Matt Barkley Will Be the Bills' Starter vs. the NYJ

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

Whatever advantage Peterman has over Barkley for being here longer than a week and a half is negated by the fact that he's one of the (if not, THE) worst NFL QB of all time!

We're not developing Matt Barkley. He's a veteran who's started 6 games. Throw him in the fire. It can't look any worse and i'd much rather have the devil I don't know over the Peter Man.

The devil you don't know? He is a walking injury playing behind the worst line in the NFL. Either way, he will be cut when Anderson clears concussion protocol next week. Allen and Anderson are the two QB spots. Peterman needs to be cut and moved to practice squad just so they have a warm body for an emergency.

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Oh, I agree. I’m just saying AJ is kinda garbage too and if it was a competition, Peterman won it.

Didn't love him either, but he's roster spot worthy as a backup QB. If it were up to me, I would have started the season with AJM as #1 and Allen as #2. Peterman would have been cut after the Draft and Free Agency. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Kevin1778 said:

If he wasn't capable he wouldn't be here. It isn't his fault the coach thinks a 5th round guy in his second year, with no offensive line, should be a starting quarterback. This guy is a young QB making nothing. He has shown at times like in Houston he can play. 

Throwing 1 TD and moving the chains a few times doesn’t mean he can play.  What do the two consecutive INT’s in the two final drives against Houston prove?

So the coach you think is an idiot but has enough sense to understand Peterman is a capable back up?  

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Didn't love him either, but he's roster spot worthy as a backup QB. If it were up to me, I would have begun the season with AJM as #1 and Allen as #2. Peterman would have been cut after the Draft and Free Agency. 

That’s fair but I would take a draft pick for AJ.  They should have signed another guy after they traded him though.  Going into the season with 2 QBs was a terrible decision.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

That’s fair but I would take a draft pick for AJ.  They should have signed another guy after they traded him though.  Going into the season with 2 QBs was a terrible decision.

Absolutely was as Beane later acknowledged. 

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

I really don't want Allen in there this week..I just see very little upside and a ton of downside..play him the 6 ganes after the bye..

Your thinking as a Bills fan.

McDimwit is thinking as a guy trying to preserve his career.

5 minutes ago, boco357 said:

I wonder if Jets fans are getting on management for trading Teddy Bridgewater now that Darnold is hurt.  They got a 3rd round pick for him.  He was their 3rd string QB.  

He isn't a 3rd string QB. He is a starter or backup. Guys like Peterman are third string quarterbacks. You pay them $600k.  Bridgewater has a $6 million contract. You can't pay that type of money to a 3rd QB. They have a franchise QB and a veteran, which is what smart teams have. 

Edited by Kevin1778

1 hour ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

If he’s healthy he should be playing.  Pretty simple 

He's NOT healthy, he's limited STILL. I seriously can't believe anyone would be in favor of tossing Allen in this game. The idiot coach would just try to save himself from embarrassment by starting Allen. Guess what coach, nobody cares about this game and all you should be thinking about is Allen.

He isn't a 3rd string QB. He is a starter or backup. Guys like Peterman are third string quarterbacks. You pay them $600k.  Bridgewater has a $6 million contract. You can't pay that type of money to a 3rd QB.

I was saying at the time of the trade he was the Jets 3rd string QB.  I was comparing it to the Mccarron trade who was the Bills 3rd stringer in the summer.

He isn't a 3rd string QB. He is a starter or backup. Guys like Peterman are third string quarterbacks. You pay them $600k.  Bridgewater has a $6 million contract. You can't pay that type of money to a 3rd QB.

Nah, he's more of an insurance salesman.

• Like (+1) 1

I would be excited to see this. See what he has and if he has learned anything. Sometimes a change and fresh start can be good. 

Positive - 6 starts and over 300 yds in 3 of them. 

Negative - 6 starts and 12 ints in those games. 1-5 record in those starts. 

It might be the worst QB situation for a team in the NFL regular season since the merger. It is bordering on the "unbelievaBill".  

They might as well as approach this game like a preseason game, play each of them for a quarter and whoever plays the least worst, or is still standing, plays the 4th. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Nah, he's more of an insurance salesman.

Nope. He is on par with a guy like Danny Etling. Only difference is Patriots don't start their practice squad caliber quarterbacks. Only morons put guys with Petermans talent and inexperience on the field when they aren't ready behind bad offensive lines with no receivers.

Remember, Derek Anderson had 6 turnovers, a pick 6, and no touchdowns in 2 starts. Why? Because a stupid coach rushed him into the field.

Peterman should start.  Allen should use this week and the bye week to prep for coming back 100% healthy.  Barkley was signed because they only had 1 healthy QB going into the last game, and if Anderson hasn't cleared concussion protocol and Allen isn't ready, they need to have a backup.  I see zero value in Barkley playing.  He was and is a terrible NFL QB, which has borne out over many years and several teams.  Peterman is a young, developmental guy who has shown some bright spots and a whole lot of horrible (and yes, at epic levels)/

I know that many think that Peterman is the worst QB in history, and some statistics could justify that argument.  Keep in mind that top 10 draft pick Sam Darnold threw 4 picks last week and top 10 draft pick Josh Rosen threw 3 picks, including 2 pick-6s against the Broncos a few weeks ago.  This is what young, inexperienced QBs do, particularly against good defenses, and particularly when the team they are on has no WRs, no OL and very little running game.  With time, experience and a better supporting cast, some of them get better.  Peterman could very well be a viable future #2 or #3 QB for this team.  Let him play and see if that's the case.  I'm not disillusioned and don't think he will be a starter or Pro Bowler.  I don't even think he's a lock to become a viable backup - but he might.  We're 2-7 and can always cut him or put him on the Practice Squad later if he continues to struggle.  There is no future potential for Barkley on this team, so there is no sense in playing him.

• Like (+1) 2