Ohio -52 UB-17 - Buh-bye ranking.

PromoTheRobot

This game now has little bearing on the MAC East.  Even if they don’t win they should beat BG the final week of the season and win the East.

My previous prediction was votes at 9-1, and top 25 at 12-1 after the MAC Championship.  That has obviously stepped up a bit with them getting points enough to be on the top 36 in both polls currently.  However they still need teams in front of them to lose.  The voters are unlikely to just plain leap frog them like they would with a top conference team.  I’m thinking by 11-1 they should creep in.  

However, I like where PTR’s head is at! @Buffalo716  Buf, I think he is just predicting for this week where he thinks they will be...not for me to speak for PTR, though.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Why do you have them at 21 PTR?

they aren’t in the top 25 of AP or Coches poll to my knowledge 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2018/11/05/ncaa-re-rank-alabama-clemson-lead-top-25-gets-jumbled/1884409002/

Not sure how official the above ranking is but...

2 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

This game now has little bearing on the MAC East.  Even if they don’t win they should beat BG the final week of the season and win the East.

My previous prediction was votes at 9-1, and top 25 at 12-1 after the MAC Championship.  That has obviously stepped up a bit with them getting points enough to be on the top 36 in both polls currently.  However they still need teams in front of them to lose.  The voters are unlikely to just plain leap frog them like they would with a top conference team.  I’m thinking by 11-1 they should creep in.  

However, I like where PTR’s head is at! @Buffalo716  Buf, I think he is just predicting for this week where he thinks they will be...not for me to speak for PTR, though.

Part of me is a little disappointed the stakes for the Ohio game were lowered significantly by their loss Wednesday. But the rest of me is glad I can start planning my trip to Detroit.

As for that #21 ranking, not sure what to make of that article but it's fun to see us tracked above 25. The Amway/USA Today Coaches Poll is a little a legit poll but that article is just an educated guess what it will be next week.

I should edit the thread title. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

I still think it's a pretty big game for a number of reasons. First off- ESPN2.  It's national and a good showing is always great for recruiting.  Also, players will want to showcase their talents for the next level on a national stage.  With a win at Ohio, BG and in the MAC championship, that might position UB for a bigger Bowl game against a P-5 second tier team.  Lose to Ohio and they will probably be slotted in for the Dollar General or Potato Bowl or whatever.

Win and it takes the "anything can happen (lose)" possibility off the table vs. Bowling Green.  

• Like (+1) 1

Ohio game is still big.  Can clinch the division front door, having beat all comers.  10-1, likely to be 11-1 heading to the MAC Title game.  beat Ohio and top 25 ranking might be border-line (end up 12-1 and they probably will be top 25 heading to the bowl, and not 11-2).  End up 12-1 and they will probably get invited to a much more prestigious bowl game and get some degree of national attention as a top 25 team that has 1 loss (against a really good team). 

11-2, they are just your typical MAC fodder win or lose in the mid-december appetizers before the real games start 

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2018/11/05/ncaa-re-rank-alabama-clemson-lead-top-25-gets-jumbled/1884409002/

Part of me is a little disappointed the stakes for the Ohio game were lowered significantly by their loss Wednesday. But the rest of me is glad I can start planning my trip to Detroit.

As for that #21 ranking, not sure what to make of that article but it's fun to see us tracked above 25. The Amway/USA Today Coaches Poll is a little a legit poll but that article is just an educated guess what it will be next week.

...and forgive me for misrepresenting you, PTR, as I forgot about the tweet showing UB at 21...oh man, it is sooo close.  Please run the table, Bulls.

17 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I still think it's a pretty big game for a number of reasons. First off- ESPN2.  It's national and a good showing is always great for recruiting.  Also, players will want to showcase their talents for the next level on a national stage.  With a win at Ohio, BG and in the MAC championship, that might position UB for a bigger Bowl game against a P-5 second tier team.  Lose to Ohio and they will probably be slotted in for the Dollar General or Potato Bowl or whatever.

Win and it takes the "anything can happen (lose)" possibility off the table vs. Bowling Green.  

Zow, I am hoping for this so much.  That's why getting into the top 25 is essential.  It would be great if we actually played in a bowl against another top 25 team, above or below us!

8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Even with winning out it unfortunately looks like they will be in the Cheribundi Tart Cherry Boca Raton Bowl or Dollar General Bowl or something close

I said way back in August that army was the pivotal game for going bowling and it looks like it is

You're probably right. They only way UB gets better is if a Power 5 bowl needs a fill-in.  But I'll take the Boca Bowl over Boise any day. (Better weather, easier travel from the Northeast) Mobile not so much.

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You're probably right. They only way UB gets better is if a Power 5 bowl needs a fill-in.  But I'll take the Boca Bowl over Boise any day. (Better weather, easier travel from the Northeast) Mobile not so much.

For sure

the kids on the team would enjoy that 

9 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Idk how official that USA poll is buddy

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fbs/usa-today-coaches-poll

accoriding to this USA poll they recieved 22 votes but still not top 25

we are close buddy. Horns Up

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

That article was basically a prediction of what next week's ranking will be. So it's not official, but it is a legit coaches poll.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

16 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

So, basically when you look at it UB needs 7 1/2 times more votes/points than what they are getting right now to get into the top 25, just arguable  based upon what #25 is getting now (151 points).

For the first time I'm thinking there may be enough prejudice out there against a team like UB and the MAC that even if they impressively get to 12-1 they may be kept out in that 26-30 range.

I know, MAC teams like NI, Toledo and Ball State have been in the top 25 (especially Ball with its 12-0 season heading into their MAC Championship game defeat against the Bulls in 08).  However, I still think it could be a thing.

3 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

So, basically when you look at it UB needs 7 1/2 times more votes/points than what they are getting right now to get into the top 25, just arguable  based upon what #25 is getting now (151 points).

For the first time I'm thinking there may be enough prejudice out there against a team like UB and the MAC that even if they impressively get to 12-1 they may be kept out in that 26-30 range.

I know, MAC teams like NI, Toledo and Ball State have been in the top 25 (especially Ball with its 12-0 season heading into their MAC Championship game defeat against the Bulls in 08).  However, I still think it could be a thing.

It’s a bit of a thing but if UB wanted to take it by the horns they needed to take care of business vs army

they would be ranked 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

It’s a bit of a thing but if UB wanted to take it by the horns they needed to take care of business vs army

they would be ranked 

I absolutely hear ya, Buf, but let’s be honest too: Army is pretty damn good this year.  7-2 right now I think and their only losses are to Oklahoma and pretty darn good Duke,

5 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I absolutely hear ya, Buf, but let’s be honest too: Army is pretty damn good this year.  7-2 right now I think and their only losses are to Oklahoma and pretty darn good Duke,

Of course and Army is struggling to get ranked too

they are damn good

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.