Doug Whaley Named Senior Vice President of Football Operations by the XFL - Eight Franchise Locations Announced

4 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Good for him! I wish him luck. He is a good man

...agree...although Buddy groomed him for GM job, we'll NEVER know exactly how much authority he actually had......was he a bonafide decision making GM or a "personnel shopper" given a list to "go find these positional guys"?......and he did do a good job trolling 24/7 for personnel in an effort to improve the roster.....

24 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

1( he wasn’t even apart of the Organization for maybin

2) Sammy is making $16 million for the best offense in football

3) ,500 is better than 2-7

4). Dareus is starting for the Jags

5) EJ had a better rookie season than Allen

The noise was that Whaley liked Watson.  If Whaley got the qb, he would be considered a top GM.  It’s really that simple.  Those teams were loaded minus the Qb.  

And Allen is the type of qb Whaley used to fall in love with ftr.

Watkins is a mediocre receiver who never lived up to being drafted in the first round, not a clutch player, and has a bad attitude! KC can keep him, but he was run off by the Rams.

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Yes because according to the some people on the board Whaley was great.  Also according to the same people, they don't understand why Whaley got fired because the Pegulas picked the head coaches, Nix or Rex picked all the players in the draft that didn't work out, and Overdorf managed all the cap and contracts.  So what was it that Whaley DID do here that made him so great if everyone else had the GM responsibilities?

Or is it #3?  Tough to remember.  Depends on the week I guess. ?

You are making our point pretty clearly.

If he was given true powers like a real GM should get then he would have done better. He struggled under the weird structure of the Bills FO and still did pretty well.

3 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Your wrong, Whaley was the Personnel Director under Buddy Nix and he did draft Maybin and Dareus, EJ was more than likely Buddy Nix although not sure what role Whaley played. Bottom line is Bill Cowther and Whaley engaged in a power struggle over drafting and Whaley lost, he has a lousy draft record and inability to work with his coaches! Like I said, he is not working in the NFL for a reason!

Okay well you are wrong on almost every count. 

Cowher left the Steelers in 2006. Whaley worked there another 4 years after that as a pro personnel coordinator. He never had a power struggle with Cowher.

Whaley was not working for the Bills when they drafted Maybin, and when they drafted Dareus he was still Director of Pro Personnel (as in professionals already in the league and not the draft) and was only promoted after the Dareus draft to Player Personnel Director and Assistant GM. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, cba fan said:

You are making our point pretty clearly.

If he was given true powers like a real GM should get then he would have done better. He struggled under the weird structure of the Bills FO and still did pretty well.

...and WHERE or WHEN did ANYBODY say he was "great"?......even if you want to consider the Steelers' GM Colbert's "tree", DonoHOLE was a rotten apple that fell from that tree losing his ego battle with Cowher and bestowed the "El Presidente" title by Ralph (1st one in club history) to fuel his egotistical control freak nature.....at the same time, I think Whaley DID know personnel and was decent at what he did, despite us NEVER knowing what his actual authority was as GM......

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Okay well you are wrong on almost every count. 

Cowher left the Steelers in 2006. Whaley worked there another 4 years after that as a pro personnel coordinator. He never had a power struggle with Cowher.

Whaley was not working for the Bills when they drafted Maybin, and when they drafted Dareus he was still Director of Pro Personnel (as in professionals already in the league and not the draft) and was only promoted after the Dareus draft to Player Personnel Director and Assistant GM. 

You are correct, I stand corrected; but it known a serious power struggle occurred between Whaley and Cowher; he arrived after Maybin! You have on both and my humble apology. But I stand firm that if Whaley was competent, he would be in the NFL today and not Vince McMahon circus league, the XFL.

Just now, vorpma said:

You are correct, I stand corrected; but it known a serious power struggle occurred between Whaley and Cowher; he arrived after Maybin! You have on both and my humble apology. But I stand firm that if Whaley was competent, he would be in the NFL today and not Vince McMahon circus league, the XFL.

You are confusing Whaley with Donahoe who was also GM here, also from the Steelers and DID lose a power struggle with Cowher. Long tenured Head Coaches do not have power struggles with junior personnel guys which Whaley was at the time of Cowher's reign.

Whaley probably doesn't want to take a pro personnel type job. He interviewed for two GM openings last offseason. Personally I don't ever expect him to be a GM again.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...agree...although Buddy groomed him for GM job, we'll NEVER know exactly how much authority he actually had......was he a bonafide decision making GM or a "personnel shopper" given a list to "go find these positional guys"?......and he did do a good job trolling 24/7 for personnel in an effort to improve the roster.....

As is evident by the countless threads and hundreds of posts, there will never be a consensus about his skills as a GM. All I know is that he was a good man and we should wish him well in his endeavors. Truly, the only FO/coach I have truly disliked from the bottom of my heart is Rex Ryan because he was a lazy, incompetent coach who had delusions of grandeur.

4 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I agree the XFL is probably not going to work out.  McMahon sounds like he immediately wants to go major league and there is just no way to compete with the MANY billions of dollars of backing the NFL has, as well as 32 historic brands almost every sports are emotionally vested in.  This is a much different landscape as the fools club or even the USFL.  The layout, orientation, and management of the AAF gives me like 1000% more confidence that league lasts more than 3 years.  

McMahon has billions of his own.  And Im one of those guys that thinks the league tips things in the favor of teams with fair weather fans as much as possible.  So I may check it out.

5 hours ago, wppete said:

I liked Doug Whaley, didn’t do a great job here toward the end. Wish him luck. When does the XFL start playing games????

Hindsight is always 20/20 right. In my opinion the 2 things that destroyed Whaley was 1) Letting Buddy Nix influence the pick for EJ and 2) Not putting his foot down with Brandon i.e “dont let Rex leave the building” along with Brandons hands in other football ops. If Whaley would of grown a pair and said him or me on a few occasions he probably would still have have a job and we probably wouldnt be still circling the doldrums of hell.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

As is evident by the countless threads and hundreds of posts, there will never be a consensus about his skills as a GM. All I know is that he was a good man and we should wish him well in his endeavors. Truly, the only FO/coach I have truly disliked from the bottom of my heart is Rex Ryan because he was a lazy, incompetent coach who had delusions of grandeur.

...spot on and a damn good assessment......Whaley's slot should have been as Pro Player Personnel Director reporting to a GM with AUTHORITY......as far as Wrecks, his spotlight was lit because of his affiliation with Ravens' SB club as DL Coach.......and he moved through the ranks ONLY because his last name was Ryan just like Blowhard Buddy whose ONLY claim to fame was the "Bears 46"......he did squat after that and was an abysmal failure as a HC.....post 46, his only notoriety was punching out Gilbride....and "Buffet Boy Rob" rode the family name as well......almost like Chad KELLY riding Jimbo KELLY's name.......put up or STFU on your OWN MERITS.......

Happy for Whaley and wish him luck. This Bills F'd this guy over pretty bad once our rookie owners took over. He had a pretty damn good team built overall. Was a HC and QB away of his choice from really great things here.

8 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Hindsight is always 20/20 right. In my opinion the 2 things that destroyed Whaley was 1) Letting Buddy Nix influence the pick for EJ and 2) Not putting his foot down with Brandon i.e “dont let Rex leave the building” along with Brandons hands in other football ops. If Whaley would of grown a pair and said him or me on a few occasions he probably would still have have a job and we probably wouldnt be still circling the doldrums of hell.

Nix and ownership was 100% determined on a QB his last draft. Nothing was going to change that even if Whaley wanted it to.

Our owners flat out hired Rex. Nothing was going to change that even if Whaley wanted it to. Should he of had a baby tantrum to Terry and Kim? When the owner of a company makes a change you either follow or GTFO correct?

Edited by Real McCoy

14 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Happy for Whaley and wish him luck. This Bills F'd this guy over pretty bad once our rookie owners took over. He had a pretty damn good team built overall. Was a HC and QB away of his choice from really great things here.

Nix and ownership was 100% determined on a QB his last draft. Nothing was going to change that even if Whaley wanted it to.

Our owners flat out hired Rex. Nothing was going to change that even if Whaley wanted it to. Should he of had a baby tantrum to Terry and Kim? When the owner of a company makes a change you either follow or GTFO correct?

Missin my point- if that went down on my watch, im walking out the door, Whaley should have done the same. We all know the back story of what you mentioned- I dont think anyone with a lick of sense would dispute that. So yes, you “GTFO” because the NFL recycles anyways and that move would of likely been good for his career. 

51 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...and WHERE or WHEN did ANYBODY say he was "great"?......even if you want to consider the Steelers' GM Colbert's "tree", DonoHOLE was a rotten apple that fell from that tree losing his ego battle with Cowher and bestowed the "El Presidente" title by Ralph (1st one in club history) to fuel his egotistical control freak nature.....at the same time, I think Whaley DID know personnel and was decent at what he did, despite us NEVER knowing what his actual authority was as GM......

I never said he was great.

I said he did pretty well under the constraints.

1 hour ago, QCity said:

He was a far, far worse GM than most people realize. The fans that blame his firing on Rex and claim he fielded a great roster don't understand how to build a team past what's required for their fantasy leagues. He wasn't "saddled" with a poor QB situation, he was a part of it and didn't know how to remedy it. Doug Whaley was a king in the eyes of the myopic fan that craves instant gratification -- those who can only see as far as next month.

I disagree...he was forced into EJ, wasn't even really him that drafted him, it was Nix as Whaley took over.  And they had their hand forced (before Whaley) to have to take a QB in what was known to be one of the worst QB drafts in a while.  

Then Rex was forced on him who pushed hard for TT who he had wanted for like 4 years.  And 2 years later Whaley was gone.   

8 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Happy for Whaley and wish him lucked. This Bills F'd this guy over pretty bad once our rookie owners took ownership over. He had a pretty damn good team built overall. Was a HC and QB away of his choice from really great things here.

...ditto....so I'm going to float this Cabernet induced senior moment for you to consider and hammer on me about bro, but here goes.....is it fair to say Whaley was pretty much assembled the defensive personnel Schwartz had to work with upon his arrival as DC?.....and didn't Schwartz then adapt his preconceived scheme to fit the personnel he had to work with yielding (I think) a top 5 defense?....and then the Brandon induced Wrecks hire undid all of Whaley's work because the blowhard needed "his guys"?....had to make Whaley feel really good to watch this azzclown dismantle a top 5 unit....

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, cba fan said:

I never said he was great.

I said he did pretty well under the constraints.

...sincere apology as I never said YOU tagged him as great....we're on the same page as the guy doing a good job.....again I apologize for the misunderstanding bud.....:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1