Occasi-Cortez Channeling the Rent's too damn high guy

bdutton

6 hours ago, Hedge said:

What if that co-worker complained loudly, every few minutes, that the company sucks, the boss is an #######, everyone that they work with is stupid, and their customers are all racists (while the customers are present)?

Rubber-glue argument fallacy. Both can be wrong. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Derp 

Pelosi deserves the same treatment as Trump (for a different reason) for her "Make America white again" insult. Totally inappropriate. 

The "squad" deserves even more criticism. But a racist trope, from the president, is too far and he got the right rebuke he earned. 

See the pox on both their houses. 

Edited by BeginnersMind
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Pelosi deserves the same treatment as Trump (for a different reason) for her "Make America white again" insult. Totally inappropriate. 

The "squad" deserves even more criticism. But a racist trope, from the president, is too far and he got the right rebuke he earned. 

I see a blocked Derp bring Derpy.       At least Buftex has outdone you in this thread ???

Let’s not pretend Pelosi will catch flack for spreading the company line

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Lucky for the squad they didn't let a like minded white commie like Swallwell in.  That would prevent at least part of their ability to be offended.

I have no idea of your ethnicity, gender, religion, race or whatever else is on the red hair ring offensive list.  

You're a commie.  Please let me know if that was racist.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Sorry to pick a nit but you have it backwards.  Disagree with me?  NAZI!!!  Criticize someone from my side? RACIST!!

You really think that they have rules for these knee-jerk responses? They just blindly say these things without any thought. 

23 hours ago, GG said:

Trump makes enough stupid statements that there's no need to invent new outrages.   Just because his comments were targeted at women of color doesn't mean the content was racist.  It's getting a lot more common to blame racism for any kind of criticism of a non-white person.  Funny how everyone sided with Nancy last week when AOC predictably threw out the racist defense.   

Trump's comments were inane and ill-timed, but they weren't racist.  I'm sure you saw today's WSJ op-ed that puts the tweetstorm in the proper historic context of nativist sloganeering.   

What nobody mentioned yet is that his comments are taken straight out of the Vietnam era disagreements, with the whole "Our Country. Take it or Leave It" stance.   Those disagreements were not about race because the targets were nearly always upper middle class whites who took up the revolutionary cause.  The Justice Democrats and Antifa are descendants of that societal scourge, and other than the four dark-skinned mouthpieces, the operation is run by misguided upper class trust fund kids.

But, it's a lot easier and gets you more street cred to cry out racism.

He didn't say to them that they could "love it or leave it," which would have been the wrong message from all of our president, but par for the course for his lack of leadership in trying to unite us (and no, he's not dancing by himself in this dance...just in the spotlight in this conversation). He more or less has Tweeted "love it or leave it" before at his opponents including today, by the way. 

But that's not what he said to "the squad" (god I hate that new word). He said they came from--my words from Trump in other contexts--"s---hole" countries and they should "go back" to them. This was to Americans, 3 born in America and one naturalized.

If I said "go home" to your shithole "country" to a black coworker, I would 100% rightfully be fired within minutes. End of story. Why? Because what I said was racist. I hear that you don't see that as racist. Many (and maybe most Americans but I won't dicker on that) disagree with you, and even if we disagree on that point, maybe we can disagree on this: The leader of the free world should not have said it. 

What Pelosi said was just as bad. Truly awful. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BeginnersMind said:

He didn't say to them that they could "love it or leave it," which would have been the wrong message from all of our president, but par for the course for his lack of leadership in trying to unite us (and no, he's not dancing by himself in this dance...just in the spotlight in this conversation). He more or less has Tweeted "love it or leave it" before at his opponents including today, by the way. 

But that's not what he said to "the squad" (god I hate that new word). He said they came from--my words from Trump in other contexts--"s---hole" countries and they should "go back" to them. This was to Americans, 3 born in America and one naturalized.

If I said "go home" to your shithole "country" to a black coworker, I would 100% rightfully be fired within minutes. End of story. Why? Because what I said was racist. I hear that you don't see that as racist. Many (and maybe most Americans but I won't dicker on that) disagree with you, and even if we disagree on that point, maybe we can disagree on this: The leader of the free world should not have said it. 

Telling someone to leave the country isn't racist. However, Telling someone to leave the country to a specific location is racist.

The difference is that one phrase was used by racists in the past, while the other is used by everyone.

It's a weird distinction.

5 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Telling someone to leave the country isn't racist. However, Telling someone to leave the country to a specific location is racist.

The difference is that one phrase was used by racists in the past, while the other is used by everyone.

It's a weird distinction.

And if I said to my American black coworker that she should go back to her catastrophic, corrupt, and and broken country?

"Love it or leave it" rubs me the wrong way, especially in how it was used post-Vietnam. I like to think of the American tent as big enough to encompass diverse points of view, including racists and non-, and peace-lovers and hawks, and religious and atheists. But "love it or leave it," as you say, is not racist. 

Nice that we can say shithole in the filter. 

Edited by BeginnersMind
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BeginnersMind said:

And if I said to my black coworker that she should go back to her catastrophic, corrupt, and and broken country?

If you told her to go back to detroit, it wouldn't be racist.

Tell her to go back to the ghetto and it would be.

The specifics matter.

Like the "concentration camp" argument, context matters. Funny how that debate between definition and implication reversed positions.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, unbillievable said:

If you told her to go back to detroit, it wouldn't be racist.

Tell her to go back to the ghetto and it would be.

The specifics matter.

Like the "concentration camp" argument, context matters. Funny how that debate between definition and implication reversed positions.

And if I said to my AMERICAN black coworker that she should go back to her catastrophic, corrupt, and and broken country?

3 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

And if I said to my AMERICAN black coworker that she should go back to her catastrophic, corrupt, and and broken country?

If that country was England, it wouldn't be racist.

If that country was Mexico, maybe.

If that country was Libya, probably racist.

Also, you have to be more specific about what AMERICAN, means.

Edited by unbillievable

14 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

You continue to make my argument.

You should be fired for making an asinine inappropriate comment to a co-worker, just like you should be fired for telling an Albanian or Russian coworker to go back to his shithole country.

15 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

I think it's more racist to assume your black coworker isn't from Europe.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

I think it's more racist to assume your black coworker isn't from Europe.

It's interesting that the debate has focused primarily on the one semi-black (not sure) member of the squad, and somehow "Africa" got thrown in there. The tweet didn't even include names.

Is it racist to exaggerate a statement by inserting your own stereotypes into it?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BeginnersMind said:

I know this has been asked before but what makes what he said racist?  So when we tell any people of color to “***** off!”, which is what he was essentially saying, it is racist virtue of the fact they are not white?  So based on this anything negative,  anything said being critical of a person of color can be interpreted as racist. I’m sorry but I don’t want to live in a world where I have to think of the color of the skin of the person I’m talking about first.  

Again when everything is racist nothing is racist.