(hypothetical) Alabama vs. Bills spread

Alabama vs. Bills with spread  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got?

• Bills -28.5
    • Bama +28.5

13 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

could Nick Saban be a better NFL HC than McD?

does he take last years Bills to the playoffs?

I think thats a more interesting question. 

Well lets see....who did McDermott shamelessly plagiarize the "process" from? 

I cringe when McDermott uses that term, but the screen names it has brought here are just too funny!!! :D:lol::D

answer is simple. no

as bad as the offense is those kids would be schooled by this defense and the offense would score more points then the kids from bama.

bama is elite, but at a lower level then these nfl players.

just another stab at buffalo but they deserve it and until if/when they right the ship, they'll continue to be scrutinized and mocked.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, rodneykm said:

The Bills. Even with Peterman at QB.

I really hate this argument though. You are comparing the best of the best college players vs a college team with some NFL caliber talent on it. 

It would be a bloodbath. Alabama would get destroyed. 

Our defence would suffocate their offence. They have lots of NFL players on that defence though. I think we would move the ball but would probably need a defensive TD to cover a 28 point spread imo.

7 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Always one what? You actually think Nate Peterman and this offense could move the ball against Alabama

Im not convinced they could, this is barely an NFL offence. 

16 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I guess for me, it’s more about the 28.5. If I were betting this game, I’d be betting Bama. The game would be something like 30-10 IMO. Alabama isn’t some college team that has some NFL players. They probably have 20-30 guys on that roster now that will be in the NFL and 15 or so guys that will be drafted in the 1st 2 days. Now, some of them are young but elite talents like Jeudy, Harris and Tua will make a few plays (even against our strong defense). Their OL has multiple guys that would start on our OL now (Williams and Pierschbacher). Their defense has a few stars as well (specifically Quinnen Williams). The Bills would do some scoring but I don’t see them winning by 29 or more.

That was my thinking as well. They probably have enough NFL defenders to slow down this offence (which is more on a college level than an NFL level). I think we probably cover the spread if Allen could run on them. I don’t think we cover it with Peterman though.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Always one what? You actually think Nate Peterman and this offense could move the ball against Alabama

Why would Nate Peterman even throw the ball?

We're talking about +300lb linemen with years of NFL strength and conditioning against fat kids. The best college players on the line still get embarrassed by "average" NFL players their first few years; Clowney, Garrett, etc... There is a reason why even those 1st rounders every one assumes are on Alabama right now will take 3+ years to develop.

The only question that will affect the outcome of this game is whether the Bills stop themselves so they don't humiliate these kids.

It would be closer than you think. The argument that any pro player is better than non pro player X is incorrect. As someone who played sports at the D1 level, the difference between those that made it and those that didn't is negligible in some cases. Scouts sometimes prefer a player because of what they potentially could be. They have the size and athleticism so they take a chance on them and they go pro. Do they deserve it over someone who every step of the way has been just as good or sometimes better but doesn't have the measurables the scouts look for? Someone decides your fate because you aren't as tall or fast or whatever as this other guy that isn't currently any better than you are. Not fair imo but such is life.

Then there's the guys that don't make it because they couldn't get through school, get into drugs, get into trouble. We all knew people like this growing up. All the talent in the world but they wasted it and went down the wrong path. Those red flag type players don't make it to the pros and most don't even make it to college.

So not only do I think that a very good college team could upset a pro team but I think that under the right circumstances a team of walk on players could give them a good game as well.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, rodneykm said:

The Bills. Even with Peterman at QB.

I really hate this argument though. You are comparing the best of the best college players vs a college team with some NFL caliber talent on it. 

It would be a bloodbath. Alabama would get destroyed. 

I think it's a fair comparison. 

The Bills have some NFL caliber talent too.

26 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I guess for me, it’s more about the 28.5. If I were betting this game, I’d be betting Bama. The game would be something like 30-10 IMO. Alabama isn’t some college team that has some NFL players. They probably have 20-30 guys on that roster now that will be in the NFL and 15 or so guys that will be drafted in the 1st 2 days. Now, some of them are young but elite talents like Jeudy, Harris and Tua will make a few plays (even against our strong defense). Their OL has multiple guys that would start on our OL now (Williams and Pierschbacher). Their defense has a few stars as well (specifically Quinnen Williams). The Bills would do some scoring but I don’t see them winning by 29 or more.

Yeah, I think a lot of people underestimate just how much NFL-caliber talent a team like Alabama has.  There are far more guys on Alabama who will be drafted in the first round than there are former first round picks on the Bills.  Pretty much every starter will at least get a shot in the NFL.  Hell, Robert Foster made the Bills’ 53 this year and he didn’t even start for the Tide last year.  And then there is Alabama’s QB play and coaching, both of which are superior to the Bills’.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, WRONG JOSH said:

It would be closer than you think. The argument that any pro player is better than non pro player X is incorrect. As someone who played sports at the D1 level, the difference between those that made it and those that didn't is negligible in some cases. Scouts sometimes prefer a player because of what they potentially could be. They have the size and athleticism so they take a chance on them and they go pro. Do they deserve it over someone who every step of the way has been just as good or sometimes better but doesn't have the measurables the scouts look for? Someone decides your fate because you aren't as tall or fast or whatever as this other guy that isn't currently any better than you are. Not fair imo but such is life.

Then there's the guys that don't make it because they couldn't get through school, get into drugs, get into trouble. We all knew people like this growing up. All the talent in the world but they wasted it and went down the wrong path. Those red flag type players don't make it to the pros and most don't even make it to college.

So not only do I think that a very good college team could upset a pro team but I think that under the right circumstances a team of walk on players could give them a good game as well.

As someone who played both Madden and NCAA football, the difference is bigger than people realize.

Just listen to interviews from players about their "welcome to the NFL" moments. Some of the biggest college hitters (pozlusney) got a taste when he was knocked senseless by a much smaller runningback.

1 minute ago, unbillievable said:

As someone who played both Madden and NCAA football, the difference is bigger than people realize.

Just listen to interviews from players about their "welcome to the NFL" moments. Some of the biggest college hitters (pozlusney) got a taste when he was knocked senseless by a much smaller runningback.

I don’t think that “welcome to the NFL” moment is nearly as big a deal for guys who played for (and against) top SEC teams for three or four years.

• Like (+1) 1

Not that draft position is the end-all-be-all or anything but, looking at mock drafts for this year and next:

Alabama: 11 first round picks

Buffalo: 7 first round picks

35 of Buffalo's players were drafted in any round; Alabama probably has more than that on their roster right now.

Obviously Buffalo's players have developed in the NFL whereas some of these Alabama guys are projects, but the sheer number of NFL-ready guys that Alabama has is pretty absurd. Like I said, I really don't think the Bills could even score 29 points on them right now, much less beat them by over 29+. I also think Alabama's QB and WRs are better right now than Buffalo's.

10 minutes ago, mannc said:

I don’t think that “welcome to the NFL” moment is nearly as big a deal for guys who played for (and against) top SEC teams for three or four years.

IIRC Eric Reid put this hypothesis to the test his rookie year 2013 against Mike Tolbert. It wasn't pretty.

Lets end this once and for all. The #1 ranked college team would never beat the worst NFL team. Give me the Bills this year, The Browns of the last decade, etc. It doesn't matter. Its men against early 20 somethings.

Have a good day!

• Like (+1) 1