The gap between the haves and have-nots is growing wider

notwoz

10 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I don't know how much this relates to this article in particular, but for a while now I have been thinking about the prospect of a separate "salary cap" or set of rules strictly for the QB position, to exist along side, but separate from, the regular team salary cap.

I think it would be interesting and fun to discuss the merits of such an idea.

The QB position is so important, and it eats up so much $$$ under the cap, I think it could be interesting to keep it separate from the rest of the team.  Might help both QBs and regular players.

they did change it, Stafford is the last golden contract for QBs

7 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

That's the culture McDermott is trying to build.   Mental toughness to get through the times when we couldn't beat an egg.  

Cautiously optimistic man. What he's trying to do and will do I'm not going to bet is sure fire chance

7 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Cautiously optimistic man. What he's trying to do and will do I'm not going to bet is sure fire chance

it all depends on whether or not they invest in the oline.   you can't have rag tags and cast offs and expect to be competitive.   It doesn't work.   We need to completely remake the Oline.   And we need at least 3 new WRs that are capable of getting it done.   The only WR i want to keep around is Zay, and the only OL I want to keep is Dawkins and even then I don't want him at LT anymore.   

2 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

it all depends on whether or not they invest in the oline.   you can't have rag tags and cast offs and expect to be competitive.   It doesn't work.   We need to completely remake the Oline.   And we need at least 3 new WRs that are capable of getting it done.   The only WR i want to keep around is Zay, and the only OL I want to keep is Dawkins and even then I don't want him at LT anymore.   

Absolutely. Fix this QUICK and the defense has infinitely less chance of growing jaded.

They shouldn't have been in this position to begin with anyway

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

16 hours ago, Utah John said:

The exception that provides the rule is New England, where Brady could have raped the Patriots but chose only to make a fortune and not a king's ransom. This let the Pats put more quality players around him, and he gets to be regarded as the GOAT.  (The actual GOAT is either Montana or Peyton.)  

This is funny.  Surrounded by quality players?  How many future HOF WRs did Brady play with?  Moss for a couple of years?  How many HOF ballot RBs?  His RB list is a continuous list of reclamation projects, early round busts and rentals.

Montana was surrounded by Jerry Ricee, Roger Craig, and Dwight Clark....for years!

Manning was surrounded by E James, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne (all at least HOF nominees) for years.  Plus Dallas Clark and Stokely (making 3 1000 yd WRs on the roster at the same time).  And Still, Manning came up tiny come playoff time. 

Even so, it's all about the HC/QB combo.

And can people stop saying they aren't making elite QBs anymore?  The league has a bunch of super talented young QBs right now.

2 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Absolutely. Fix this QUICK and the defense has infinitely less chance of growing jaded.

They shouldn't have been in this position to begin with anyway

it was a tough offseason, losing Wood and Incognito was a bad deal.  then we needed a QB so letting Glenn go made sense too.   It can be a quick turnaround if Beane and McD acknowledge the line and the WRs are terrible and make that the focus of the offseason.   We can't just draft 5th and 6th round guys and hope for the best.  They have to be prioritized. 

19 hours ago, ocemur said:

The League decided more passing and scoring would be a better product. They just forgot to check if they had the inventory. Ten years ago or more, a really good defense could negate a really good QB. When they shifted the rules to get more scoring they created a game where only a great QB can beat a great QB. Since there isn't enough great QBs for everyone, some teams are just plain left out.

So what do you do? You can't create more great QBs, and they don't want to give up the scoring they believe will make the product more popular. They can either change the rules to encourage QBs to move from team to team, which just means you have the same problem, just on different teams, or you change the rules to make the running game as productive as the passing game. I'm guessing they would need to change rules on holding, maybe pre snap motion or anything else they can do to give the non QB teams a boost. 

I'm just tossing this out there for conversation - never going to happen - just hypothetical; in other words - don't attack me on this.  Heh.

Smaller ball.  Very few NFL players can properly throw an NFL football.  Or so I've heard NFL players state.  A slightly smaller ball would open up the market to many young guys with all the skills and the height but not huge hands.  Ever shaken jim's paw?  Anyhow, maybe there could be more than a handful of greats available at a time.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

it was a tough offseason, losing Wood and Incognito was a bad deal.  then we needed a QB so letting Glenn go made sense too.   It can be a quick turnaround if Beane and McD acknowledge the line and the WRs are terrible and make that the focus of the offseason.   We can't just draft 5th and 6th round guys and hope for the best.  They have to be prioritized. 

yep we're not disagreeing with each other. I feel we shouldn't have gone ALL defense in the offseason knowing Glenn, Cogs, Tyrod were leaving. Like invest something besides the rookie QB at the expense of Star (not that he's not playing well) or Vontae Davis.

Like the Terrelle Pryor signing. I mean they never acknowledged Peterman was terrible and named him week 1 starter.. yuck. So.. I'm just cautiously optimistic, I see what can happen to make this all come together, but they've made great acquisitions as well as poor mistakes, so I'll believe it when I see it, until then I'm still questioning how we got to this point and how we can finish this jigsaw puzzle with the mistakes made. 

I'm cautiously optimistic given decisions to date (think they've done just enough good things to set this all up), but still wary. You're a little bit peppier. Nothing wrong with either perspective.

Also just annoyed as a fan that this season is in the tubes, only season I recall as truly unwatchable by most 2nd halves. Life is short, and I don't want to waste a year not enjoying my favorite hobby. But that's my fan cap: absolutely no patience. My GM cap is saying maybe it'll pay major dividends.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, sleeby said:

I'm just tossing this out there for conversation - never going to happen - just hypothetical; in other words - don't attack me on this.  Heh.

Smaller ball.  Very few NFL players can properly throw an NFL football.  Or so I've heard NFL players state.  A slightly smaller ball would open up the market to many young guys with all the skills and the height but not huge hands.  Ever shaken jim's paw?  Anyhow, maybe there could be more than a handful of greats available at a time.

force top college teams to make their QBs learn how to drop back and throw like a real pro, instead of running options against totally overwhelmed opponents 95% of the time

The have and have-nots have always been there, at least in the past 20 years. You have a good qb and decent coaching, you'll win more than you'll lose. The difference this year, at least in my opinion, is that scoring has never been easier. A bad team with a good defense could score maybe 20 to 25 points and upset a good team occasionally. Good teams are putting up 30-40 points regularly this season and the bad teams simply cannot, even on a great day. Until they can find a way to get more good quarterbacks, this will remain the case. 

34 minutes ago, Wroughting said:

The have and have-nots have always been there, at least in the past 20 years. You have a good qb and decent coaching, you'll win more than you'll lose. The difference this year, at least in my opinion, is that scoring has never been easier. A bad team with a good defense could score maybe 20 to 25 points and upset a good team occasionally. Good teams are putting up 30-40 points regularly this season and the bad teams simply cannot, even on a great day. Until they can find a way to get more good quarterbacks, this will remain the case. 

re-watch last year's SB, only once did either D do anything at all on the field

many called it a classic...

7 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

Equality is not equal.  If you have bad front offices and bad general managers  it doesn't matter how many 1st round picks you have.   They will be consistently making bad decisions.   

It really comes down to the QB and nothing more.  If you have one, you are a have.  If you don't have one you're a have not.  Everything else is filler. 

...pretty strange how the same guys seem to get retreaded and recycled......whether GM's or HC's......up and coming coordinators earn a HC shot only to return to coordinator positions......certainly does not seem to be an ounce of confidence in tapping the collegiate ranks....then again, HC's in the collegiate ranks hold THE hammer, don't have to deal with NFL divas and have NO salary cap......figure the upper echelon collegiate HC's are in the $5-9 mil range and are campus deities as long as they keep boosters happy happy...pick your poison.....

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...pretty strange how the same guys seem to get retreaded and recycled......whether GM's or HC's......up and coming coordinators earn a HC shot only to return to coordinator positions......certainly does not seem to be an ounce of confidence in tapping the collegiate ranks....then again, HC's in the collegiate ranks hold THE hammer, don't have to deal with NFL divas and have NO salary cap......figure the upper echelon collegiate HC's are in the $5-9 mil range and are campus deities as long as they keep boosters happy happy...pick your poison.....

Exactly.  Saban is a God in Alabama, same with Urban in Ohio State but I think that is weakening a bit.  Sweeny in Clemson.  These guys can do no wrong and their kids either get in line of find another school because there are a dozen 5 star recruits waiting to take their place.   It's better right now to be a college coach than an NFL HC.    Unless you're Gruden and you are going to get 100 million dollars to essentially ruin a franchise. 

I've been saying this for years, the game has changed a lot, the idea of parity in the NFL is a joke.  Its the teams that have qb's and the ones that done.   For something like 16 out of the last 18 years the QB in the SB from the AFC has been Manning, Brady or Roethlisburger.   That trend will likely continue.   The NFL used to have parity, not anymore.  

Sure you can take a shot here and there with an adequate QB and a good defense but to consistently compete for the Superbowl year in and year out requires a great QB and coaching.   People want to talk about "it all starts up front" and "we need weapons".   What we need is a great QB and great coaching and the rest will take care of itself.

20 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

This is funny.  Surrounded by quality players?  How many future HOF WRs did Brady play with?  Moss for a couple of years?  How many HOF ballot RBs?  His RB list is a continuous list of reclamation projects, early round busts and rentals.

Montana was surrounded by Jerry Ricee, Roger Craig, and Dwight Clark....for years!

Manning was surrounded by E James, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne (all at least HOF nominees) for years.  Plus Dallas Clark and Stokely (making 3 1000 yd WRs on the roster at the same time).  And Still, Manning came up tiny come playoff time. 

Even so, it's all about the HC/QB combo.

And can people stop saying they aren't making elite QBs anymore?  The league has a bunch of super talented young QBs right now.

Bill Simmons on his podcast this week discusses the best skill players Brady worked with, I had forgotten most of the names brought up in the discussion.

Names like Shane Vereen....

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

IMHO The ‘problem’ is not that aren’t enough elite quarterbacks. The problem is that right there are a handful who simply won’t retire even while playing at an incredibly high level. We’ve really not seen this before. Those half dozen guys know more about the game and the play than the coaches on either sideline do. That generation can’t play forever...or can they?

So the problem is a half a dozen old guys won’t retire? I get what you are saying. Even if all of them walk away this year I find it hard to believe parity will be that much more even. Cream will rise to the top of course, but teams, chemistry, coaches still matter and there isn’t enough of any to make 32 winners. In every league, on opening day they may all have a chance but Vegas has future odds for a reason.

2 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

Exactly.  Saban is a God in Alabama, same with Urban in Ohio State but I think that is weakening a bit.  Sweeny in Clemson.  These guys can do no wrong and their kids either get in line of find another school because there are a dozen 5 star recruits waiting to take their place.   It's better right now to be a college coach than an NFL HC.    Unless you're Gruden and you are going to get 100 million dollars to essentially ruin a franchise. 

...exactly why Saban bailed on the 'Fins....didn't have the golden hammer to intimidate divas..............

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/10/2018 at 11:49 AM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...exactly why Saban bailed on the 'Fins....didn't have the golden hammer to intimidate divas..............

I don't think he ever intended to stay in Miami.  I think it was a stepping stone to get from LSU to Alabama and not have the fans in Louisiana be as upset.