly incompetent at his job. I'd rather he admit to tanking. 

That is where you see the agenda's in this thread like Bado

He is not admitting to the tank....so therefore he must be a bad GM

Like ANY GM is EVER going to admit to a tank

46 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

That's where you're wrong. 

I've paid very close attention to what this McD guy is "about." 

He's ABOUT to be out of a job unless they have the offseason of the century.

Awesome.  Care to enlighten me to what he’s all about master?

25 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Not purposely tanking that is. Not sure what's worse, being successful in trying to suck or being a failure at trying to succeed.

..it gets pathetically laughable....."tanking" for a top 5 pick yet the TBD masses are screaming for McBeane and McDermott to be fired....so who makes the pick?....Yolanda Vega?...Rockpile Beerman pulls a name outta Pegula's top hat?.....maybe Doug Whaley as a "guest picker"?......a TBD sleuth?.....

1 hour ago, PeterDude said:

I wonder, if you used one of those cheesy face morphing software's, if you'd hate the resultant face more or less than the original two...

I think, out of the 3 I'd hate McClappity the most. 

quick mix;

546FC966-D5B0-4C14-A91E-8E91C68C2BAC.jpeg

2 hours ago, CodeMonkey said:

In the holy name of *****, there has never been, and will never be, a GM that admits to a tank.  

Of course.

They were not in tank mode to start the off season.

AJM totally disappointed and it was pretty apparent they didn't want to start JA right out of the gate.

That left Nate and he proved once again he can't play real games.

With the QB position in shambles and after JA got hurt...........................now it's a tank.

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

Of course.

They were not in tank mode to start the off season.

AJM totally disappointed and it was pretty apparent they didn't want to start JA right out of the gate.

That left Nate and he proved once again he can't play real games.

With the QB position in shambles and after JA got hurt...........................now it's a tank.

Tank for what player? ;)

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

So they needed to trade those players to draft a QB? Completely disagree. 

No in hindsight they didn't need to. But of course we didn't know that last year. This regime decided right away they'd be going all out for a QB in 2019 and every move they made was in service of that plan. All their dead cap is off the books next year. This is the last year where they have fair excuses for losing. And sure if they had made every move exactly right we would be in a better spot right now. But I don't blame them for passing on a QB last year or casting away players to gather draft picks. I blame them for the receiver situation and that's about it. A lot of their moves have been great. I'm okay with a couple stinkers and a bad rebuilding year. Next year they'll have to prove their plan is working.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

not fixing the QB problem RIGHT THEN AND THERE when Patrick Mahomes OR DeShaun Watson fell right in their goddamn lap.

So who do you fire for passing on Mahomes and Watson? The defensive minded head coach who was here for all of 3 months before that draft? Or the GM that hadn't been hired yet? There was zero chance we were drafting a QB high last year. Call it bad timing. Blame Pegula if you want for not having a more stable situation in place. But McDermott and Beane can't be held accountable for that.