Doug Whaley Named Senior Vice President of Football Operations by the XFL - Eight Franchise Locations Announced

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...spot on and a damn good assessment......Whaley's slot should have been as Pro Player Personnel Director reporting to a GM with AUTHORITY......as far as Wrecks, his spotlight was lit because of his affiliation with Ravens' SB club as DL Coach.......and he moved through the ranks ONLY because his last name was Ryan just like Blowhard Buddy whose ONLY claim to fame was the "Bears 46"......he did squat after that and was an abysmal failure as a HC.....post 46, his only notoriety was punching out Gilbride....and "Buffet Boy Rob" rode the family name as well......almost like Chad KELLY riding Jimbo KELLY's name.......put up or STFU on your OWN MERITS.......

Punching out Gilbride alone will always leave a smile on my face and a warm place in my heart for Buddy Ryan. 

47 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...ditto....so I'm going to float this Cabernet induced senior moment for you to consider and hammer on me about bro, but here goes.....is it fair to say Whaley was pretty much assembled the defensive personnel Schwartz had to work with upon his arrival as DC?.....and didn't Schwartz then adapt his preconceived scheme to fit the personnel he had to work with yielding (I think) a top 5 defense?....and then the Brandon induced Wrecks hire undid all of Whaley's work because the blowhard needed "his guys"?....had to make Whaley feel really good to watch this azzclown dismantle a top 5 unit....

Yes it is very fair to say that. 

Whaley had to be torn inside like no other having to waste more draft capital on D when it was already set just fine before his arrival as you stated. Offensively the weapons were still there minus a true QB. Greg Roman actually did a real fine job with this Offense handcuffed at the QB position. Anthony Lynn learned a ton from Roman and it carried over. The only thing that was done right under Rex was Hiring Greg Roman, everything else was a complete disaster.

I often think of how this team would look If Pegulas gave Whaley full control of our HC hire instead of hand picking McD by themselves. I can almost guarantee Watson would be here, Watkins and Richie (we never would have low balled him).

Past is the past. All I can do now is hope that Allen turns out right and the FO knows what the hell they are doing next FA and draft. 

I'm happy for Doug.

14 minutes ago, Wilton Bills said:

Who cares.

I do

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Yes it is very fair to say that. 

Whaley had to be torn inside like no other having to waste more draft capital on D when it was already set just fine before his arrival as you stated. Offensively the weapons were still there minus a a true QB. Greg Roman actually did a real fine job with this Offense handcuffed at the QB position. Anthony Lynn learned a ton from Roman and it carried over. The only thing that was done right under Rex was Hiring Greg Roman, everything else was a complete disaster.

I often think of how this team would look If Pegulas gave Whaley full control of our HC hire instead of hand picked McD by themselves. I can almost guarantee Watson would be here, Watkins and Richie (we never would have low balled him).

Past is the past. All I can do now is hope that Allen turns out right and the FO knows what the hell they are doing next FA and draft. 

I'm happy for Doug

I do

...nicely done my friend...thanks..:thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, iinii said:

Punching out Gilbride alone will always leave a smile on my face and a warm place in my heart for Buddy Ryan. 

...unfortunately, the only "warmth" I feel from Blowhard Buddy is a "hot bowel movement"................

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PittsforDave said:

Good for Whaley. How he was treated in Buffalo, he deserves this. 

Congrats!!

If any former Bills exec deserves the XFL, it's Whaley.

9 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

I often think of how this team would look If Pegulas gave Whaley full control of our HC hire instead of hand picking McD by themselves. I can almost guarantee Watson would be here, Watkins and Richie (we never would have low balled him).

They would be the Browns.  We already know this.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If any former Bills exec deserves the XFL, it's Whaley.

They would be the Browns.  We already know this.

Love how people keep downplaying a senior VP job. Whaley will prob make more money this year alone than most make 20 years straight working on this site.

I was talking post Rex. I thought Pegulas would have learned to let a GM you know be a GM. We already know how that turned out and they don't. They let a rookie HC hire a rookie GM. Trust me, I pulling harder for these 2 to work out as well but you still gotta scratch your head. 

So to your Browns point. Hue would have been the HC that most likely brought a DC in that fit our current strengths no?  I cannot even speculate how the QB position would have unfolded.  So what tenure would have been better Hue or Rex? I still say Hue but that would have to be another thread.

Edited by Real McCoy

6 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I agree the XFL is probably not going to work out.  McMahon sounds like he immediately wants to go major league and there is just no way to compete with the MANY billions of dollars of backing the NFL has, as well as 32 historic brands almost every sports are emotionally vested in.  This is a much different landscape as the fools club or even the USFL.  The layout, orientation, and management of the AAF gives me like 1000% more confidence that league lasts more than 3 years.  

I don't think the XFL expects to or wants to compete with the NFL. I think the XFL wants to be more like the USFL in the 1980's and be a winter/spring league for football fans who don't want to watch the back half of the NHL and NBA seasons and spring training. Even the original XFL wasn't trying to be direct competition but just be an alternative. I don't think the XFL2 will be successful even if they apply some of the lessons they learned from the first time. I do however think there is room for a spring football league. I think there is room in the sports landscape for minor league off-season football. 

23 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Love how people keep downplaying a senior VP job. Whaley will prob make more money this year alone than most make 20 years straight working on this site.

I was talking post Rex. I thought Pegulas would have learned to let a GM you know be a GM. We already know how that turned out and they don't. They let a rookie HC hire a rookie GM. Trust me, I pulling harder for these 2 to work out as well but you still gotta scratch your head. 

So to your Browns point. Hue would have been the HC that most likely brought a DC in that fit our current strengths no?  I cannot even speculate how the QB position would have unfolded.  So what tenure would have been better Hue or Rex? I still say Hue but that would have to be another thread.

We are downplaying the Senior VP......of the "XFL" job, to be precise.  If McMahon is paying Whaley 500K i would be shocked--and it will likely only be one year anyway.  MvMahon picked Whaley because he knows he's a pushover.

As for Whaley "picking his coach--his idea of a great pick was the worst HC in the history of the NFL.  He did bring in a DC that he thought fit his D.  You just saw how that went in Cleveland.  Jackson proved to be a complete fraud.

Even if you believe he was not instrumental in hiring (he made it clear he was),  then you would acknowledge that everyone was saying the Pegulas "learned their lesson" and let Whaley pick the next HC.

Now you want to say he wasn't part of that pick either?

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

You are getting your jollies over Whaley’s salary?

you need to get a life real fast

7 hours ago, vorpma said:

Doug "almost .500 for years" with EJ Emanuel and Aaron Maybin; please tell me what Watkins is doing and Darius aint doing all that great. BTW, one former Bill Doug Marone is doing pretty good but he did not think much of Whaley!

?

Maybin? He was let go in 2010, whaley was hired in 2010. Who is darius? Watkins is 8-1. The jags are in last place in their division. 

5 hours ago, cba fan said:

You are making our point pretty clearly.

If he was given true powers like a real GM should get then he would have done better. He struggled under the weird structure of the Bills FO and still did pretty well.

How do you know he would have done better?  How do people even know what he was and was not responsible for other than some made up theory that someone posted and Whaley lovers ran with?  I mean Whaley might be the only GM in football history that did absolutely no duties as a GM according to you Whaley lovers.  Yet when it comes to good moves like say trading for Hughes that's automatically all Whaley.

Edited by Scott7975

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

How do you know he would have done better?  How do people even know what he was and was not responsible for other than some made up theory that someone posted and Whaley lovers ran with?  I mean Whaley might be the only GM in football history that did absolutely no duties as a GM according to you Whaley lovers.  Yet when it comes to good moves like say trading for Hughes that's automatically all Whaley.

I base my 100% opinion on a very visible set of events I believe to be more likely than not. IE: Because he did a decent job considering all the restraints and handicap working for a dysfunctional FO/ownership structure.

If he had real GM power he would have been allowed to hire(and fire if needed) his coachs(Hue) and others and would not have been forced to draft completely different players for the every two year scheme changes going on. He would have also drafted his QB(Watson likely and maybe Mahomes as Pegula wanted him and he may have swayed Whaley as in my scenario they are even closer friends then they were reported to be in the bad scenario, so Pegula would have had Whaley's ear in that discussion)

This is just speculation and extrapolation. A guess based on the knowledge we have and the track record of other GM's around the league who normally have full control over these things. Would it have worked out in the end? Who knows 100%, but he would have had a much better chance at success, again based on how well he did in the dysfunctional setup he was in.
He brought in enough good players to make Bills a playoff contender. We will never know if he could have taken that up a step to Super Bowl contender.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

We are downplaying the Senior VP......of the "XFL" job, to be precise.  If McMahon is paying Whaley 500K i would be shocked--and it will likely only be one year anyway.  MvMahon picked Whaley because he knows he's a pushover.

As for Whaley "picking his coach--his idea of a great pick was the worst HC in the history of the NFL.  He did bring in a DC that he thought fit his D.  You just saw how that went in Cleveland.  Jackson proved to be a complete fraud.

Even if you believe he was not instrumental in hiring (he made it clear he was),  then you would acknowledge that everyone was saying the Pegulas "learned their lesson" and let Whaley pick the next HC.

Bolded

1. 100% your made up speculation

2. Did they really? If Pegulas did "learn their lesson" Why did they preach continuity and then proceed to fire Whaley right after the draft? Pegulas already knew Doug's fate at that time, if they did not we should be worried all the more. So knowing they are going to S&^t can Doug after the draft how much input from Doug do you really think they took in as value added on the HC hire? You could be right though but it doesn't add up in my mind.

As far as Hue and Rex go. Must of us knew Rex was a clown show fraud before coming here. A very large majority of fans and posters supported Hue's being our next HC. Hue's first shot as a HC was also a clown show no doubt, but was never seen before like Rex with the NYJ. Also, the Bills and Browns rosters in 2014-2016 were bipolar opposites talent wise.

We still don't 100% know what went down between McD, Pegula and Whaley. If I had to imagine McD's and Whaley's vision were 100 opposite on how to build the team. All we do know for Whaley's 3rd coaching staff we went all D happy in an offensive league. I have a feeling this is where Doug finally stepped up to ownership and McD before the draft and said something? It didn't match McD's plan and Pegula had such a woody for him they parted ways.  Knowing how much Whaley wanted Watson it's clear as day he had zero control of the 2016 draft and his tenure was over.

10 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Hue wanted to keep Schwartz here. He had already spoken to him. Schwartz hadn't made up his mind but ultimately he was under contract to the Bills and they turned down requests to interview him from the Giants and the Redskins for their DC jobs before they hired Rex. If Hue had come here he'd have been a glorified OC acting as HC and I think he'd have got the 2015 into the playoffs.... largely on the back of the already excellent defense. But as that defense aged, and it was starting to the performance would have fallen off and Hue's lack of clear direction as a leader would have sunk him ultimately.