The gap between the haves and have-nots is growing wider

notwoz

An interesting story in the Washington Post. It doesn't add a lot by way of analysis (or at least what most fans already recognize), but the fact that the topic is being discussed is significant: 

"The deluge of incompetence and/or surrender poses a threat to the product. The league is littered with terrible teams that have either given up hope or dropped the delusion they had any to begin with. Those teams, time and again over the next eight weeks, will pollute the schedule. Ready for Giants-49ers on Monday night?"

Has the league killed the goose that laid the golden eggs?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/11/06/nfl-gap-between-haves-have-nots-is-growing-wider/?utm_term=.4db00ca19b77

Good article, though a summation of something I think all (ok, most) of us on TBD see happening.

Let's hope that next year we're one of those teams with a quality QB on a rookie contract, so we can spend on some O talent.  Time will tell...

• Like (+1) 1

To the writer of the article:

Buffalo 27 - Minnesota 6

Buffalo defense rank in the NFL:  3rd

cap money done away with in one year: 50+ million

cap space next year: 80 million

weeks without rookie franchise qb: 3.5

in other words, settle down, Francis.

We can talk that way but you can’t.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Man, I haven't looked at the league standings in a while. The report's not wrong. There are a lot of teams that suck. 15 under .500! But again, when a handful of teams dominate, and other teams are destroyed in the first half of the year, what else is a team going to do? They're going to give up. These guys are already paid. How do you incentivize a 2-7 team? You don't. 

The beauty of the NFL however is that ***** evens out.  And quickly.  When the rams have to pay goff they wont have the same talent around him.  Same with wentz in philly.  Saints will lose breed sooner than later and also will have to pay their very talented rookie class from last year about the same time.  

Seahawks and falcons are a good example.  When they paid their QBs...they became worse teams as a result.  Just because Brady takes the league average for a qb doesnt mean everyone does. 

• Like (+1) 2

Kind of a confused article in which the author doesn't know exactly what he is trying to say.

He seems to be suggesting we are seeing a newer, smarter, wheeling and dealing type of league in which the benefits of tanking are better understood, and more teams are willing to engage in it on varying levels. 

Edited by Fadingpain
  • Like (+1) 1

If your GM drafts well at key positions then you can spread the wealth around to build a quality roster. Then you can pick and choose who is worth the money after the rookie deal or draft replacements. It all boils down to the QB position. Once you hit on that then everything else becomes a bit easier. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, PittsforDave said:

A good start would be to stop rigging games for the select few teams. 

Make it a fair and balanced game and it wont be so lopsided. 

...exactly....the "fix" is definitely "in".......good Lord when I thought I had heard it all after 56 years......

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...exactly....the "fix" is definitely "in".......good Lord when I thought I had heard it all after 56 years......

It can't possibly be a team having bad management who make bad decisions and only continue the mediocre type football.  Nah, it's the league "fixing" things.  Still can't understand why conspiracy theories are so popular. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

It can't possibly be a team having bad management who make bad decisions and only continue the mediocre type football.  Nah, it's the league "fixing" things.  Still can't understand why conspiracy theories are so popular. 

...pretty sad commentary to even offer it bud....

• Like (+1) 1

The League decided more passing and scoring would be a better product. They just forgot to check if they had the inventory. Ten years ago or more, a really good defense could negate a really good QB. When they shifted the rules to get more scoring they created a game where only a great QB can beat a great QB. Since there isn't enough great QBs for everyone, some teams are just plain left out.

So what do you do? You can't create more great QBs, and they don't want to give up the scoring they believe will make the product more popular. They can either change the rules to encourage QBs to move from team to team, which just means you have the same problem, just on different teams, or you change the rules to make the running game as productive as the passing game. I'm guessing they would need to change rules on holding, maybe pre snap motion or anything else they can do to give the non QB teams a boost. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

These guys are killing me, could not stop laughing at that one; man what happened to TBD?

25 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Seriously, I question some of those who post here really follow the game or are just looking for a passing fancy?

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

The beauty of the NFL however is that ***** evens out.  And quickly.  When the rams have to pay goff they wont have the same talent around him.  Same with wentz in philly.  Saints will lose breed sooner than later and also will have to pay their very talented rookie class from last year about the same time.  

Seahawks and falcons are a good example.  When they paid their QBs...they became worse teams as a result.  Just because Brady takes the league average for a qb doesnt mean everyone does. 

True.

In different words... Resigning existing talent is the end of a high performing team.

The only way a team can beat the system long term is by drafting consistently well. Entry level contracts don't gut a team like free agent contracts.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, boater said:

True.

In different words... Resigning existing talent is the end of a high performing team.

The only way a team can beat the system long term is by drafting consistently well. Entry level contracts don't gut a team like free agent contracts.

And a player taking a hometown discount doesnt hurt either.  Unfortunately we pay a hometown premium.  :)

• Like (+1) 1

I disagree with the sentiment of the article because there are always 5-6 teams whose seasons fall apart early and they go into a tank mode of trading vets and playing the young guys. Then there are 3-4 elite front running Super Bowl contenders followed by 4-6 teams who are secondary contenders who can get hot and contend. Then the rest of the league is just trying to make the playoffs. 

The balance isn't that much more different than it has been in years past. The Saints, Rams, Chiefs, and Pats are elite contenders and then you have the Panthers, Steelers, Vikings, Chargers, Falcons, and possibly one or two other teams are in the "If they get hot" category.