USA Today: A Look Back at Ed Rutkowski as the Bills' 1968 Disaster QB

1 minute ago, Augie said:

An all-time classic commercial! Really, not TOO many top that. 

I always opt for 'funny' over 'tugged heartstrings', but there probably were a few more Cokes sold.

Now as for me, give me either Snickers commercial (Batman Jets or the Chefs), or the old Wheaties commercial from the early 70s with NFL notables screwing up, while the jingle goes "HeyJoe, you didn't have your Wheaties, so sad, you missed another play" (or something similar - it's been over 45 years!)

2 hours ago, dwight in philly said:

just a point of reference , philly took Leroy Keyes out of Purdue after OJ

True but with a Bills win the draft order would of been:

Atlanta

Philadelphia

Buffalo

Pittsburg

Keyes was CB and the Bills still had Butch Byrd and Booker Edgerson.

'68 was Sestak's last year and they had a need at DT thus my Joe Greene scenario.

Like I said it's fun to think about how different the Bills organization would have been.

Cook would of been another interesting possibility like others have mentioned.

What if he was selected and didn't hurt his shoulder?

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

True but with a Bills win the draft order would of been:

Atlanta

Philadelphia

Buffalo

Pittsburg

Keyes was CB and the Bills still had Butch Byrd and Booker Edgerson.

'68 was Sestak's last year and they had a need at DT thus my Joe Greene scenario.

Like I said it's fun to think about how different the Bills organization would have been.

Cook would of been another interesting possibility like others have mentioned.

What if he was selected and didn't hurt his shoulder?

Keyes played RB with the Eagles before later switching to safety.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

But....how would you use Mean Joe as a decoy? 

Good point. He probably would have used Cook as a DT, so it’s hard to say. Receiver, probably. Given what he did with the Juice.

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Good point. He probably would have used Cook as a DT, so it’s hard to say. Receiver, probably. Given what he did with the Juice.

I know, he could use him like the Fridge, in specialty situations! 

Yeah, on the wrong side of the ball, and totally stupid, so it might have occurred to him.....

I remember that year well.

Was my first year as a Bills fan.

Went to the Rockpile for my first pro game.  Saw Namath throw 8 TD passes in the game.  But 3 of them were to the Bills, who won 37-35!

Remember that Raiders game on TV.  Was heartbroken when Rutkowski fumbled on the 5-10 yd line, Bills trailing the mighty Raiders only 13-10.  Remember the ball laying on the field for an eternity before covered by the Raiders.  Still think it was OOB and a bad call.

Fast forward 15 years.  I was a resident at CHOB, sitting in the residents office (really more of a closet) on Hodge St.  My fellow residents were talking Bills football.  And how bad they were (this is 1984).  

One of the other residents pipes up.  "Not as bad as in 1968.  They couldnt protect their QBs at all".

Guys name was Bob Darragh (now a pediatric cardiologist).  His bother's name was Dan.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Went to the Rockpile for my first pro game.  Saw Namath throw 8 TD passes in the game.  But 3 of them were to the Bills, who won 37-35!

Remember that Raiders game on TV.  Was heartbroken when Rutkowski fumbled on the 5-10 yd line, Bills trailing the mighty Raiders only 13-10.  Remember the ball laying on the field for an eternity before covered by the Raiders.  Still think it was OOB and a bad call.

Fast forward 15 years.  I was a resident at CHOB, sitting in the residents office (really more of a closet) on Hodge St.  My fellow residents were talking Bills football.  And how bad they were (this is 1984).  

One of the other residents pipes up.  "Not as bad as in 1968.  They couldnt protect their QBs at all".

Guys name was Bob Darragh (now a pediatric cardiologist).  His bother's name was Dan.

It was my first year as well. I was 10. I remember the San Diego home game that year in mid November.  It was a miserable game both in performance (Bills lost 21-6) and the weather. Cold rain the whole game. By the fourth quarter you couldn’t read any of the players numbers because it was a mud bowl.  Well, all except for one: Mr. John Hadl #21. 

John Hadl’s uni was completely clean!  Every other player on the field was mud from head to toe. There wasn’t much to cheer about but about mid way through the 4th quarter, a chant started: GET HADL DIRTY!!  GET HADL DIRTY!  The whole stadium was chanting it in unison. It went on for 3-4 plays and the Bills finally sacked him.  The crowd roared like we had just won the game. That was a tough season, so I, my brother and my father were pathetically happy for that one moral victory. 

I also remember Ed Rutkowski wearing a wrist band with plays on it when he played later that season.  That was the first I had ever seen that. He held his own.

Edited by BuffaloBob

2 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Somewhere, Tom Janik smiles. 

15 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They had to create the beginning of the West Coast Offense to compensate for the loss of Cook with Virgil Carter as his replacement.  Bill Walsh was the mastermind on that Bengals' staff under Paul Brown. 

Greg Cook was a very very good QB.

Ken Anderson was a great talent.His career short as well.

PS-I knew Virgil Carter.Good guy.Havent spoken to him for at least 10 yrs though.

11 hours ago, K-9 said:

Rauch should have been prosecuted and sent to prison for what he did to OJ and Bills fans.