Doug Whaley Named Senior Vice President of Football Operations by the XFL - Eight Franchise Locations Announced

1 hour ago, transient said:

Uh... Beane?

When your team is 2-7 I guess 3-5 looks pretty good?  Jags not all that now that the AFC South is healthy this year...

Good point but I do think Marone would have done much more with competent drafts!

3 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Maybe their fans will be as forgiving to him as ours were and clamor for him to stay after he fails for 4 years. 

He did a great job just look acrossed the league at the players he aquired and at the few still on our roster.  The problem was the coaches he didnt get to pick and the contracts Brandon was structuring

50 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Whaley wasn’t nearly as bad as people labeled him.  He got stuck with a bad coaching staff and saddled with a poor QB situation that never really broke his way.

He was a far, far worse GM than most people realize. The fans that blame his firing on Rex and claim he fielded a great roster don't understand how to build a team past what's required for their fantasy leagues. He wasn't "saddled" with a poor QB situation, he was a part of it and didn't know how to remedy it. Doug Whaley was a king in the eyes of the myopic fan that craves instant gratification -- those who can only see as far as next month.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, vorpma said:

Doug "almost .500 for years" with EJ Emanuel and Aaron Maybin; please tell me what Watkins is doing and Darius aint doing all that great. BTW, one former Bill Doug Marone is doing pretty good but he did not think much of Whaley!

Well for a start Whaley didn't draft Maybin, didn't draft Dareus, was involved in but not the GM when they drafted EJ.... so of the 4 you name he drafted 1. 

Nor am I arguing Doug was great. He was a .500 GM. That isn't great. It is a darn lot better than any other GM of my 16 year Bills fandom. I had no problem with him being fired I don't pine to have him back... but I still think he was the best guy we have had in the GM office in a good while. I hope Brandon Beane proves to be better. So far he has proven nothing. 

I liked Doug Marrone as our Head Coach too by the way. Arse of a man but a solid coach. I know him and Whaley hated each other but I liked the job both were doing at that point. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, vorpma said:

Doug "almost .500 for years" with EJ Emanuel and Aaron Maybin; please tell me what Watkins is doing and Darius aint doing all that great. BTW, one former Bill Doug Marone is doing pretty good but he did not think much of Whaley!

1( he wasn’t even apart of the Organization for maybin

2) Sammy is making $16 million for the best offense in football

3) ,500 is better than 2-7

4). Dareus is starting for the Jags

5) EJ had a better rookie season than Allen

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Well for a start Whaley didn't draft Maybin, didn't draft Dareus, was involved in but not the GM when they drafted EJ.... so of the 4 you name he drafted 1. 

Nor am I arguing Doug was great. He was a .500 GM. That isn't great. It is a darn lot better than any other GM of my 16 year Bills fandom. I had no problem with him being fired I don't pine to have him back... but I still think he was the best guy we have had in the GM office in a good while. I hope Brandon Beane proves to be better. So far he has proven nothing. 

I liked Doug Marrone as our Head Coach too by the way. Arse of a man but a solid coach. I know him and Whaley hated each other but I liked the job both were doing at that point. 

The noise was that Whaley liked Watson.  If Whaley got the qb, he would be considered a top GM.  It’s really that simple.  Those teams were loaded minus the Qb.  

And Allen is the type of qb Whaley used to fall in love with ftr.

This caused me to do some Googling on XFL.

Replacing the coin toss at the beginning of each game was an event in which one player from each team fought to recover a football 20 yards away in order to determine possession. Both players lined up side-by-side on one of the 30-yard lines, with the ball being placed at the 50-yard line. At the whistle, the two players would run toward the ball and attempt to gain possession; whichever player gained possession first was allowed to choose possession (as if he had won a coin toss in other leagues).

If people want WWE, they'll WWE. They aren't going for hybrid football and wrestling.

I give the league one year.. which is how long they lasted last time.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Whaley's 2015 roster was a top 5 in the NFL roster if you excluded QB. Then they found a serviceable QB in Tyrod they should have beem shoe ins for the post season. A good coach that roster would have won at least 11 games. 

That 2015 team was a SB contender with a good qb.  It’s laughable how different last year’s 9-7 was from that year’s 9-7.  The 2015 team would have destroyed last years version. 

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Your wrong, Whaley was the Personnel Director under Buddy Nix and he did draft Maybin and Dareus, EJ was more than likely Buddy Nix although not sure what role Whaley played. Bottom line is Bill Cowther and Whaley engaged in a power struggle over drafting and Whaley lost, he has a lousy draft record and inability to work with his coaches! Like I said, he is not working in the NFL for a reason!

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

That 2015 team was a SB contender with a good qb.  It’s laughable how different last year’s 9-7 was from that year’s 9-7.  The 2015 team would have destroyed last years version. 

The 2015 team wasnt 9-7. It Ryan'd its way to 8-8.