Doug Whaley Named Senior Vice President of Football Operations by the XFL - Eight Franchise Locations Announced

On 12/5/2018 at 9:42 AM, May Day 10 said:

Dallas, St Louis, Houston, LA, DC, Tampa, Seattle, New York

I'm shocked that the Bay Area did not get one.

When the XFL was first around, the San Francisco Demons had a strong following and many fans went to those games.

4 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I'm shocked that the Bay Area did not get one.

When the XFL was first around, the San Francisco Demons had a strong following and many fans went to those games.

They’ll need one now to replace the Oakland/L.A./Oakland/Las Vegas Raiders.  Come to think of it, the replacement team could probably play the Raiders straight up.

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

They’ll need one now to replace the Oakland/L.A./Oakland/Las Vegas Raiders.  Come to think of it, the replacement team could probably play the Raiders straight up.

Exactly!

This was a perfect scenario for the XFL.

1 minute ago, The Senator said:

You’re right - he might not be the worst GM in Bills history.  That distinction has to go to either Buddy Nix or Stew Barber.

I kinda lump he and Buddy in together, as they were two peas in a pod. I barely remember Barber, was still pretty young during his tenure. 

I think the XFL 2020 could work if they make it more of an unofficial development league looking to fill the niche market of winter/spring football. I think they have the right idea in giving themselves much more time to build the infrastructure of the league and get a coherent plan to make the league have a sensible business model. If they can actually get a decent TV deal they might stand a chance to tap sports landscape. I think they learned their lessons from the first time around hopefully. Now granted they could have learned their lessons and still fail.

24 minutes ago, harv shitz said:

I kinda lump he and Buddy in together, as they were two peas in a pod. I barely remember Barber, was still pretty young during his tenure. 

Barber was the guy that drafted Tom Cousineau #1 overall (using the #1 pick they obtained from the 49ers for O.J. Simpson)  then failed to pick him up at the airport, failed to take him to his hotel, failed to take him to dinner, failed at everything.  Cousineau was upset, his agent was infuriated. Cousineau went to the CFL.

(The silver lining is, that when Cousineau returned to the NFL after his CFL contract was up, the Bills promptly traded his rights to Cleveland for a first round pick, which we used to draft Jim Kelly.)

1 minute ago, harv shitz said:

I remember the Cousineau pick, and him never signing, but never knew about the failures that went with it. Interesting.

Quite a difference from the treatment Terrell Owens got - private jet, dinner at Tempo, finest hotel, so much wining and dining that Owens decided to stay another day and called his wife to come and look at available homes for sale.  The Bills sent a private jet to bring her here!

I don't get some of the Whaley hate. He was able to find some decent draft picks, was good at scraping the barrel for contributors and was a witch in trades.

Cap management was poor.

I think the XFL is making the same mistakes all upstart pro football teams make. Putting teams in solid NFL cities.

Could think of some solid metros that don't have NFL football that would be great fits

Some are cities burned by the NFL that have stadiums

Some are growing cities overlooked by the NFL, many with stadiums

And plenty of 1-3 million plus metros with no pro sports teams.

I'd also target capitals to get past red tape.

2 conferences 4-6 teams each - top 2-3 records per conference get in

Potential East Teams

Toronto - beat the NFL into the expansion into Canada (media center for the league)

Orlando - 2.4 million metro, holding pro sports teams

Columbus - fastest growing metro in the midwest, supporting MLS, 2 million metro (capital)

Raleigh/ Durham - fast growing 1-2 million plus metro, no pro sports (capital)

Richmond - million plus metro, no pro sports (capital)

Providence or Hartford - 1 million metro, no pro sports - close to major population centers (Capitals), fills the NE gap

Louisville - million metro, no pro sports, fills the south/midwest gap

Potential West Teams:

Oakland - Football clout, has stadium, lost team, bay area presence

San Diego - Football Clout, has stadium, lost team, Southern CA presence

Saint Louis - Football clout, has stadium, lost team, 3 million metro

San Antonio - has stadium, supports pro team, overlooked by NFL, 2.4 million metro

Oklahoma City - fast growing, holding NBA team, 1.3 millon and growing

Salt Lake City - supports NBA, 1.3 million metro, the 'Broncos' of the XFL
Portland - supports NBA, West hub not in CA, metro 2.3 million

If I've learned anything, don't put pro football teams in markets with embedded NFL teams

Edited by RocCityRoller