(hypothetical) Alabama vs. Bills spread

Alabama vs. Bills with spread  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got?

• Bills -28.5
    • Bama +28.5

Not going to lie, it really makes me angry the Bills are the laughing stock of the league.  The Raiders have completely quit 8 games into Gruden's tenure.  Eli looks near as bad as Peterman and that's with Odell.  The Cardinals would be winless if it weren't for the 49ers, who would be winless after Jimmy G. went down if it wasn't for the Raiders.  The Lions look like they've quit, same with the Browns.  

35 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Why would Nate Peterman even throw the ball?

We're talking about +300lb linemen with years of NFL strength and conditioning against fat kids. The best college players on the line still get embarrassed by "average" NFL players their first few years; Clowney, Garrett, etc... There is a reason why even those 1st rounders every one assumes are on Alabama right now will take 3+ years to develop.

The only question that will affect the outcome of this game is whether the Bills stop themselves so they don't humiliate these kids.

Yes, but those players are trying to fit new schemes and getting used to the NFL in general.

I'm talking one game, Bama vs Bills. Bills probably win but they aren't winning by 4 TDs.  They are baiting Nate into one pick 6

38 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Why would Nate Peterman even throw the ball?

We're talking about +300lb linemen with years of NFL strength and conditioning against fat kids. The best college players on the line still get embarrassed by "average" NFL players their first few years; Clowney, Garrett, etc... There is a reason why even those 1st rounders every one assumes are on Alabama right now will take 3+ years to develop.

The only question that will affect the outcome of this game is whether the Bills stop themselves so they don't humiliate these kids.

Having watched Alabama quite a few times this year, I think Quinnen Williams and Raekwon Davis would rival the Bills defensive interior right now. Quinnen in particular looks like one of the most dominant defensive linemen we've seen in awhile. I know he's currently the highest rated linemen PFF has ever had. I think he'd feast on the Bodine and the guards.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Always one what? You actually think Nate Peterman and this offense could move the ball against Alabama

Same Nate Peterson beat Clemson and Deshaun watson (their only loss) the year they won the National Championship.  

It’s college...where NFL washouts and scrubs like Tebow are one of the GOATS.  The statistical top 10 passers in college football history were either NFL scrubs or never played in the NFL.

No chance Bama beats any NFL team, and I would easily argue Raiders are a worse team than Bills and Bama wouldn’t beat them either.  We at least have a stout defense and some runners that would run all over that Bama team as our OL mauled them.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This always comes up from time to time.

You have to remember that every player on the Bills was a collegiate standout at one point, and they are grown men with experience (some of them at least).

I think they could pitch a shutout against Alabama, and we could probably run over them....

So....Bills win easily.

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Same Nate Peterson beat Clemson and Deshaun watson (their only loss) the year they won the National Championship.  

It’s college...where NFL washouts and scrubs like Tebow are one of the GOATS.  The statistical top 10 passers in college football history were either NFL scrubs or never played in the NFL.

No chance Bama beats any NFL team, and I would easily argue Raiders are a worse team than Bills and Bama wouldn’t beat them either.  We at least have a stout defense and some runners that would run all over that Bama team as our OL mauled them.  

You’re dreaming if you think Bodine and Ducasse would “maul” that Alabama defense and “run all over” them.  

2 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

This always comes up from time to time.

You have to remember that every player on the Bills was a collegiate standout at one point, and they are grown men with experience (some of them at least).

I think they could pitch a shutout against Alabama, and we could probably run over them....

So....Bills win easily.

Easily.

The Bills would humiliate the Tide.  The current Bills roster has 34 drafted players and 19 UDFA's.  Here's the list of college teams (Through 2016) that had more than 12 or more players drafted in a year.  I won't go into the level of expereince difference either.   It's no contest. 

YEAR SCHOOL PICKS
1984 Texas 17
1946 Notre Dame 16
1953 USC 15
1945 Notre Dame 15
1975 USC 14
2004 Ohio State 14
1977 USC 13
1987 Penn State 13
1988 Oklahoma 13
1971 Ohio State 13
1975 Ohio State 13
1944 Notre Dame 13
1950 Minnesota 13
1944 USC 12
1974 UCLA 12
1982 Texas 12
1944 Texas 12
1981 Pittsburgh 12
2016 Ohio State 12
1954 Notre Dame 12
1950 Notre Dame 12
1975 Nebraska 12
1988 Miami (FL) 12
1952 Maryland 12
1976 Colorado 12
Edited by Irv

1 minute ago, mannc said:

You’re dreaming if you think Bodine and Ducasse would “maul” that Alabama defense and “run all over” them.  

Im not dreaming...we would easily run on that team, and McCoy would blow past the second level with ease for big gains while Ivory would slam it down their throat.  

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im not dreaming...we would easily run on that team, and McCoy would blow past the second level with ease for big gains while Ivory would slam it down their throat.  

I agree.  You could put the Statue of Liberty behind center and we would run it down their throats.  Passing not required. 

1 minute ago, Irv said:

The Bills would humiliate the Tide.  The current Bills roster has 34 drafted players and 19 UDFA's.  Here's the list of college teams (Through 2016) that had more than 12 or more players drafted in a year.  I won't go into the level of expereince difference either.   It's no contest. 

YEAR SCHOOL PICKS
1984 Texas 17
1946 Notre Dame 16
1953 USC 15
1945 Notre Dame 15
1975 USC 14
2004 Ohio State 14
1977 USC 13
1987 Penn State 13
1988 Oklahoma 13
1971 Ohio State 13
1975 Ohio State 13
1944 Notre Dame 13
1950 Minnesota 13
1944 USC 12
1974 UCLA 12
1982 Texas 12
1944 Texas 12
1981 Pittsburgh 12
2016 Ohio State 12
1954 Notre Dame 12
1950 Notre Dame 12
1975 Nebraska 12
1988 Miami (FL) 12
1952 Maryland 12
1976 Colorado 12

That's the number of players drafted in one year; it's not the number of players on the roster (or starters) who were eventually drafted because it doesn't include underclassmen who did not come out or who were not draft eligible.  There's every chance that there are 30 guys on the Alabama roster right now who will be drafted (although not in one year) and as many as 12 who will be day-one or day-two picks.  There's not as much of a talent gap as you think there is.  Robert Foster made the Bills 53-man roster and did not even start for the Tide last year (although he certainly got playing time). 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

Always one what? You actually think Nate Peterman and this offense could move the ball against Alabama

i also think there's something to be said for coaching and scheme.  Alabama has Buffalo beat by a mile in those to categories, even if the adult NFL players outclass the young college players physically.  The Bills appear to be so indifferent to the actual game of football that outside of some notion of pride, im not sure they even show up emotionally for the hypothetical game against Alabama, especially if it's played in T Town

I agree that the Bills ultimately win the game, but let's not pretend that this group who are just mailing it in each week, led by a clapping halfwit, are some unassailable force against the best college team in the country

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Marv Levy said:

Lets end this once and for all. The #1 ranked college team would never beat the worst NFL team. Give me the Bills this year, The Browns of the last decade, etc. It doesn't matter. Its men against early 20 somethings.

Have a good day!

It’s funny when people underestimate 20 years old. These guys all have grown man size and the strength and conditioning at Alabama is no joke. Usually their dline go in the first and second round. They also hold up well their rookie years. They usually have first round LBs as well. It’s not like this oline would be able to run at will on them. This is barely an NFL offence. The weakness of Alabama would be forcing them into nickel and pass coverage. That is not necessarily our strength. Our defence would own their offence because our dline would destroy them. 

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Just because you think it, doesn't make it so.  Alabama has three starters on their D-line who will be first or second round picks next year or the year after.  There is no reason to believe that that Bills line would line up and jam it down their throats.  It would be interesting to hear what an NFL scout would think about think about this. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think Buffalo probably wins, but I just don't think a 28.5 point spread is realistic. IMO, Quinnen Williams and Raekwon Davis would feast on Teller/Bodine/Miller and the pieces that Buffalo has on offense just aren't talented enough to hang 30 on Alabama IMO, which is basically what they'd need to beat the spread. I'm sure the defense would shut Alabama down for the most part; I just don't think the offense is talented enough to hold up their end.

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Just because you think it, doesn't make it so.  Alabama has three starters on their D-line who will be first or second round picks next year or the year after.  There is no reason to believe that that Bills line would line up and jam it down their throats.  It would be interesting to hear what an NFL scout would think about think about this. 

One of their DTs might end up being the #1 pick this year and the other is likely going to be a top 10 pick lol

• Like (+1) 2

To quote myself from this same topic several weeks back...

This is a joke. Today, there are a total of about 53 players from Alabama across all rosters in the NFL:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/college

This is taking into account all players from every year still young enough to play in the league. This likely spans upwards of 10-12 years of Alabama players. Take a look at that list and tell me how many STARTERS in the NFL are there. Sure, there are some solid players and a few stars but you couldn't field an entire starting roster with that list. Every RB on that list is an NFL backup but they dominated in college. The sole QB on that list was cut by the Bills because he couldn't beat out Peterman (AJ McCarron).

It's easy to claim that every player on a current college roster is going to be a superstar or that their QB is a "generation talent". The reality is that across time, this is obviously not true. Also, looking at drafts of NFL teams, players drafted beyond the 3rd round rarely make the starting lineup. Across an entire draft only around 30-35 players end up as starters in the NFL. There is no chance the starters from a single college team could field an NFL caliber starting lineup.

Every NFL team would crush the best college team in the country. The only way they don’t cover the spread is if the Bills decide to sit everyone they can to prevent injuries once they were up by 30+ points. Even then they couldn’t help but continue to run up the score.

My 2 cents.

Edited by BisonMan
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ProcessAccepted said:

After we are done discussing this I'd love to hear people's thoughts on who people think would win between King Kong and Godzilla in ping pong.

King Kong easily as Godzilla has short arms and no lateral movement.

Give me Godzilla though against the Army as King Kong was downed by 1930s planes with propellers and Godzilla has the breath weapon.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1