Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Billsfan1972

QB's by round

Recommended Posts

Logan Thomas was taken higher than AJ McCarron. 

 

Amazing how many of the late round QBs have been on the Bills (even for training camp/preseason - ? not 100% sure they were here):

 

2003: Gibran Hamdan

2004: Losman

2005: Cassel, Fitz, Derek Anderson, Orton

2006: VInce Young, Matt Leinert (?), Travaris Jackson

2007: Kevin Kolb, Trent Edwards, Tyler Thigpen

2008: Brian Brohm, Matt Flynn (?)

2010: Levi Brown, Joe Webb

2011: Tyrod Taylor, TJ Yates

2013: EJ, Barkley

2014: Logan Thomas, McCarron

2016: Cardale Jones

2017: Peterman

2018: Allen

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I have said it many times recently, that I cant believe how many people keep defending or saying that Nate deserves more chances when he hasnt shown anything in real games or much in his college career that would say he deserves as many chances or more as he has had to this point to play in the NFL.....

when will you guys STFU?...seriously?  ask yourselves....

1. how many qbs are on the roster?

 

2.  who are they and are they available to start this weekend?

 

3. go back and take a basic math course and then root for who is out there?

 

choices:

1. DA still in protocol and says f...that, i don't wanna go in there...

 

2. give josh a few leap frog pills and send him out..

 

3. send matt barkley out there to determine.....umm yeah

 

4. send nate out there and see if he can build upon last week and whether or not he might be in your backup plans next year.

 

it's obviously common sense to give nate another chance. if they send anyone else out there, it's only to make sure we lose.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, billsredneck1 said:

when will you guys STFU?...seriously?  ask yourselves....

1. how many qbs are on the roster?

 

2.  who are they and are they available to start this weekend?

 

3. go back and take a basic math course and then root for who is out there?

 

choices:

1. DA still in protocol and says f...that, i don't wanna go in there...

 

2. give josh a few leap frog pills and send him out..

 

3. send matt barkley out there to determine.....umm yeah

 

4. send nate out there and see if he can build upon last week and whether or not he might be in your backup plans next year.

 

it's obviously common sense to give nate another chance. if they send anyone else out there, it's only to make sure we lose.

Sorry mrs Peterman, your right what else could they do but start your boy.

 

Oh yeah, they could have actually brought someone in capable of playing even mediocre football in the NFL instead of starting the season with almost 0 NFL experience at the QB position. After the mess of the Baltimore game, they could have brought in options to have a somewhat capable backup QB behind Allen instead of waiting til over 1/3 of the season is over.

 

But how could you give up on the gem that is Nate and all that promise he has shown in the half games he makes it through in his starts? You cant just give up on a guy like that.......

7 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

The same can be said of Josh Allen, and that applies to his entire football career, but for the incredibly high price we paid to get him.  That and the fact that McBeane are literally gambling their jobs on his success are the only reasons why he will be given every chance to succeed here.  

 

But he shouldn't be in that position.  He should be sitting on the back burner as a make or break project while the real QB plays football for the Bills.

 

 

Right, b/c the Bills organization has no history of any kind doing business with middling journeyman talents at the QB position! 

 

This is the franchise that just had AJ McCarron in camp and has been playing Derek Anderson off the street!  To name a couple of names from the last few months! 

 

You really aren't tuned in, are you?

 

 

 

Except that Allen had some success in college, enough that scouts had him as a 1st rounder with the potential to be one of the best from the draft of he reached his potential. Some even said it was possible he could go 1st overall. I'm sure Nate had similar scouting reports on him. I remember the debates by the writers who fought over how Nate was going to go 1st overall ........

 

I wont argue that he should be sitting and watching, and that it seems crazy that these guys would hitch the careers on the biggest boom/bust prospect at the position. Even crazier that they didnt spend the offseason putting every resource into getting him as much talent as possible to surround him and the best coaches and experts to work with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

Logan Thomas was taken higher than AJ McCarron. 

 

Amazing how many of the late round QBs have been on the Bills (even for training camp/preseason - ? not 100% sure they were here):

 

2003: Gibran Hamdan

2004: Losman

2005: Cassel, Fitz, Derek Anderson, Orton

2006: VInce Young, Matt Leinert (?), Travaris Jackson

2007: Kevin Kolb, Trent Edwards, Tyler Thigpen

2008: Brian Brohm, Matt Flynn (?)

2010: Levi Brown, Joe Webb

2011: Tyrod Taylor, TJ Yates

2013: EJ, Barkley

2014: Logan Thomas, McCarron

2016: Cardale Jones

2017: Peterman

2018: Allen

Thanks for the legwork from you and the OP. I thought this same thing about Logan and McCarron. Shows this braintrust and the Bills FO in general have made some poor decisions.  

 

A couple of other points of interest to me were how many QB's were taken in some years and how QB's have moved to the top of the draft recently making late round finds more difficult. People rave about Brady being a 6th rounder, but the truth is that he was the 7th QB taken in the draft. Now that's a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

 

What I'm hoping for is that this draft is a redo of 2004 with 4 QB's taken in the first, but we had the 4th choice of JP. This time we had the 3rd of the group and I'm praying Allen becomes our Rothlesbuger and Rosen is JP2. At least we drafted in a deep class and there could be 3-4 franchise guys.

Looking back at 2013, that was one of the worst years ever for QB's. We took the #1 QB off the board and it was EJ. That's just pathetic.Imagine first shot at a QB in some of those other years. We'd be set.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Look closely at the list and after the second round I recognize almost no names.  Two caught lightning in a bottle......  Russel Wilson (dropped significantly due to his height and skin colour) and Prescott (again skin colour) who had everything fall into place year one and we slowly are seeing his true colours.......

 

Just because you spell colour like that doesn’t mean you have some lofty morality to lecture people on the subject

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Yeah it's pretty easy to be pessimistic I mean if the QB turns out bad you're right if he turns out good who cares you have a good QB.

 

Exactly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

How many times have the Bills drafted a top 10 QB?  Try ZERO.  

They have no track record when it comes to top 10 QBs. 

2004....trade the losman pic and a few add ins and BAM.....BIG Ben. Uuggghhh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bangarang said:

 

Its easy to be pessimist when the QB hasn’t given you much reason to be optimistic.

 

2-3 as a raw rookie starter on a team that's 0-4 w/o him.  Yeah - Allen sucks. 

 

If only we still had Tyrod - now finally back to being a permanent NFL backup even on one of the league's worst teams.

 

More likely you are unwilling to like any real option, but I'll wait here with you while we wait for Aaron Rodgers to become a FA.

 

What the actual F is wrong with Bills fans?

Edited by BobChalmers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

 

2-3 as a raw rookie starter on a team that's 0-4 w/o him.  Yeah - Allen sucks. 

 

His record doesn’t tell you how good (or bad) he actually was in those games. Notice how you failed to mention any of his other stats. He is the best QB we have though which is also a bit sad.

 

Quote

 

If only we still had Tyrod - now finally back to being a permanent NFL backup even on one of the league's worst teams.

 

Not sure what this has to do with anything but okay.

 

Quote

 

More likely you are unwilling to like any real option, but I'll wait here with you while we wait for Aaron Rodgers to become a FA.

 

I didn’t like Allen as a prospect before we drafted him and his play hasn’t done much to change my mind. I hope he ends up being great but I’m also not going to be ignorant to what’s actually happening on the field. 

 

Quote

 

What the actual F is wrong with Bills fans?

 

Many things I suppose.

Edited by Bangarang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

2012 was a really good QB draft. Funny how early on it was thought of one of the best, then horrible fools gold with all busts (luck and RGIII) with Russel Wilson the only good grab to now with Foles SB MVP, heck Osweiler with some starts in a SB winning season, Cousins, and Russell Wilson winning a SB. Tannehill at least starting as long as he is, although i don't get the Dolphins holding their breath with him by this point. Didn't realize all those guys were in the same draft plus Luck HAS to rebound to at least rookie form at some point (which was really darn good).

 

He already has....Luck has lit the NFL up in terms of passing yards and TDs thus far this year, here are his stats for 8 games:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/2018.htm#all_passing

 

No. Player 
Age Pos G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD
12 Andrew Luck 29 QB 8 8 3-5-0 225 342 65.8 2187 23 6.7 8 2.3 42 6.4 6.7 9.7 273.4 96.2 65.4 10 76 6.00 6.28 2.8 1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want Allen to do well as the Bills invested a lot in him.  The other #1's to date like Allen have been a little bit of a mixed bag. 

 

The issue is this coaching staff and their idiocy in ignoring the offensive side of the ball and their continual trotting out of NP and blind support of him.

 

That is why I started the thread to show the stupidity of the entire Process and how they approached the QB position.

Edited by Billsfan1972

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Look closely at the list and after the second round I recognize almost no names.  Two caught lightning in a bottle......  Russel Wilson (dropped significantly due to his height and skin colour) and Prescott (again skin colour) who had everything fall into place year one and we slowly are seeing his true colours.......

It really is amazing how Wilson and Prescott dropped past the second round because of their skin color, and teams somehow missed the skin color of Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson, De Shone Kaiser, Jameis Winston, Teddy Bridgewater, EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Robert Griffith, etc., etc., etc.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

It really is amazing how Wilson and Prescott dropped past the second round because of their skin color, and teams somehow missed the skin color of Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson, De Shone Kaiser, Jameis Winston, Teddy Bridgewater, EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Robert Griffith, etc., etc., etc.....

Yes I did re-evaluate and probably was quick on the trigger......  But Wilson height was a definite concern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BobChalmers said:

 

2-3 as a raw rookie starter on a team that's 0-4 w/o him.  Yeah - Allen sucks. 

 

If only we still had Tyrod - now finally back to being a permanent NFL backup even on one of the league's worst teams.

 

More likely you are unwilling to like any real option, but I'll wait here with you while we wait for Aaron Rodgers to become a FA.

 

What the actual F is wrong with Bills fans?

Yeah, he is the backup to the #1 overall pick in this years draft, it was their plan all along to start Taylor until they felt Mayfield should take the reins. It's not like Mayfield is just blowing the league away with his play that they have no choice but to bench Taylor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Yeah, he is the backup to the #1 overall pick in this years draft, it was their plan all along to start Taylor until they felt Mayfield should take the reins. It's not like Mayfield is just blowing the league away with his play that they have no choice but to bench Taylor.

And he got concussed and thus Mayfield came in, produced and we'll see the results.  

 

At least Cleveland had a plan and a QB.  The Bills had Peterman.

 

BTW Clevelend as we all know Fired both their HC & OC.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Yeah it's pretty easy to be pessimistic I mean if the QB turns out bad you're right if he turns out good who cares you have a good QB.

 

What if your pessimism isn't just pessimism for pessimism's sake though? Some people just love being negative, I get that. Others were very clear pre-draft about which QBs they were optimistic about and which they were pessimistic about. Expecting people to change their minds because of who the Bills draft is asinine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Look closely at the list and after the second round I recognize almost no names.  Two caught lightning in a bottle......  Russel Wilson (dropped significantly due to his height and skin colour) and Prescott (again skin colour) who had everything fall into place year one and we slowly are seeing his true colours.......

You must've missed Cousins (dropped due to the lack of success of his predecessors in the same system and his skin colour)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

2012 was a really good QB draft. Funny how early on it was thought of one of the best, then horrible fools gold with all busts (luck and RGIII) with Russel Wilson the only good grab to now with Foles SB MVP, heck Osweiler with some starts in a SB winning season, Cousins, and Russell Wilson winning a SB. Tannehill at least starting as long as he is, although i don't get the Dolphins holding their breath with him by this point. Didn't realize all those guys were in the same draft plus Luck HAS to rebound to at least rookie form at some point (which was really darn good).

Are you really including Luck as a bust?! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want to mention in here that Dak Prescott is very average. The minute they tried to make him into a true NFL quarterback, he's shown he isn't great. His first year was all about simple concepts. Now Dallas is in a weird spot because there is no 5th year option and they kind off have to pay him. This might become Redskins-Cousins all over again. 

 

If you are going to get a quarterback, take him high. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I just want to mention in here that Dak Prescott is very average. The minute they tried to make him into a true NFL quarterback, he's shown he isn't great. His first year was all about simple concepts. Now Dallas is in a weird spot because there is no 5th year option and they kind off have to pay him. This might become Redskins-Cousins all over again. 

 

If you are going to get a quarterback, take him high. 

 

Yea Dak is not Romo. He is kind of Alex Smith esque. He can make the safe plays and is a threat with his legs and if you give him a run game and a defense he will win you games. But he hasn't shown any progression as a passer at all. I think he was underrated coming into the league... and probably is a bit overrated now after that great rookie year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

2012 was a really good QB draft. Funny how early on it was thought of one of the best, then horrible fools gold with all busts (luck and RGIII) with Russel Wilson the only good grab to now with Foles SB MVP, heck Osweiler with some starts in a SB winning season, Cousins, and Russell Wilson winning a SB. Tannehill at least starting as long as he is, although i don't get the Dolphins holding their breath with him by this point. Didn't realize all those guys were in the same draft plus Luck HAS to rebound to at least rookie form at some point (which was really darn good).

 

Who needs foles or wilson - we got TJ graham.

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

 

Yea Dak is not Romo. He is kind of Alex Smith esque. He can make the safe plays and is a threat with his legs and if you give him a run game and a defense he will win you games. But he hasn't shown any progression as a passer at all. I think he was underrated coming into the league... and probably is a bit overrated now after that great rookie year.


Very tentative - looks like Tyrod more often than you would want in a starting QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dopey said:

Are you really including Luck as a bust?! 

I'm just appeasing the seemingly large Luck haters. But the injuries have simply derailed his career. Sucks but Colts might be thinking they'd have Wilson rather.

 

But IMHO Luck is fantastic. From rookie year when he played us I was psyched about his career. He gave us no chance and was methodical, smart, accurate. Moved the chains to kill clock before throwing a 2 score game winning TD with 2 minutes left on an 8 minute drive with a lot of completed in bounds passes. Rookies don't do that haha, they get nervous, mess up, hell even the good rookies just score too fast like setting up a FG for a 6 point lead instead of 10 with plenty of time on the clock. Most just throw interceptions or 3 and outs.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

 

He already has....Luck has lit the NFL up in terms of passing yards and TDs thus far this year, here are his stats for 8 games:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/2018.htm#all_passing

 

No. Player 
Age Pos G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD
12 Andrew Luck 29 QB 8 8 3-5-0 225 342 65.8 2187 23 6.7 8 2.3 42 6.4 6.7 9.7 273.4 96.2 65.4 10 76 6.00 6.28 2.8 1 1

I know. Luck is awesome. Just a lot of haters on him for some weird reason that I'm qualifying even without him it's a great draft. If you choose to consider him as I do a future consistebt all-pro Quarterback makes my point all the better. If you're convinced he's a bust (he's not) then it's a great QB draft regardless

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×