Occasi-Cortez Channeling the Rent's too damn high guy

bdutton

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Love watching Trump trash's head explode over a well qualified female. Too funny! 

She is so much smarter than Trump it's silly 

Is she qualified because of her non-existent publishing house, her non-existent education company, her waitressing background, or her bartending background?

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/10/2018 at 5:25 PM, 3rdnlng said:

If you want to have some fun, go to the grocery store and ask for odd amounts of a cold cut like ham. Can I help you sir? Yes, I'd like 6/10 of a pound of Sahlens Ham and 2/3s of a pound of hard salami. Wait for the blank stares.

Yeah that's fun.  So is throwing a cashier an extra quarter or dollar after they've already had the register calculate your change.  You can shut down an entire checkout lane with that one. 

Edited by keepthefaith

On 11/11/2018 at 8:24 PM, keepthefaith said:

Yeah that's fun.  So is throwing a cashier an extra quarter or dollar after they've already had the register calculate your change.  You can shut down an entire checkout lane with that one. 

True story: I had to buy a stone slab for my outdoor shower threshold and the young 20 something lady who helped me pick it out said, “How many inches in a yard? I forget.”  

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Wow...none of you have ever taken a job before you had new housing lined up?

Some people must have never moved for work.

???  She's known she was going to "take a new job" since primary day.

Last time I moved for a job I had two weeks notice and I managed.  But I fail to see how this is at all analogous to her situation.

Edited by LeviF91
unnecessary punctuation

45 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Last time I moved for a job I had two week's notice and I managed.  But I fail to see how this is at all analogous to her situation.

It's not in any way analogous.

He's simply trying to bury the fact that someone he supports to take part in the management of a 4 trillion dollar budget and direct US economic policy couldn't manage to plan to pay for her own apartment or manager her own personal finances.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

37 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

It's not in any way analogous.

He's simply trying to bury the fact that someone he supports to take part in the management of a 4 trillion dollar budget and direct US economic policy couldn't manage to plan to pay for her own apartment or manager her own personal finances.

That right there is a scary situation. How someone so obviously incompetent won an election. I guess it says more about the electorate than anything else. Dumb electing dumber.

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Wow...none of you have ever taken a job before you had new housing lined up?

No.  Because I'm not an idiot.

1 hour ago, LeviF91 said:

Last time I moved for a job I had two weeks notice and I managed.  But I fail to see how this is at all analogous to her situation.

And she doesn't yet have to move to DC.

This isn't even about finding a new place.  It's "What the hell happened to your place in NYC?"

3 hours ago, Nanker said:

True story: I had to buy a stone slab for my outdoor shower threshold and the young 20 something lady who helped me pick it out said, “How many inches in a yard? I forget.”  

My father once asked my nephews, "how many eights in an inch?" I think if he had replaced eights with 1/8 they may have gotten it, but then again I wouldn't have the opportunity to periodically remind them of it.

• Like (+1) 1

I find it shocking how many people are shitting on her for this for really no other reason than they don't like her politics. It is possible to hate someones policy positions and empathize with them as a person. If this was some libertarian or conservative young person who came out of nowhere to upset Marco Rubio or some other establishment GOP congressmen would you honestly be hating on them?  

Is it really unfathomable that a young person can't pay for 3 months rent in Washington DC (November and December plus last months rent), a security deposit, moving expenses,  and general living expenses for 2 months while not being able to fully work? So many people on this forum say corruption is the problem, lawyers and rich business people being the only ones involved in politics is the problem, and that more ordinary people need to run for office. Yet when someone who isn't rich and isn't a lawyer or business person can't afford 5-6k in moving costs everyone is shitting on them? 

Seriously do you think that only people with money should win elections? 

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I find it shocking how many people are shitting on her for this for really no other reason than they don't like her politics. It is possible to hate someones policy positions and empathize with them as a person. If this was some libertarian or conservative young person who came out of nowhere to upset Marco Rubio or some other establishment GOP congressmen would you honestly be hating on them?  

Is it really unfathomable that a young person can't pay for 3 months rent in Washington DC (November and December plus last months rent), a security deposit, moving expenses,  and general living expenses for 2 months while not being able to fully work? So many people on this forum say corruption is the problem, lawyers and rich business people being the only ones involved in politics is the problem, and that more ordinary people need to run for office. Yet when someone who isn't rich and isn't a lawyer or business person can't afford 5-6k in moving costs everyone is shitting on them? 

No, people lacking life experience and financial success, who lack the ability to manage their own personal finances, and don't have a plan to shelter themselves should not be elected to higher office.

I don't care what the views of the individual in question are.

Our highest elected offices should be filled by statesmen formed from what Jefferson called "the natural aristocracy".

1 minute ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

No, people lacking life experience and financial success, who lack the ability to manage their own personal finances, and don't have a plan to shelter themselves should not be elected to higher office.

I don't care what the views of the individual in question are.

Our highest elected offices should be filled by statesmen formed from what Jefferson called "the natural aristocracy".

So you are OK with only well off elites being elected and expecting them to fight corruption, to me that seems like a contradictory idea? For me personally I only care about your ideas, where your funding comes from (In this legalized form of bribery call campaign contributions your conflict of interest is called into question by who funds your campaigns), and how you plan to represent your district. That doesn't mean that I want a bunch of idiots in Congress but rather that to be a smart person who understands the issues and cares about representing your people you don't need to rich or part of some "natural aristocracy." Give me more common people in government rather than demanding everyone financially successful. 

12 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I agree with you wrt substantive attacks against her for this. But poking fun at her for being a nitwit who thinks she knows how to manage the finances of 300+ million people when she can barely manage her own isn't so bad. She's playing in the big leagues now, whether she belongs or not.

Most (not all) of what I've seen directed at her is light-hearted humor, rather than mean-spirited vitriol. For that, she should consider herself fortunate. If she had an R after her name it would be an entirely different story.

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

So you are OK with only well off elites being elected and expecting them to fight corruption, to me that seems like a contradictory idea? For me personally I only care about your ideas, where your funding comes from (In this legalized form of bribery call campaign contributions your conflict of interest is called into question by who funds your campaigns), and how you plan to represent your district. That doesn't mean that I want a bunch of idiots in Congress but rather that to be a smart person who understands the issues and cares about representing your people you don't need to rich or part of some "natural aristocracy." Give me more common people in government rather than demanding everyone financially successful. 

This is a strawman.

I don't demand wealthy individuals, only those whom have achieved a degree financial success coupled with the wisdom granted by years of life experience.  Then from that pool, look to the ideas.

A person doesn't need to be rich to be self minimally self sufficient to the point of being able to afford someplace to live.

This is a baseline marker for competence, something I demand from the individuals who represent us.

1 minute ago, Rob's House said:

I agree with you wrt substantive attacks against her for this. But poking fun at her for being a nitwit who thinks she knows how to manage the finances of 300+ million people when she can barely manage her own isn't so bad. She's playing in the big leagues now, whether she belongs or not.

Most (not all) of what I've seen directed at her is light-hearted humor, rather than mean-spirited vitriol. For that, she should consider herself fortunate. If she had an R after her name it would be an entirely different story.

Maybe I am taking lighthearted attacks a bit too seriously. But it just seems like an out of touch attack that is counter intuitive to what people actually want in government (less lawyers more common people.) 

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Maybe I am taking lighthearted attacks a bit too seriously. But it just seems like an out of touch attack that is counter intuitive to what people actually want in government (less lawyers more common people.) 

Again, I agree we need fewer lawyers.  You can demonstrate minimal competence and be able to shelter yourself in other professions.

14 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I agree with you wrt substantive attacks against her for this. But poking fun at her for being a nitwit who thinks she knows how to manage the finances of 300+ million people when she can barely manage her own isn't so bad.

She's a complete dumbass who caught a wind at her back, but I'm not going to get on her case so much as I'm going to get on the case of the people who elected her.

But let's be honest, the left has never been interested in putting intelligent people in office. A bartender trying to play a role in managing the finances of 325 million people is only slightly less ridiculous than an old guy concerned that troop build up will cause Guam to tip over.

Again, intelligence has never been a requirement of the left. It's how Obama got elected.