TxTech-78 UB-58. Congrats on a great season. (Ranked, 32-4 record)

PromoTheRobot

Thanks, any insider things to look for?

Part of a doubleheader on my TV with the annual ritual sacrifice of Elon against the Heels as the first game. 

Hopefully it's over before the end of the first half of the Bulls game.  :D

And UB wins it going away in OT. Signature win at West Virginia, their first opening loss in 29 years. And on their home floor to boot. I can see why the pundits made the Bulls the #1 mid major in the preseason polls. 

watched this just now. Awesome win by UB...and man did they stink in the first half. That's a great trait. I know they just gave Nate an extension, double the money now UB. Better do it for Liepold too!

two things for @PromoTheRobot

1) will they get people at games? I have never been to one ..will start looking when back in Buffalo now

2) What has changed in the last couple years for the revenue sports at UB? Is is just coaching? They giving the coached more exceptions? Boosters lossening up their wallets a bit more and kids getting paid better? What is it?

3) just at ticket pricing..man season tickets are freaking CHEAP!!!! $410 gets you a great ticket to every game..and you get to write $250 of that off as a donation. That is way less than my Richmond tickets i share...and Richmond sucks !!!!

Edited by plenzmd1

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

watched this just now. Awesome win by UB...and man did they stink in the first half. That's a great trait. I know they just gave Nate an extension, double the money now UB. Better do it for Liepold too!

two things for @PromoTheRobot

1) will they get people at games? I have never been to one ..will start looking when back in Buffalo now

2) What has changed in the last couple years for the revenue sports at UB? Is is just coaching? They giving the coached more exceptions? Boosters lossening up their wallets a bit more and kids getting paid better? What is it?

3) just at ticket pricing..man season tickets are freaking CHEAP!!!! $410 gets you a great ticket to every game..and you get to write $250 of that off as a donation. That is way less than my Richmond tickets i share...and Richmond sucks !!!!

Hard to point to one thing. I guess it started when they hired ADs with higher aspirations than Bucky Gleason.

Warde Manuel had the first wave of success but I think Danny White is the guy that put UB on track. Of course Bob DiCesare, formerly of the Buffalo News, tarred and feathered him for trying to rebrand athletics as "New York.”

Alan Greene succeeded him and kept the momentum. Both guys were really aggressive in fundraising. It helps having UB alum Chris Koch put New Era behind the program.

The biggest problem with UB is that SUNY has historically not valued athletics. For years most SUNY schools played at D3. That's finally starting to change but SUNY will never pay a coach in the millions unless local boosters cover most of the bill. Can that happen in WNY. Can a pro market like Buffalo become college boosters?

20 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Warde Manuel had the first wave of success but I think Danny White is the guy that put UB on track. Of course Bob DiCesare, formerly of the Buffalo News, tarred and feathered him for trying to rebrand athletics as "New York.”

I go back and forth on this.  If you look around the country the "primary" state public university is typically referred to as the state name -- i.e., North Carolina, Oklahoma, Michigan, Texas, Georgia, Alabama, etc. -- even though they have multiple schools in the system.  It sort of makes sense to call UB "New York" or "New York State."  Of course, the Buffalo native in me likes keeping Buffalo prominent and I love referring to them as UB.  But it's not as if there is one clear cut correct answer.

Awesome win at WVU Friday night.

3 hours ago, eball said:

I go back and forth on this.  If you look around the country the "primary" state public university is typically referred to as the state name -- i.e., North Carolina, Oklahoma, Michigan, Texas, Georgia, Alabama, etc. -- even though they have multiple schools in the system.  It sort of makes sense to call UB "New York" or "New York State."  Of course, the Buffalo native in me likes keeping Buffalo prominent and I love referring to them as UB.  But it's not as if there is one clear cut correct answer.

Awesome win at WVU Friday night.

The logic behind it was UB has students and alums from all over the state. Also he wanted to unite the state behind it's biggest public school. Plus let's be honest. There wasn't a ton of local support for college athletics locally before recent successes.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

On 11/11/2018 at 11:08 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

The logic behind it was UB has students and alums from all over the state. Also he wanted to unite the state behind it's biggest public school. Plus let's be honest. There wasn't a ton of local support for college athletics locally before recent successes.

Let’s be real there still isn’t that much support

UB went far out of its way to get new fans this year and it marginally worked.

Some people got excited because they propped up their high end talent and wanted to see AJ and Tyree

but in 2 years they won’t be running down to see Vantrease at QB because he isn’t going to the league 

15 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Let’s be real there still isn’t that much support

UB went far out of its way to get new fans this year and it marginally worked.

Some people got excited because they propped up their high end talent and wanted to see AJ and Tyree

but in 2 years they won’t be running down to see Vantrease at QB because he isn’t going to the league 

True. But step one is getting them in the door. So far so good.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

True. But step one is getting them in the door. So far so good.

It will probably be easier to pack them in for basketball since it’s inside 

Once November comes it’s hard for me to imagine UB stadium almost full.

just way to windy and cold at the Stadium unfortunately