(hypothetical) Alabama vs. Bills spread

Alabama vs. Bills with spread  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got?

• Bills -28.5
    • Bama +28.5

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Honest question, “how many Bama games have you seen this year?” I just ask because some people are acting like we are talking about “any” college team. With the exception of Clemson, Alabama may be 28.5 points better than any other team in college football. Their QB didn’t take a 4th quarter snap until last week. That was their toughest matchup. It was a 29-0 win, at night, in Baton Rouge. LSU was considered the 3rd best team in the country. 

Additionally, guys are developed at Alabama at a level that they aren’t at other schools. 48.3% of 5 star recruits that go to Alabama get picked in the 1st round. 17% of 5 star recruits that go elsewhere get picked in the 1st round. They had the number 1 recruiting class in the country 7 straight years until this past year!! They could land up to 10 5 stars next year!! 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/alabama/ContentGallery/Alabama-Football-Recruiting-Ten-5-star-recruits-that-could-end-up-at-Alabama--118308045/Amp/

The point is that they aren’t just some good college team. The gap from Alabama to the 3rd best team in college football is greater than the gap between the 3rd best team in the country and the 50th best team.

Kirbs, you’re one of my favorite posters here and have been for a long time. After Kirby Puckett, you’re probably my second-favorite Kirby in sports. Only the fluffy pink Nintendo character gives you a run for your money. 

That said, this just feels like rehashing the same lazy morning sports radio call-in show topic we hear every year. Can [terrible NFL team] even beat [great NCAA team]?

The answer is yes, every time. 

42 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

Kirbs, you’re one of my favorite posters here and have been for a long time. After Kirby Puckett, you’re probably my second-favorite Kirby in sports. Only the fluffy pink Nintendo character gives you a run for your money. 

That said, this just feels like rehashing the same lazy morning sports radio call-in show topic we hear every year. Can [terrible NFL team] even beat [great NCAA team]?

The answer is yes, every time. 

I appreciate the kind words!! You always have solid takes and the best avatar on the board.

The only reason that the topic is back up is because an actual Vegas oddsmaker set the line at 28.5. The point was to supposed to be that this conversation wasn’t started by some TBD poster’s opinion or a WGR caller. If this game were to be played the line would be 28.5 The entire conversation wasn’t supposed to be “can the Bills beat Alabama?” It was “can the Bills beat Alabama by 28.5 points?” I happen to think that it’s about 30-10. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

9 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I think a more interesting thread is who would win in a fight? Alabama Trent Richardson v NFL Trent Richardson v 2017 Trent Richardson. Make it a triple threat. I might take Alabama Trent.

I don't know why I'm having a ton of fun with this thread, because I find it so silly and am on the complete opposite end of the spectrum as you (I think it's a guaranteed *** whooping even if we were to cut our entire roster and play our practice squad and mess around with fun Wildcat plays lol.. it would be a fun relaxing Sunday for all Bills involved. Jerry Hughes would run in to take snaps and run over kids)

2017 Trent probably weighs 300 pounds I got him, you got Heavy Weight boxing champ v 2 Welter Weights!

18 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I guess for me, it’s more about the 28.5. If I were betting this game, I’d be betting Bama. The game would be something like 30-10 IMO. Alabama isn’t some college team that has some NFL players. They probably have 20-30 guys on that roster now that will be in the NFL and 15 or so guys that will be drafted in the 1st 2 days. Now, some of them are young but elite talents like Jeudy, Harris and Tua will make a few plays (even against our strong defense). Their OL has multiple guys that would start on our OL now (Williams and Pierschbacher). Their defense has a few stars as well (specifically Quinnen Williams). The Bills would do some scoring but I don’t see them winning by 29 or more.

Always appreciate your posts, Kirby. 

I’m a huge Bama fan as I used to live there, two of my nephews go there, my oldest son goes and and my middle son wants to go there. Given the connection, I have stayed up with them and use them as the successful team I root for. 

Now living back in the ROC, I still believe that we would trounce them. Bama’s D isn’t a ‘normal’ Bama D this year (too many preseason injuries, particularly at LB) and I believe our D would shut them down, for the most part.

it would be an enjoyable game to watch.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, TroutDog said:

Always appreciate your posts, Kirby. 

I’m a huge Bama fan as I used to live there, two of my nephews go there, my oldest son goes and and my middle son wants to go there. Given the connection, I have stayed up with them and use them as the successful team I root for. 

Now living back in the ROC, I still believe that we would trounce them. Bama’s D isn’t a ‘normal’ Bama D this year (too many preseason injuries, particularly at LB) and I believe our D would shut them down, for the most part.

it would be an enjoyable game to watch.

Out of curiosity, score prediction? 

28 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I appreciate the kind words!! You always have solid takes and the best avatar on the board.

The only reason that the topic is back up is because an actual Vegas oddsmaker set the line at 28.5. The point was to supposed to be that this conversation wasn’t started by some TBD poster’s opinion or a WGR caller. If this game were to be played the line would be 28.5 The entire conversation wasn’t supposed to be “can the Bills beat Alabama?” It was “can the Bills beat Alabama by 28.5 points?” I happen to think that it’s about 30-10. 

Avatars matter. I'd seriously consider a 50 point spread if Vegas knew what they were doing (they've been getting owned this year with the lines expecting less CFB like blowouts. NFL is going through a weird transition with aging quarterbacks in their final Super Sayan III stage, and younger quarterbacks not named Russell Wilson, Cam Newton, or Matt Ryan finally stepping up to compete against them.. all leads to a huge disparity until the old guard finally gets the heck out of the league and the Bills won't have to play in a league with 6 HOF quarterbacks playing suspiciously ageless.. YAYYY!) 

So Vegas is dumb and I'd bet my life savings on this spread. Only thing holding us back is Daboll calling more than 10 pass attempts.

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Out of curiosity, score prediction? 

I'd go 21-7 Bills. Bills up 21-0 early throwing against the Bama secondary, then McDermott trying to bleed the clock for the final 3 and a half quarters running up the middle for 1 yard x3 and then punting.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Avatars matter. I'd seriously consider a 50 point spread if Vegas knew what they were doing (they've been getting owned this year with the lines expecting less CFB like blowouts. NFL is going through a weird transition with aging quarterbacks in their final Super Sayan III stage, and younger quarterbacks not named Russell Wilson, Cam Newton, or Matt Ryan finally stepping up to compete against them.. all leads to a huge disparity until the old guard finally gets the heck out of the league and the Bills won't have to play in a league with 6 HOF quarterbacks playing suspiciously ageless.. YAYYY!) 

So Vegas is dumb and I'd bet my life savings on this spread. Only thing holding us back is Daboll calling more than 10 pass attempts.

forum user "PetermanThrew5Picks" thinks said Peterman will lead the Bills to a 50+ point win.  You realize picks are bad, right?

1 hour ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Again, you think it’s 50, I think it’s 20. The people that do this for a living think it’s 28.5. They know WAY more than we do.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Again, you think it’s 50, I think it’s 20. The people that do this for a living think it’s 28.5. They know WAY more than we do.

They know more than we do, and are probably less enthralled with the unstoppable juggernaut that is the 2018 Buffalo Bills than the locals

19 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

King Kong easily as Godzilla has short arms and no lateral movement.

Give me Godzilla though against the Army as King Kong was downed by 1930s planes with propellers and Godzilla has the breath weapon.

Yeah but King Kong's hand eye coordination was suspect especially when you consider how bad he was at swatting those planes

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

True, but they've been getting killed on NFL gambling lines this year is all I'm saying.. relative to other years. Atyptical NFL seasons where blowouts or at least crazy high scoring is screwing up those "any given Sunday lines" of a 7 point game between a top team vs bottom.

And I don't expect them to have any metric for hypothetical college vs pro.. so I see it like the gambling line of Godzilla vs King Kong in ping pong.. how on Earth can they measure that. Same bookies that made ludicrous lines on Mayweather and McGregor, no one knows what their doing when their crossing over leagues.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

5 hours ago, dorquemada said:

forum user "PetermanThrew5Picks" thinks said Peterman will lead the Bills to a 50+ point win.  You realize picks are bad, right?

I already said run the damn wildcat every play, put Trumaine Edmunds up there to block and show Alabama what a young man who is far from a bust should look like in college.

All those projected high draft picks will find out real quick if they belong in his tier.

Also it's been said already Peterman beat national champs Clemson. College is easy for these dudes. He wasn't at a league history worst QBR, he was great, good enough to be drafted, good enough for Gruden to say....

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jon-gruden-made-wild-prediction-about-nathan-peterman-before-2017-nfl-draft/

RED FLAG! ABORT! DON'T DRAFT SOMEONE GRUDEN WANTS

I'd change it to PetermanBeatClemson when we get relegated to CFB and become the most dominant program ever.. because we'd have the best quarterbacks in the league. Sign Tebow and Johnny too. 

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

This doesn't necessarily mean a ton to the question in the OP, but just hypothetically speaking, how many of the current Bills starters on offense do we envision starting for an NFL team next year? I think there's a decent chance Alabama's current defense has more starters in the NFL next year than the Bills current offense does.

On 11/8/2018 at 7:57 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s 15 years ago!! With the amount of info out there now the bust rate is WAY lower. McKinnie started 162 games in the NFL and went to the Pro Bowl. Is that bad? 

I watch a lot of football. I don’t (at all) think that a 30-10 prediction is ridiculous. Anyone that thinks this is a massive blowout hasn’t been paying attention to Bama. 

Im not talking about bust.  What Im talking about is they dominated in college.  Alabama is dominating lesser college talent not NFL.  Maybe youre just not knowledgable or competent enough to grasp that.

With as much as you trash this team you probably should find a new one.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

On 11/8/2018 at 12:04 PM, rodneykm said:

The Bills. Even with Peterman at QB.

I really hate this argument though. You are comparing the best of the best college players vs a college team with some NFL caliber talent on it. 

It would be a bloodbath. Alabama would get destroyed. 

There are always threads like this and it is always a joke. There's no way an NFL team would ever lose to a college team. Bigger, faster, stronger, smarter, more experienced, more complicated schemes, the list goes on...

Alabama wouldn't score a point, I'd bet.

5 hours ago, DCOrange said:

This doesn't necessarily mean a ton to the question in the OP, but just hypothetically speaking, how many of the current Bills starters on offense do we envision starting for an NFL team next year? I think there's a decent chance Alabama's current defense has more starters in the NFL next year than the Bills current offense does.

And those Alabama starters will be inexperienced rookies that will take time to acclimate to the speed and physicality of the NFL game, being supported by experienced teammates and knowledgeable coaches.

A defense of rookies (not even a collection of all the best rookies, just rookies from one club) would be a joke and would get destroyed by anyone.

On 11/8/2018 at 11:05 AM, Soda Popinski said:

It's really not even close to debatable.   

4 td spread, changes things a bit.

Honestly, considering McDermott'so style I am going to vote for Bama. Well get a 2 td lead and sit.

Edited by Paulus