Occasi-Cortez Channeling the Rent's too damn high guy

bdutton

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Little doubt of that.  But really didn't expect 44 to have a Super Majority (short lived as it was).  So, would prefer to not see what sort of damage they could work with Pelosi & Shummer not what Executive Orders either would come up with.

True, but '08 was the perfect storm for Republicans as the Iraq War became deeply unpopular,  we were going through the greatest crisis since the great depression, and the response to Hurricane Katrina by Bush was portrayed as inept by the media (unfairly in my opinion).  I doubt you'll see another Supermajority.  Even with the Supermajority the most centrist Democrats killed the public option in order to get the ACA through.  Now, if either party in power of all three branches killed the filibuster in the Senate it would be a whole different ball game.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

True, but '08 was the perfect storm for Republicans as the Iraq War became deeply unpopular,  we were going through the greatest crisis since the great depression, and the response to Hurricane Katrina by Bush was portrayed as inept by the media (unfairly in my opinion).  I doubt you'll see another Supermajority.  Even with the Supermajority the most centrist Democrats killed the public option in order to get the ACA through.  Now, if either party in power of all three branches killed the filibuster in the Senate it would be a whole different ball game.

The media did not only portray Bush as inept regarding Katrina but also as a racist. That seems to be the point in time that all on the right became racists. 

37 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

The media did not only portray Bush as inept regarding Katrina but also as a racist. That seems to be the point in time that all on the right became racists. 

What's scary is people like you believe that...

1 hour ago, Boca BIlls said:

What's scary is people like you believe that...

So the left didn't run with "George Bush doesn’t care about black people"?

Don't be a schmuck.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I don't remember the media suggesting that but I do remember race baiters like Jesse Jackson saying that the slow response time from FEMA would've been quicker if the majority impacted by the hurricane weren't black.  Then of course Kanye's usual craving for attention by saying "George Bush doesn't care about black people" going off script during a telethon.

I remember a lot of unused busses intended for evacuation of people that had no other way out. I also remember the New Orleans mayor trying to skirt his responsibility by blaming Bush. I wonder what ever happened to him?

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I don't remember the media suggesting that but I do remember race baiters like Jesse Jackson saying that the slow response time from FEMA would've been quicker if the majority impacted by the hurricane weren't black.  Then of course Kanye's usual craving for attention by saying "George Bush doesn't care about black people" going off script during a telethon.

You're right, they didn't suggest that...directly.  Bback then, the media would report 

"Black people are mad because they feel the reason for the slow response is because those people are black and they didn't support George Bush," said Ron Walters, a professor of government and politics at the University of Maryland.

Whereas today, they'd just say "The reason for the slow response is because those people are black and they didn't support Donald Trump."

It's rather remarkable, how the reporting has changed in 15 years.

• Like (+1) 3

AOC: U.S. Must Provide Lifelong Mental Healthcare Services To Migrant Children Because Of Trauma We Have Caused

AOC held a town hall event on immigration in Queens, NY on Saturday.

The young Congresswoman believes the U.S. government must make a “lifelong commitment” to provide mental healthcare services to migrant children. The reason? Because of the lifelong trauma we inflict upon them when we separate them from their parents at the border. AOC told the crowd:

7 minutes ago, B-Man said:

AOC: U.S. Must Provide Lifelong Mental Healthcare Services To Migrant Children Because Of Trauma We Have Caused

The young Congresswoman believes the U.S. government must make a “lifelong commitment” to provide mental healthcare services to migrant children. The reason? Because of the lifelong trauma we inflict upon them when we separate them from their parents at the border. AOC told the crowd:

AOC seriously needs to get laid.

On 7/21/2019 at 2:28 AM, Doc Brown said:

The republicans would have won in 08 with McCain if they didn't have Palin as his running mate.  As much as the DNC screwed the pooch in 16 the repubs did the same in 08.  They tried to capitalize on the womens vote and grab Hillary supporters by adding Palin.  They underestimated how dumb she was and I firmly believe she cost them the election.  Just like the DNC underestimated how much people disliked Hillary.  I'm a dem and wanted to vote McCain and still did even with Palin dragging him down.  Who better to lead us out of an unwinnable war than a decorated war veteran?

See what I did there?  I was objective about both parties.  Those Trump tweets were dumb.  You don't have to defend everything he does just because you are Republican.  He has done some good and he has done some bad.  These tweets were a bad look from him and it is okay to admit it.  I know it is politics but "go back to where you came from" to elected representatives let alone just regular people shouldn't be an acceptable way to talk to people.  It is just so embarrassing to watch our President get into twitter beefs with people.  Twitter beefs.  A 73 year old man.  Twitter beefs.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, section122 said:

It is just so embarrassing to watch our President get into twitter beefs with people.  Twitter beefs.  A 73 year old man.  Twitter beefs.  

I hear what you're saying but it's deeper than Twitter beefs -- and many millions of Americans are not embarrassed by them (right or wrong), but find them refreshing to see someone fight back against the outrage machine. The same machine that's been used for decades (but has been given PEDs since 2001) to crush any rational discourse or objections to the establishment's agenda with cries of "RACIST! SEXIST! HOMOPHOBIC! EVIL!"

Trump uses his Twitter to vent, sure, but also as a laser pointer. By tweeting he forces the media to cover certain stories they'd otherwise ignore. It forces the dishonest folk within the media (of which there are plenty) to expose their own hypocrisies and poorly reasoned logic in efforts to condemn the tweets or protect the targets of the tweets. It's an ongoing education for millions of Americans as to just how dishonest, controlled, and dangerous the MSM is. 

So it bumps you, because you're not a republican (and it bumps plenty of republicans as well as independents) -- but the overall effect is to increase awareness, solidify his base, and punch back against an organized propaganda machine in such a way that exposes that machine to new scrutiny by millions of Americans. 

That's a win-win-win for Trump and his agenda. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 12:49 PM, plenzmd1 said:

i said nothing bout that..ever! As said, i don't have a problem with him having sex with anyone, as long as it was consensual.I also don't think everyone who has strayed is an immoral cretin, i think we all make mistakes in this life. But I don't think the Evangelicals think that way and that was my point 

Maybe they like President Trump because he would rather not have babies in their 9th month aborted and celebrate a "victory" like this by lighting up the Empire State Building in pink with taxpayer dollars.

If you support things like this and attacking Israel you should be against our President.

If not, point me to a democrat running in the primary who is on the conservative side of these two issues.

I'll wait.....;)

52 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Absolutely disgusting, evil, and insane.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

If not, point me to a democrat running in the primary who is on the conservative side of these two issues.

I'll wait.....;)

As I am sure you know, you will have a long wait.

Diversity to the Left means skin pigmentation and genitalia............................Diversity of Thought is NOT allowed.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 7/19/2019 at 12:28 PM, plenzmd1 said:

Is this very discussion not proof? Some really smart people here have said this whole tweet thing was politically motivated. If so, Trump views iy as advantage to the nation to be totally divided on its meaning/message.

Yes. Agreed completely. And when the powerful speakers of the Dem party speak about Republicans being “Racist, Misogynists, Homophobic, Xenophobic, White Supremacists, Deplorables, Despicable, Nazis, Traitors, Putin’s Puppets, Un-American, Gullible, Low-Information Voters, Under-educated, Dog Whistle Code Talkers, Gay-Bashing, African American Hating, Anti-Immigration, Hispanic Detesting, Islamic-hating Christian WASPS and Catholics” they’re only doing so to “unite” the country. 

Thanks for for clearing that up. 

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I hear what you're saying but it's deeper than Twitter beefs -- and many millions of Americans are not embarrassed by them (right or wrong), but find them refreshing to see someone fight back against the outrage machine. The same machine that's been used for decades (but has been given PEDs since 2001) to crush any rational discourse or objections to the establishment's agenda with cries of "RACIST! SEXIST! HOMOPHOBIC! EVIL!"

Trump uses his Twitter to vent, sure, but also as a laser pointer. By tweeting he forces the media to cover certain stories they'd otherwise ignore. It forces the dishonest folk within the media (of which there are plenty) to expose their own hypocrisies and poorly reasoned logic in efforts to condemn the tweets or protect the targets of the tweets. It's an ongoing education for millions of Americans as to just how dishonest, controlled, and dangerous the MSM is. 

So it bumps you, because you're not a republican (and it bumps plenty of republicans as well as independents) -- but the overall effect is to increase awareness, solidify his base, and punch back against an organized propaganda machine in such a way that exposes that machine to new scrutiny by millions of Americans. 

That's a win-win-win for Trump and his agenda. 

I see where you are coming from but I see it a bit differently.  The media is absolutely biased but it is on both sides.  Fox News spent 8 years screaming about Obama being Kenyan and how he was the Antichrist.  Now that it is a republican it is CNN's turn to do the same.  The outrage machine exists because people eat it up and I feel that Trump not only feeds it but uses it his benefit which in turn creates more divisiveness in our country.  It does indeed energize his base and I get it.  It was a masterclass watching him dismantle first the republican primary then Hillary during debates.  He used soundbites (wrong!) and personal attacks to take them down one by one.  His debates with Hillary were hilarious because she was the "consummate" politician using canned answers and talking points while he came in like a bulldozer.  She had no idea how to handle it.  

We differ in the opinion that it increases awareness.  I think it only serves to increase divisiveness.  People bury their head and only read what they want.  Look at @B-Man.  God bless him for sharing so many articles but have you ever seen one shared that isn't completely slanted against dems?  Snowflake, libtard, etc. are names casually thrown about.  I guess it is a bit pollyanna-ish of me but to me Trump fans the flames more than anything else constructive he is doing.

Edited by section122
  • Like (+1) 1